Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2021 11:45:02 AM EDT
If you had to narrow down the Bible verse, chapter, book, etc., that inspires  you most, what would you pick?

Me--Psalm 91

NKJV

? Psalm 91 ?

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the [a]fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
4 He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and [b]buckler.
5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
6 Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
8 Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall [c]bear you up,
Lest you [d]dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will [e]set him on high, because he has known My name.
15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With [f]long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.”

Footnotes
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The book of Romans.  It has so much in those few chapters that have helped to shape and solidify my understandings of the faith.

but I'm glad we are not limited to only having access to portions of the Bible, but have access to it's entirety to help see more clearly the Truth.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure about inspires, but keeps me grounded...I'd say Exodus.

It is a treasure of knowledge, hidden in plain sight.

God will deliver us. Perhaps not on our timing. Perhaps not without hardships.

It also reminds us that he will provide along the way.

Separately, it reminds us that there are evil craft that can do apparent miracles and that we must not be deceived by these works.

It also causes me to realize there are things I will never fully understand, like why God would harden the heart of pharaoh, seemingly removing his will to choose and killing his son in the end (which seemed to be inevitable despite the pharaoh's choices had he not had a hardened heart), and why God would prevent Moses from entering the promised land after such a long and faithful journey.

Also, it is referred back to in future books that shows God is faithful, and all powerful.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Most relevant to me that proved true is Proverbs 21:9 regarding a quarrelsome wife.  

Most inspiring is Genesis 19:15, where Lot was mercifully told to flee to save his family.

It's not the same, but I've been trying to escape the black hole pull of Northern VA most of my life,
so I could raise my family in a good, rural small town.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most relevant to me that proved true is Proverbs 21:9 regarding a quarrelsome wife.  

Most inspiring is Genesis 19:15, where Lot was mercifully told to flee to save his family.

It's not the same, but I've been trying to escape the black hole pull of Northern VA most of my life,
so I could raise my family in a good, rural small town.  
View Quote

Ha. King Solomon does drop some good red pills about women of which he had much experience. Should be required reading for all bachelors. Doubly so in our post feminist world where women have the power of the state covering for every piss poor decision they make while even good men are considered less important than chopped liver.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgot to mention:  my second choice would be the entire book of Ecclesiastes.  Nothing like pointing out that most of what people find important doesn't matter in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#6]
John 15:13 is, in my opinion, the most important passage. Encompassing all of the traits that we as followers are to possess. I also believe that it spells out the significance of the sacrifice of Christ.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you had to narrow down the Bible verse, chapter, book, etc., that inspires  you most, what would you pick?

Me--Psalm 91

NKJV

? Psalm 91 ?

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the [a]fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
4 He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and [b]buckler.
5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
6 Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
8 Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall [c]bear you up,
Lest you [d]dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will [e]set him on high, because he has known My name.
15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With [f]long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.”

Footnotes
View Quote
View Quote

Psalm 91 is one my favorites.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Romans 8:38-39

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I hope that's true. Some days I don't feel like it, but I still hope.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Romans 8:38-39

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I hope that's true. Some days I don't feel like it, but I still hope.
View Quote

To me this passage speaks directly to whether or not a person can lose his salvation if he once believed.

Okay, I suppose theoretically a person could become a believer, then become so depraved that they renounce their salvation, but if it were up to God He's never going to voluntarily let you go once He's got you.  I would think only in the rarest circumstances could a true believer fall away.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I cannot read John 1 aloud without choking up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
This gives me the warm and fuzzies...

Matthew 25:14-30
English Standard Version
The Parable of the Talents
14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[a] and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents,[b] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant.[c] You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh... and this one also,

Matthew 13:44-46
New International Version
The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl
44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I cannot read John 1 aloud without choking up.
View Quote

I read it the other day, and am going to try and memorize John 1:1-5. Awesome.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of mankind. And the Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not grasp it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Psalm 139 really blows me away.

I could have written that myself.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Luke 7:36-50 literally brings tears to my eyes when I only think about the passage.

Now one of the Pharisees was requesting Him to eat with him, and He entered the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. And there was a woman in the city who was a sinner; and when she learned that He was reclining at the table in the Pharisee’s house, she brought an alabaster vial of perfume, and standing behind Him at His feet, weeping, she began to wet His feet with her tears, and she wiped them with the hair of her head, and began kissing His feet and anointing them with the perfume. Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet He would know who and what sort of person this woman is who is touching Him, that she is a sinner!”

And Jesus responded and said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he replied, “Say it, Teacher.” “A moneylender had two debtors: the one owed five hundred denarii, and the other, fifty. When they were unable to repay, he canceled the debts of both. So which of them will love him more?” Simon answered and said, “I assume the one for whom he canceled the greater debt.” And He said to him, “You have judged correctly.” And turning toward the woman, He said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has wet My feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave Me no kiss; but she has not stopped kissing My feet since the time I came in. You did not anoint My head with oil, but she anointed My feet with perfume. For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but the one who is forgiven little, loves little.” And He said to her, “Your sins have been forgiven.” And then those who were reclining at the table with Him began saying to themselves, “Who is this man who even forgives sins?” And He said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#17]
John 3:16
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#18]
ephesians 6:10-18
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Prepare to meet your God
Amos 4:12

I get chills every time I read that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
My 3 favorites.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity saith the Preacher. Ecclesiastes.

And Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Prepare to meet your God
Amos 4:12

I get chills every time I read that.
View Quote

I’ve cried when reading John 11. Verse 35, which I think is the shortest verse in the King James Bible.

Read the whole chapter.

“Jesus wept.”

Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#22]
2 Timothy 1:7

New King James Version
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

1 Timothy 2:12
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#24]
As a bald man I'm a fan of 2 Kings 2:23–24.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As a bald man I'm a fan of 2 Kings 2:23–24.
View Quote

Ditto. Many have said that the punishment didn't fit the crime in that case but that is for God to decide. God obviously has little patience for mouthy disrespectful children, especially those who harass and insult His Holy Prophets.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth

Colossians 3:2
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#27]
“If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

John 8: 31-32
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#28]
So many and many good ones already.

2 Timothy 2:15
King James Version
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
“If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

John 8: 31-32
View Quote

It’s amazing how so many leave out the first half of those verses.
Good choice.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It’s amazing how so many leave out the first half of those verses.
Good choice.
View Quote

Thanks. Context matters.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Another vote for the first chapter of John.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get the Tshirt here: https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p78/DontTreadShirt.html

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/uploads/5/0/6/2/50623279/dont-tread-frontnback_orig.jpg
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Not sure I agree with using the Bible to prop up political messages. But that isn’t what this thread is about.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Not many love this book, but I love Ecclesiastes, and the realism it approaches our role in eternity as humans with. I particularly love its ending, so simple, yet so difficult to do.

Ecclesiastes 12:13–14 (ESV): 13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#36]
John 10:16

And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Currently

Originally Posted By Douay Rhiems:
Luke 11:9

9And I say to you, Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Luke 11:9

9And I say to you, Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be opened to you.

or

Mark 11:24

24Therefore I say unto you, all things, whatsoever you ask when ye pray, believe that you shall receive; and they shall come unto you

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I just found this thread and I wanna add Hebrews 13, especially verse 6. It really helped me when I was going through some hard times.

“So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear What man shall do unto me.”
??Hebrews? ?13:6? ?KJV??
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
ephesians 6:10-18
View Quote

THIS!!!!!!!! Armor of God.  So amazing to pray for the Armor of God upon ourselves.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#40]
The Word of God revives me,
speaks to me, gives me direction, wisdom & renewed hope (vision). There are many inspirations (all treasures) I've received through the Word over the span of my lifetime.

Scripture:

Isaiah 40: 7-8
The grass withers, the flower fades, When the breath of the LORD blows upon it; Most certainly [all] the people are [like] grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever.

Most likely these excerpts:
John 1: 1-14, 3: 1-21

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Roman's 8:31
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 1:47:52 AM EDT
[#42]
John 16:33, Amplified Bible:

I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace. In the world you have tribulation and distress and suffering, but be courageous [be confident, be undaunted, be filled with joy]; I have overcome the world.” [My conquest is accomplished, My victory abiding.]
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I love finding them in daily life. Trijicon is an easy example we all know.

But today I was seeing how much glucosamine my GSD had left, put the top back on, and set it down. As I was reaching for my coffee I set next to it, I saw "Proverbs 12:10" on the bottle I hadn't seen before.

Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast,

but the mercy of the wicked is cruel.
View Quote

Finding verses on products or through strangers are always great to me. They always seem to come at the right time. They're unexpected and always seem to offer a perspective.

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Proverbs 3:5-6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top