Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2021 8:40:35 AM EDT
I have a weird issue with a laptop. It has been this way since new (almost a year now).

HP Spectre 13” with all the bells and whistles.

I am using 4 USB -> DVI adapters to drive 4 monitors with the DisplayLink driver.

All 5 screens (4-27” monitors and the laptop screen) show what they are supposed to.

When I move the mouse over to the laptop screen the screen turns to black. I move mouse off screen and it returns to normal.

Here is the crazy part - if I restart windows it behaves normally! I can boot in the AM, login and do a quick reboot and everything is normal.

This has been consistent through Windows updates, DisplayLink updates, reinstalling drivers, etc.

Anyone encountered anything similar? It is more of an annoyance than anything else.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#1]
What graphics card?

Pretty sure USB interface can't handle 4x displays without goofy artifacts.

It doesn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What graphics card?

Pretty sure USB interface can't handle 4x displays without goofy artifacts.

It doesn't surprise me.
View Quote

Been using the same setup for many years. Several different laptops (Lenovo, dell, MacBook) for years. This is the only one to exhibit this behavior.

Laptop graphics card is intel iris. USB adapters are Diamond USB 3.

The thing that really stumps me is about how the blackout disappears after reboot - never to appear again until a long shutdown.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Graphics issues are hard to track down.

Have you updated all your driver's, etc?

Have you seen if changing refresh rates, screen scaling, or resolution change the behavior?

Maybe just reboot every day?
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
active display adapterz?
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Graphics issues are hard to track down.

Have you updated all your driver's, etc?

Have you seen if changing refresh rates, screen scaling, or resolution change the behavior?

Maybe just reboot every day?
View Quote

Done all the above - settled for the last option.  At least Win10 boots pretty quick!

Still wish I could figure out an alternate solution.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
active display adapterz?
View Quote

Yup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top