Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2020 4:30:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If available overseas, go with crispi. Meindl and la sportiva are also top notch.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
5.11 has a 20% off sale going on. I bought a pair of "tac" boots for matches and to wear around our place and I like them a lot. Only appx. $80 so I think I'll get another pair.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been very pleased with some Danner 453's, they make a very similar boot in all-black that might be something to consider.

https://www.danner.com/men/law-enforcement/strikerbolt-4-5-black-gtx.html

Depending on how picky your uniform folks are you might even be able to get that 453 in dark grey and put black polish on them.

Danner also has this in all-black which might be up for consideration:
https://www.danner.com/men/hike/mountain-600-4-5-carbon-black-full-grain.html

Danner's stitchdown boots are a little heavier-duty than my preference for a daily-wear kind of environment, and mostly over your budget, but are available in all-black also. Although, the stitchdown boots are recraftable, so as long as you keep the leather in good shape they could serve you for a very long time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My department issues the Bates Durashocks. I have found them to be extremely comfortable boots and the price isn’t bad. Quite durable too.

Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
$300?

Buy 2-3 sets of Under Armour Valsetz.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Get whatever and set of Dr Scholls.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If the question is boots, the answer is Danner.

Personally I like the all-leather Recon. But...the prices have gotten stupid with Danner.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't buy 5.11 Xprts or UA Valsetz.  I've bought both in the past 3 months and I fucking hate them!  The Xprts and the Valsetz have soles that squeak and I'm not talking about on wet floors, I mean the soles actually squeak when walking.  It's something in the manufacturing process in the soles of the boots.  Neither UA or 5.11 would do anything about them.  I bought the Xprts because the Valsetz were irritating me.  Now I have two pairs of boots with the same issue.  Buy once, cry once.  I'm returning to Danner.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Altima Maritime OTB Assault Boot. ~$80 on Amazon and a pair lasts about a year. Super comfy, nonslip sole and mesh sides breathes well in the heat. Scotch guard the sides if you need water proof. Not a traditional boot in any sense of the definition but purchase a set and try them. They are quickly spreading across my department.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Altima Maritime OTB Assault Boot. ~$80 on Amazon and a pair lasts about a year. Super comfy, nonslip sole and mesh sides breathes well in the heat. Scotch guard the sides if you need water proof. Not a traditional boot in any sense of the definition but purchase a set and try them. They are quickly spreading across my department.
View Quote
Hate to say it but those are hideous looking.  I could see them being ok in the desert heat.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
My most recent boots are 5.11 and I'll never buy them again. Already falling apart and the boots won't hold a polish at all. I'll probably go with Bates next time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hate to say it but those are hideous looking.  I could see them being ok in the desert heat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Basically Converse/Chuck Taylor’s for work. I don’t care how they look. All day comfort, lightweight and performs like a tennis shoe in foot pursuits. I’ll take performance over looks any day...and I like the way they look anyway.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Salomon / lowa.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Then grow a beard, shave your head bald, and get sleeves on both of your arms, compliment them with a t-shirt that is a couple sizes too small and you too can be a sweet operator!!  Plus if you are around kids, you can borrow their skateboard and wow them with a kickflip.  Also, as a fireman, you need to get side zips, so you can show up with them unzipped and look sweet in front of the ladies!

Not an altima fan, nor I am a fan of all the cool guy factor that has no doubt helped them catch on.

5.11 fall apart faster than the new Rockys.  UA are/were one of the most comfortable out of the box boots I ever bought for under $100.  Then they smelled terrible (like you described) and fell apart in short order.

I have been pretty happy with Merrell.  They have been lasting longer than most.  I am about to try some Meindls, I think, unless I talk myself into something else.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#16]
When I needed to replace my boots the last time, I really did a lot of looking around. I would find a boot that looked pretty good on-line, then go to a uniform store in the area and try on a pair to see if I liked them. I found the Timberland PRO Valor boots were just what I was looking for. Now, more than a year later, they are still holding up just fine. They polish up well, are waterproof, easy to get on and off since they are side-zip, are amazingly comfortable and come in both 6" and 8" variations. They also only cost about $150.00 or less, depending on where you buy them from.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Haix XR1. They wear great, feet stay comfortable, lots of support and lightweight for their size. NFPA rated and dual use for a wildland boot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
$300?

Buy 2-3 sets of Under Armour Valsetz.
View Quote
Under armour! All the way
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If the question is boots, the answer is Danner.

Personally I like the all-leather Recon. But...the prices have gotten stupid with Danner.
View Quote
Not just the price of the boots, but the price of the “Recrafting”

It’s almost to the point where it’s easier to just buy another pair for a little more than the recrafting is gonna cost.

Wife and I both wear the all leather Recons.  We both have two sets of boots, so we’re not without a pair when one needs to be re-soled.

Best time to buy from Danner is during their Black Friday sale in November or their Father’s Day sale.  25% off site wide.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]
My normal size fit right the only pair of Acadia's I had. That last is a little on the narrow side, if your foot is wider you might consider a wide. Danners return policy is pretty good if you need to exchange.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yep. My clothing allowance just renewed and my current boots are about done for. I am wanting to stay under $300 for some good quality boots that I can wear all day without killing my feet. Only real work requirement is that they be all black
View Quote

Lowa.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I recently purchased a pair of Danner Tachyons. Lighter than my tennis shoes and waterproof.  Now, they have NO insulation (which is great for me). So far I'm pleased.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My most recent boots are 5.11 and I'll never buy them again. Already falling apart and the boots won't hold a polish at all. I'll probably go with Bates next time.
View Quote
Which boot?  I'm on my 2nd pair of atac's.  Each 1 lasts right about 2 years (soles go first.  Never had them come apart).  Each have been a fine as far as holding a shine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Haix XR1. They wear great, feet stay comfortable, lots of support and lightweight for their size. NFPA rated and dual use for a wildland boot.
View Quote
Haix XR2 here. Have lasted three years and are nearing replacement. Not because they are failing, I just walk a bit funny and wear the soles oddly. So I will keep them as back ups. Might get XR1s or or R2s so I can polish them on the toes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Altra Lone Peak has been life changing for me at work.  Had to change out the laces to meet the all black standard.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Haix XR2 here. Have lasted three years and are nearing replacement. Not because they are failing, I just walk a bit funny and wear the soles oddly. So I will keep them as back ups. Might get XR1s or or R2s so I can polish them on the toes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a pair of Haix boots and the orthopedics screwed up my feet badly. Took several years and some phys therapy for my feet to mostly recover. YMMV.

The ventilation system was great at keeping my feet dry though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#28]
You basically need to search for what feels best and gives you everything you need.  I’m personally a fan of Salomon, Merrell and Lowa, but obviously some departments get anal about having a polishable toe.  Most boots will be fine regardless.

I will say this - avoid Under Armour and 5.11 boots.  They are very poor quality.  I work in a department with authorized strength of 900, and being the geardo that I am, I pay attention to footwear and everything else gear and gun related.  Being in Minnesota, we run two different kinds of boots throughout the year depending on the weather.  During the warmer months, officers will wear the normal patrol boots and you’ll typically see those boots worn for 6-7 months out of the year.  During the colder months, insulated and waterproof boots are worn for about 5-6 months.  I’ve known dozens of officers who have run both UA and 5.11 boots, and their standard patrol boots almost never last through the second warm cycle.  I’ve seen guys have their feet blow out the sides of those boots on the range, or out on the street.  The tread wears down fast, or the boots disintegrate with stitching coming out.  The boots break down fast and to date, I know of no officer that has bought a second pair of Under Armours.  Warranty for UA is basically non-existant, and it’s left to the individual retailers to deal with.  This has been a sticking point that has resulted in officers hating UA.  This is in stark contrast to other companies that specialize in LE and military footwear who do back their products.  5.11 at least backs up their products to a degree.  UA and 5.11 boots just aren’t lasting anywhere near as long as their competitors.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
UA and 5.11 boots just aren’t lasting anywhere near as long as their competitors.
View Quote
What I have seen of their athletic footwear leads me to stay far away from UA boots.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:55:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:11:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, I ended up ordering a pair of the Danner Acadias. They will be in on Saturday. I am really surprised to hear about the bad customer service with UA. Even though I wont buy anymore, I had issues with 2 pair of mine. I had the receipt and boxes both times and had them for less than a year. I called their warranty department and they sent me a prepaid shipping sticker and I had brand new boots within 2 weeks. Their customer service was great for me. Too bad their quality is trash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You basically need to search for what feels best and gives you everything you need.  I’m personally a fan of Salomon, Merrell and Lowa, but obviously some departments get anal about having a polishable toe.  Most boots will be fine regardless.

I will say this - avoid Under Armour and 5.11 boots.  They are very poor quality.  I work in a department with authorized strength of 900, and being the geardo that I am, I pay attention to footwear and everything else gear and gun related.  Being in Minnesota, we run two different kinds of boots throughout the year depending on the weather.  During the warmer months, officers will wear the normal patrol boots and you’ll typically see those boots worn for 6-7 months out of the year.  During the colder months, insulated and waterproof boots are worn for about 5-6 months.  I’ve known dozens of officers who have run both UA and 5.11 boots, and their standard patrol boots almost never last through the second warm cycle.  I’ve seen guys have their feet blow out the sides of those boots on the range, or out on the street.  The tread wears down fast, or the boots disintegrate with stitching coming out.  The boots break down fast and to date, I know of no officer that has bought a second pair of Under Armours.  Warranty for UA is basically non-existant, and it’s left to the individual retailers to deal with.  This has been a sticking point that has resulted in officers hating UA.  This is in stark contrast to other companies that specialize in LE and military footwear who do back their products.  5.11 at least backs up their products to a degree.  UA and 5.11 boots just aren’t lasting anywhere near as long as their competitors.
Well, I ended up ordering a pair of the Danner Acadias. They will be in on Saturday. I am really surprised to hear about the bad customer service with UA. Even though I wont buy anymore, I had issues with 2 pair of mine. I had the receipt and boxes both times and had them for less than a year. I called their warranty department and they sent me a prepaid shipping sticker and I had brand new boots within 2 weeks. Their customer service was great for me. Too bad their quality is trash.
I think you will enjoy the quality of those Danners!

Their leather is very good, super durable and only gets more comfortable the more you wear it. I have the full leather Quarry and the lighter weight EVA sole Corvallis. Even the Chinese made Corvallis has been super durable in PNW rain storms working on airport tarmac all day as well as summer blazing sun on tarmac. The stitching on both is top notch.

I do prefer third party insole inserts such as SofSole if standing in concrete for hours, or SuperFeet if in the dirt and rocks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#33]
i've tried alot of different boots

I have a pair for summer and a pair for winter.  trying to find one that I liked for year round use was too hard

for summer I wear Reebok sublite cushion tacticals- they're light and let my feet breath.  feels like wearing a running shoe at work

for winter I wear danner acadia
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Salomon Quest 4D are GTG

Pretty much anything from Salomon is good in my book and LASTS a LONG time

However if you get bloody and need to wear something comfortable but expendable, LOWAs are VERY comfortable but only last about a year of duty but wont make you cry if you get vomited or bled on and need to throw them in the trash.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Had the same problem with my atac shields. They’re crap.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had these for a few months and really like them.

Amazon Product
  • Be ready for cold, wet weather on the trails with the insulated protection, long-lasting support, and reliable traction of the adidas® Outdoor Terrex Heron Mid CW CP hiking boot.

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Danner,thorougood or Belleville.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Saloman Quest 4D. And even the soles on those don't last as long as you think before they start coming apart. UA and 5.11 are garbage. I wish New Balance would make an all black mid version of there 990 V4. A pair of all leather Danners would probably last your whole career with resoling but they are heavy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#39]
We issue Haix, for station boots and I love them.  Seem to last me about 2-3 years of hard use, also issue Globe for Tech boots.

My spare station boots are Acadias.  Still going strong after several years.  I’m a big Danner fan.  I ditch the insert for appropriate Superfeet insoles immediately.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Adidas terrex swift r2 gtx.

Been wearing one pair for about two summers and switch to a Rocky boot during the winters. The terrex shoes are comfortable, have a gortex coating, and have decent grip. I've used them during the rain, on bike patrol, and even for plainclothes in a different color than the black ones in wear for normal duty. I've even worn then for runs up to 3 or 4 miles and been very impressed with how versatile they are.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I've worn the acadia... low quarters? for years. Great, but heavy.

I bought a set of the tachyons in black. They are like a US impression of an Izzy desert boot. They are stupid light. I mean, like, you may think they are wish/aliexpress made.

I've worn them for a year now. I hate them, but I think it's me. I took out the factory footbed and put my prescription orthotics in there. I bought a wide, because I guess my feet are spreading. They keep rubbing the tops of the outboard toes of my right foot. It's miserable, and I can't figure out how to stop it.

Otherwise, with some camp dry / scotchguard, they don't soak your feet quickly, even in slush. They basically brush / wipe off. They are like good old style jungle boots when they get broken in. They aren't pretty like polished boots, so that may be an issue on day shift. And, the sole picks up mud... bad.

Then, when you go back to the Acadias, they are like herman munster lead boots lol.

The most comfortable things I have ever worn were some grampa Everlast walmart sneakers with the orthotics in them. Looked like absolute ass, but I could walk all day in them, and no sweat. Some of the other ones I've had, two hours and it feels like someone has been slapping my soles with a ruler. (shrugs)
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:33:55 AM EDT
[#42]
IMO, if you are buying new boots "again", you are buying the wrong boots.

I have had the same boots for 11 years

Danner Acadia

Boots $295
Re Sole every  year $50
Buy some good inserts, I've had the same inserts for 9 years $40

Total investment $890 devide by 11 years averages out less than $90 a year if you add tax, polish, laces*

Get good boots! Not junk china made 5.11s
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
IMO, if you are buying new boots "again", you are buying the wrong boots.

I have had the same boots for 11 years

Danner Acadia

Boots $295
Re Sole every  year $50
Buy some good inserts, I've had the same inserts for 9 years $40

Total investment $890 devide by 11 years averages out less than $90 a year if you add tax, polish, laces*

Get good boots! Not junk china made 5.11s
View Quote
With current Danner prices, its about $160 per year.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I guess boots are cheaper online where I am from...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top