Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2022 1:09:55 AM EDT
As the title says I am looking for an Android app.

I would like it to show me what I need to do each day (I.E. leg, arm, back, chest) to build strength and mass. I'm not looking to bodybuild but I do need to be healthier and stronger.  I know the basic exercises (bench, curls, squats) but I don't know what order to do them in or how I even should plan a workout to target a certain muscle group. If I dont have a clear list of tasks to accomplish I will not be successful.  

I am in my mid 40s and have let myself go. In the past I never had to work out, I used to be "Farmboy strong" but I no longer have a career that is conducive to that. Add in a motorcycle wreck with bedrest for 5 months afterward and drinking too much and I am now 75 lbs overweight. I need to fix it Arf Bros, help a brother out.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop drinking and eating shit. Working out won't get you down 75 lbs only eating right will. Sorry I dont know an app.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Try Stonglifts.....

Stronglifts 5x5

Im sure others will be along later to recommend others....
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try Stonglifts.....

Stronglifts 5x5

View Quote

This or starting strength, both are similar, easy, effective, and give you a great strength base to build on.

IMO every noob should do one of these programs until they no longer work.

I just looked on Google play and there's apps for both available.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It’s actually pretty simple when starting out:

1.  Flat bench press.
2.  Deadlift.
3.  Squat.

Throw in some assistance exercises if you have the time.

That’s enough to keep a beginner busy for a long time.

View Quote

Add rows or chinups and swap out bench for overhead press.

Overhead press helps me a lot more at work than horizontal pressing.

Or just do both.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This or starting strength, both are similar, easy, effective, and give you a great strength base to build on.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try Stonglifts.....

Stronglifts 5x5

I like greyskull as an alternative to either of them. It gives you a variable to use for gauging progress, and allows conditioning and accessories to be added later.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m getting back into it after a few years off. Strongman 5x5 is great. Good variety, whole body, doesn’t take forever. Start with just the bar to get your form right
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Push-ups, pull-ups, squats, and some cardio, maybe an airdyne. That's what you need to do every day starting out. You don't need an app or special programming right now.

Fix your eating, get enough sleep.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#9]
As has been stated, do 5x5 Stronglifts or Starting Strength, and do the program. Do NOT start substituting or adding lifts because you think you know better than the guys who wrote these. Just do the program exactly as written.

Second, no amount of lifting is going to address the overweight issue to any great degree. That's all about what you do in the kitchen and at the dinner table. Lots of ways to skin that cat but they all come down to eat less and pay attention what you're eating. You can go low fat, you can go low carb, they both work. Just have a plan, log your calories and stick with it. And no drinking, or at least very little b/c every beer sets you back from where you could be without it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Stronglifts 5x5 and Wendler 531 both have really good apps and are great programs for a beginner. For someone brand new i would recommend 5x5, then switched to 531 with the Boring But Big template added
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Starting Strength app
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.mindpumpmedia.com/maps-starter

Not an app but a blueprint/videos/program. I can’t recommend these programs enough. These guys have been personal training and developing programs most of their lives. I’ve completed two of their programs (aesthetic and anabolic). Both programs made a massive difference in my physique and strength. Their routines are built to make sense both physiologically and mentally.

I’d also recommend you check out their podcast. I wouldn’t recommend you start out with 5x5 or 5/3/1. If you’ve never lifted, neither are going to give you well-rounded athleticism.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Add rows or chinups and swap out bench for overhead press.

Overhead press helps me a lot more at work than horizontal pressing.

Or just do both.
View Quote

Stronglifts and starting strength both rotate bench press and overhead press every other workout.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.mindpumpmedia.com/maps-starter

Not an app but a blueprint/videos/program. I can’t recommend these programs enough. These guys have been personal training and developing programs most of their lives. I’ve completed two of their programs (aesthetic and anabolic). Both programs made a massive difference in my physique and strength. Their routines are built to make sense both physiologically and mentally.

I’d also recommend you check out their podcast. I wouldn’t recommend you start out with 5x5 or 5/3/1. If you’ve never lifted, neither are going to give you well-rounded athleticism.
View Quote

I ran maps anabolic, it's a solid program and I saw decent gains.

The workouts took forever for me to get through though. Mobility and long warm-ups are essential for me, throwing that on a full body routine made gym sessions exceed an hour an a half. I bought aesthetic too but haven't ran it yet because it looks like the same long duration lifts.

They do have some great podcasts, I listen to the regularly on long drives.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like greyskull as an alternative to either of them. It gives you a variable to use for gauging progress, and allows conditioning and accessories to be added later.
View Quote

I second the Greyskull LP vs Strong Lifts or Starting Strength, hands down. There is also a GSLP Android app. It's a bit clunky, but it works.

https://greyskull.app/

Great thread laying everything out:

GSLP Primer

Do the fat loss template with some chins/rows for 8-12 weeks along with a decent diet higher in protein. After you build that base, start layering in accessory work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top