Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2022 6:28:19 PM EDT
1990 F-250 with 56,600 miles.  I bought it a few years back from an estate. Old guy only used it to pull his camper. I was told he even had the trans rebuilt somewhere along the way while on a trip out of town.  No longer pulling a camper, just my handy dandy garden truck, trash barge, or sand hauler.  
Shop just called, 2nd gear is toast so it hangs in 1st and then finally bumps to third when you let off the gas a little. $2500 with upgrades to latest specs, new torque converter. Week and a half to get it done.  They will swap the rear main if it’s leaking any as well.  
At least I finally found a good shop. Heard about these guys for years and nothing but good stuff.

Update 11/5.  Wednesday the shop owner called to tell me he’s pushing hard to get it back to me by the weekend. Even offered up his truck so I can get some yard work done.  Then he was feeling bad about the rebuild taking so long and said he’ll let me decide the price, if I want to even pay him.  My decided price is what we discussed since I was not out of pocket for a rental or any financial loss.  I’ve been in his shoes.

Got the call yesterday afternoon it was done.  Lady behind the desk said just come pick it up after hours and get back with them on billing Monday.  I just need to know if the needed to replace the rear main is all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
E4OD? If so that’s a great price for a rebuild, I spent $4400 for a remanufactured one, my local shop recommended that option since they were having difficulty getting parts for a rebuild. They said the rebuild would have been about the same price.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a bargain and then some.

Here just the labor alone would be a very large part of what you were quoted.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
That's not bad. I just paid $3,600 for a GM reman 4l60e installed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
That’s a pretty truck.  Save it, OP!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a C6 transmission.... horrible unit should update to at least an overdrive unit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
E4OD? If so that’s a great price for a rebuild, I spent $4400 for a remanufactured one, my local shop recommended that option since they were having difficulty getting parts for a rebuild. They said the rebuild would have been about the same price.
View Quote

Yep.  E4OD.  Wow.  Sounds like I’m getting one hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That’s a pretty truck.  Save it, OP!
View Quote

That’s the plan.  Wife was with me one time dumping tree limbs at the county convenience drop off site. A guy came up all excited asking me what the hell was I doing hauling trash in a classic. “Do you know what that truck is worth!?” I had to chuckle at the guy and told him because it would be ridiculous to haul them in my ‘66 GT Fastback.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Do the rear main seal even if it's not leaking.  It's right there.  :)   I think I have a Chilton's manual for that truck.  Had a 94 bronco, covered both vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotta get something less oriental than yokohama tires on that thing, too.   Cooper, BFG, or something along those lines.    I'm ok with waiting until they wear out, tho.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats a nice looking truck.  

I have had an on/off again time looking for something like that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:28:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Parts truck for a 4x4 up here if 2wd.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Parts truck for a 4x4 up here if 2wd.
View Quote
Guess it's a good thing OP doesn't live in Ohio then.

Yeah, 2K for and E4OD rebuild is CHEAP. I'm sure they will, but make sure to flush the lines out. It'll also have a transmission heat exchanger in the radiator and maybe a small cooler in front of the radiator I would personally bypass and toss the small cooler and go to the biggest stacked plate cooler you can fit behind the grille.
This is the one I have on my Bronco https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274
If I was going to redo again, I'd probably go even bigger than that one. But that one takes up half the grille area on my '96.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]
That is a nice truck
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Guess it's a good thing OP doesn't live in Ohio then.

Yeah, 2K for and E4OD rebuild is CHEAP. I'm sure they will, but make sure to flush the lines out. It'll also have a transmission heat exchanger in the radiator and maybe a small cooler in front of the radiator I would personally bypass and toss the small cooler and go to the biggest stacked plate cooler you can fit behind the grille.
This is the one I have on my Bronco https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274
If I was going to redo again, I'd probably go even bigger than that one. But that one takes up half the grille area on my '96.
View Quote

Yea, it’s got a huge cooler mounted up front.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice truck.

Be glad you aren't trying to replace a 4R100.  

No NOS left and there are only a few places that will do a good rebuild.  And they're starting in the $5,000+ range.  Was going to have one rebuilt for a 2003 Lightning and it was going to be $7,500 for just the trans.  No install or anything.  In fairness, it was going to be upgraded to take 750HP but, still.  Not cheap.  I'd take E4OD prices all day.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice truck.

Be glad you aren't trying to replace a 4R100.  

No NOS left and there are only a few places that will do a good rebuild.  And they're starting in the $5,000+ range.  Was going to have one rebuilt for a 2003 Lightning and it was going to be $7,500 for just the trans.  No install or anything.  In fairness, it was going to be upgraded to take 750HP but, still.  Not cheap.  I'd take E4OD prices all day.  
View Quote

4R100 is the later version with updated naming nomenclature of the E4OD. Which is the reason why many are shocked at the cheap rebuild price tag the OP quoted. You might be thinking of an old school mechanical C6 (which the E4OD/4R100 architecture is based off of). Last E4OD rebuild I did was in the $3500 range in 2007 or so and that was after previous rebuilds had updated some hard parts that didn't need to get replaced.

OP's E4OD is the absolute earliest version ('90 was the first year available IIRC) and has probably never been touched with the low mileage which will likely result in price creep once it's opened up.

Also would recommend having the rebuilders throw in a transgo shift kit while they're there. It helps with one of the weak points on the E4OD which is very laggy/slow shifts (to make it smoother) that result in excessive heat and wear. Mine shifts very nice and quick, similar to the modern ZF in our jeep or 6R140 in our f250
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Speaking of parts difficulty……
Was supposed to get it back last week.  Swung into the shop today.  Shops torque converter supplier doesn’t have any in stock for the gas motor trucks.  They had to make me one causing a delay.  Said they stock the diesel converters because there are plenty still on the road.  
If converter is shipped out when they said it would be, should get it back this Friday.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice truck OP

I have a 97 crew cab powerstroke going to the junkyard soon and it sucks
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like a C6 transmission.... horrible unit should update to at least an overdrive unit.
View Quote

Lol.  C6es lived long lives behind muscle car motors launching at every stop sign and stoplight.  They're plenty stout.

I don't think they were used by ford in production models into the 90s though, were they?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice truck OP

View Quote

@mrtinkles

What color interior? How's the black gauge surround, lower dash panel under the steering wheel, and the windshield/door trim (that runs between the door and windshield/roof)?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@mrtinkles

What color interior? How's the black gauge surround, lower dash panel under the steering wheel, and the windshield/door trim (that runs between the door and windshield/roof)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice truck OP

@mrtinkles

Sent you a PM so i dont highjack scotts thread
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Update 11/5.  Wednesday the shop owner called to tell me he’s pushing hard to get it back to me by the weekend. Even offered up his truck so I can get some yard work done.  Then he was feeling bad about the rebuild taking so long and said he’ll let me decide the price, if I want to even pay him.  My decided price is what we discussed since I was not out of pocket for a rental or any financial loss.  I’ve been in his shoes.

Got the call yesterday afternoon it was done.  Lady behind the desk said just come pick it up after hours and get back with them on billing Monday.  I just need to know if the needed to replace the rear main is all.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL

If OP had a C6 in it, he probably wouldn't need to be working on it at such low mileage.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LOL

If OP had a C6 in it, he probably wouldn't need to be working on it at such low mileage.
View Quote

True. C6 is a brick shithouse.  Under 57k miles and it’s second rebuild.  But the first 55,800 we’re all pulling a 1989 heavy ass 30’ camper.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

True. C6 is a brick shithouse.  Under 57k miles and it’s second rebuild.  But the first 55,800 we’re all pulling a 1989 heavy ass 30’ camper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

This is the second time it's been out with only 56K on it? Something likely was wrong in that case. Make sure it's got the right fluid in it too (not type-F like the old-old ford stuff, mercon V should be the latest version that's applicable to the E4OD). I'm sure the shop has a flavor they like or provide with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top