BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am stoked about this forum.  It is considered a tech forum so tech forum decorum rules apply.  However due to the nature of the topics discussed, it has to be kept a bit looser.  I want people to have fun, share stories and experiences free from the ridicule of the general public.  Having been on the receiving end, I know firsthand how it feels to not be believed.

That said, lets here your experiences!
View Quote
I have documented my experiences in our Bigfoot threads that I am at to point of repeating myself multiple times.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have documented my experiences in our Bigfoot threads that I am at to point of repeating myself multiple times.  
View Quote
We bumped,fought,meme'd,posted to get this forum for a year!!!!
Start a bigfoot thread for folks to post experiences.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The only people that need to present evidence are those that make a fantastic claim.

Say you think you saw a bigfoot? UFO?ghost?  Fucking awesome. I love that shit I have even shared stories  of mine.

Tell me bigfoots mating, migration, and feeding habits as if they are fact? Yeah, you are going to expect people to want evidence of such claims. Those are the people that need to back it up with evidence. Not the skeptic.

You want a safe space, plain and simple. So mods. What is it? A place where we discuss both sides of the matter without insults or is it an insulated story telling forum free of science and logical thinking?
View Quote
Well said WildBoar. If the previous trends of posting up "facts" without evidence other than "go find your own its out there" this forum will sure become a silly echo chamber.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am all for venturing out of the safe space to gather evidence.  Are you?  Or do you mean let everyone else do the work and you will just pick it apart because you are a sceptic?
View Quote
The very definition of critical analysis. If your claims don't stand to scrutiny they are not fact.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The very definition of critical review. If your claims don't stand to scrutiny they are not fact.
View Quote
A critical review would require a competent examiner with relevant domain experience.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Just found out about this sub forum today and seriously stoked about it
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Wildboar
@luv_the_huskers

I will say this one time and one time only.  There will be NO antagonizing of posters in this forum.  Try it and you’ll catch a warning at least, but most likely a ban.  Staff is no longer tolerating trolling, antagonizing or otherwise harrassing of members.   This is considered a TECH FORUM and as such, I will not allow posters to be harrrassed.

If you are hung up on facts, proof, pictures, video and DNA evidence, then you will have a short and unpleasant stay here.  If you are a poster and have any of the aforementioned proof, OUTSTANDING!   However, this is not a CSI or FBI crime lab.  This forum is for like minded people to come together and discuss experiences, witness accounts and stories.

If you can be an adult and have a discussion, then we will have no issues.  Cross the line and you are gone from the forum or worse.

-DV8
View Quote
I’m definitely on board with cutting the GD-ness out of this forum. Same goes for any other tech forum.

My only concern with the above is whether it equates to an outright restriction on challenges seeking facts and evidence. Now, hear me out...

In one corner, say you’ve got someone who relates an experience. Dogman, Bigfoot, aliens, whatever. They recount the details of what they saw, smelled, felt, etc. Perhaps even draw a conclusion that they absolutely witnessed one of those entities. I’d completely support slapping down any replies that equate to “pics or it didn’t happen”, calling bullshit, demeaning or otherwise harassing the poster over lack of evidence.

In such instances, the only “challenges” I could forsee getting a pass would be friendly alternative theories for the described events. Even then, there’s a line to be crossed. Saying, “No you’re wrong. What you actually witnessed is x,y, or z” would be a no-go. On the other hand, it’d seem reasonable to grant some latitude for a reply like, “Interesting. Have you ever considered x, y, or z? I had a similar experience and believe it to be...”.

In short, being able to press someone on their personal story would, and should, generally be frowned upon.

Now, we get to the meat of my concern. There’s a big difference between sharing a personal story, and presenting statements as if they are verifiable facts.

Let’s take aliens as an example. If someone interjects explicit details/claims like, “Oh yes, those particular ETs hail from planet Nibiru. They visit earth primarily on Fridays in October, and camouflage themselves as taxi drivers. Their primary targets are young, socially awkward outcasts in the Pacific Northwest. Striking in packs of 3, they’ll telekinetically paralyze victims, harvest dna from their pituitary gland, and ditch them near medium sized bodies of water. Ultimately agents of some unnamed agencies will swoop in to ensure the victim is discredited.”

Ok, it’s a pretty outlandish scenario. But I crafted it that way hoping no one takes it as a callout. It’s not. The point being, is it unreasonable for folks to reply by saying, “Hold on one second. Where exactly have you gained all this information, and what can you share to verify it’s veracity”?

It’d be like someone in the reloading forum claiming a dash of bisquick and ajax is the key to achieving single-digit extreme spreads. Surely I’d hope that someone comes along and asks where they’re getting that info and what data they have to back it up.

In short, if a poster is introducing details stated as fact, it shouldn’t be unreasonable to politely challenge how they can be stated as such.

If legitimate and friendly challenges are more or less outlawed, it’ll frankly stand in the way of this forum seeing its true potential. If dissent is verboten, it may come across as one camp having a license to “troll” the other. If proported factual details are permitted to go unquestioned, it’ll detract from those who come to simply share their own accounts.

@DV8

I hope the above makes sense. If you happen to soldier through the full post, I appreciate it.

I wont hide that I’d be labeled a “skeptic”. However, I truly enjoy these topics. And am perfectly open to the idea that these things could be real. But for folks like me, there are instances where the burden of proof matters. And I’d hope engaging in that type of discussion isn’t wholely viewed as off-limits. Assuming the circumstances warrant such interjection, and it’s done in a respectful manner.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 3:32:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I am surprised there isn’t more support here since many on this forum hold a talking penguin in very high regard.

You can believe, it’s ok.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am surprised there isn’t more support here since many on this forum hold a talking penguin in very high regard.

You can believe, it’s ok.
View Quote
I think it’ll pick up. Probably settle in with a regular ebb and flow of engagement.

While they may not have definitive answers, a lot of people have stories to tell. Which is good for guys like me who, unfortunately, don’t have much to relay. But, after hearing some folks experiences, I’m OK with my life being paranormally uneventful.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just want to extend warm wishes to all fellow cryptid travelers and our new home on ARFCOM.
View Quote
I just found this forum! ( after you and I went back and forth in the other bigfoot thread, lol)  Im ready to be made a believer! lets see the squatch fossils and physical proof of the bigfeets!
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just found this forum! ( after you and I went back and forth in the other bigfoot thread, lol)  Im ready to be made a believer! lets see the squatch fossils and physical proof of the bigfeets!
View Quote
You can certainly acquire physical proof of their existence, but you need to do that in the field, not in an Internet forum.  The problem when you start out is that you don’t know who or what to trust.  Experience is the solution to that problem; however, If that is not in the cards, then you need to read and listen to everything you can.  The truth will keep emerging from the cacophony of bullshit and you will have to discover it through pattern recognition.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Count me among the believers (though I firmly believe at least 95% of all paranormal claims are B.S.) Cool to have a forum of our own on the subject.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been hooked on this stuff since watching "In Search Of" as a kid in the 70's.

Link Posted: 8/4/2019 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been hooked on this stuff since watching "In Search Of" as a kid in the 70's.

View Quote
That's the one that was narrated by Leonard Nimoy right ?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's an

Link Posted: 8/5/2019 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I loved that show growing up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I loved that show growing up.
View Quote
The creepy ass synthesizer music help make it extra freaky
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You can certainly acquire physical proof of their existence, but you need to do that in the field, not in an Internet forum.  The problem when you start out is that you don’t know who or what to trust.  Experience is the solution to that problem; however, If that is not in the cards, then you need to read and listen to everything you can.  The truth will keep emerging from the cacophony of bullshit and you will have to discover it through pattern recognition.
View Quote
QFT

This is probably the most insightful and truthful comment so far on this forum.

"The problem when you start out is that you don’t know who or what to trust.  Experience is the solution to that problem"

My only addendum to that is to read, listen, and absorb as much as you can in addition to your time spent in the field.  Don't believe everything that you hear, but file it away.  You may be surprised that some of 'crazy' encounters ring a bit more true the more time that you spend looking for strangeness.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:35:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The easiest way to put is to paraphrase Ronald Reagan. “You can disagree without being disagreeable.”

That said, there is something that members can do, it’s the hidden secret of Arfcom.  Mods and staff call it the nuclear option:  scroll on past and say nothing.

If a member posts something pretty far out, obviously fake and doesn’t offer any substantiation, roll on past.  Simply don’t acknowledge it. 99% of the time he or she will move on to another forum where he can generate a response.  In the end, that is what they want, a reaction or response.  Ignore it.  If it becomes an issue, report it and I will deal with it.  
View Quote
Makes sense.

FWIW, I’m one who is content to exercise the nuclear option fairly often. Even in GD. Basically, whatever COC changes are pending will have no affect on me.

Good to know that those who post outlandish claims with no substance are not imune from reporting; and will be dealt with.

Thank you for the reply. Looking forward to seeing this forum develop.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought that it would take me another couple of years to reach 1000 posts.

Then this forum came along....
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#26]
LOL. I wondered why GD was so boring lately.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LOL. I wondered why GD was so boring lately.

Good luck.
View Quote
Theres a UFO thread right now in GD, there was a bigfoot/ghost one a week or so back.
GD is more focused on neckbearding 556 at walmart....and panic buying because a Democrat said " im gonna take your gun ".
Talk about fantasy
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top