Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2018 7:34:36 AM EDT
Last week my high quality China made dial caliper's thumb wheel broke off while I was looking at it sideways so I'm in the market.  I use mine for knife making primarily and I don't (think) I need a super accurate one as the cheap POS I was using seemed to do everything I needed.

Honestly, I'm not interested in spending over $50 on one.  Are the digital's ok in that range or should I stick with dial calipers?  What do you use?  Edumacate me, ARF!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell your purpose could be handled by a completely old school vernier cheapo.  The ones with no digital or dial.   You wouldn’t break them ever.

That said my eyes say a basic dial 6”.   Look in reloading section of gun suppliers for a no name that should be about $27

Digital will have a higher failure rate and the dead battery issue.  Dials can sit for 100 years and still work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
This set of igaging digital calipers works for me for what I do.

Clicky
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This set of igaging digital calipers works for me for what I do.

Clicky
View Quote
ditto on iGaging. Good stuff at reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
HS, I couldn't get your link to return anything at Ebay.  Just a can't find that item page.  It sounds like I'll be ordering an iGaging digital caliper.  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HS, I couldn't get your link to return anything at Ebay.  Just a can't find that item page.  It sounds like I'll be ordering an iGaging digital caliper.  Thanks for the replies.
View Quote
I don’t know why. It’s the $29.99 set. If I were using my tools for a living I’d chose a different pair but I use mine working on machine tools more than with them so they’re likely to get knocked off a lathe, or dropped, or crushed, etc, and I’m not destroying a nice set. Like I said, they work for what I need.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don’t know why. It’s the $29.99 set. If I were using my tools for a living I’d chose a different pair but I use mine working on machine tools more than with them so they’re likely to get knocked off a lathe, or dropped, or crushed, etc, and I’m not destroying a nice set. Like I said, they work for what I need.
View Quote
Yeah I hear ya, I just ruin metal as a hobby.  I'd be more picky about my tools if this was my job.  And more broke, I'd be a lot more broke.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top