Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2023 1:54:16 PM EDT
During COVID I was 331lb, 6'1". It was time to do something about it.

Went semi-keto, IF, and tracked calories for the last few years. Got down to 214 around Feb 2023 (just about to turn 47). The last year I tried to settle into a lifestyle: low carbs, zero added sugar, but occasionally went to the local brewery with the wife and partook in the food truck. Things were consistent, and I wasn't pushing. In addition, I do about 200-300 pushups a day, for the last year. So I've been building muscle

Well, I started 5x5 recently, and my body weight has jumped up 10lbs in...the last month? My diet is still 'cautiously casual' (I still weigh my salad components, but maybe 2 glasses of bourbon instead of 1). I haven't added a significant protein source until recently (Isopure carb free). The 5x5 is slow - I started light and letting the 5x5 app catch me to where there is a failure, but none yet. Around 100lb on squat, 155lb bench, a plate for deadlift, etc.

What is going on? The jump in weight coincided with lifting. There may be 300-400 more calories in the system ON SOME DAYS, but nowhere near enough to account for the jump. My pants are still 34 (in fact, I might need a 32), my belt is still using the last notch. But all that weight gain can't be muscle that soon (month or two)!

It is disheartening. Yes, I can get back to basics. Yes, I can get my macros rolling again. But, I was steady for months.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
10lbs is nothing and could be water.  Keep on going with the 5x5.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Water retention with the muscle breakdown from weight lifting.

Less alcohol, more water.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the mirror saying?

If your body comp is still to your liking, a 10 lb swing at your weight isn't much to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Mirror (and the wife) are happy.

10 just seemed like a lot!

I'm loving simplicity of 5x5, but I'm honestly just moving small piles of weights at this point. Not even close to failure on a set (which I know I should have targeted originally, but as a 46 non-lifter, I wanted to ease into it). Soreness was there, but I'm every other day, plus the push-ups, running, etc. Things are becoming routine.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Water retention with the muscle breakdown from weight lifting.

Less alcohol, more water.
View Quote

heard.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mirror (and the wife) are happy.

10 just seemed like a lot!

I'm loving simplicity of 5x5, but I'm honestly just moving small piles of weights at this point. Not even close to failure on a set (which I know I should have targeted originally, but as a 46 non-lifter, I wanted to ease into it). Soreness was there, but I'm every other day, plus the push-ups, running, etc. Things are becoming routine.

View Quote

5x5 is a peaking program, it rapidly pushes you towards what you can max at in the 5 rep range and builds your strength a bit as you do it.

Once it gets hard (and it does get really hard), that's when you can use the numbers you have to do something with some more volume if you want.

Most people tend to switch to something like 531 after 5x5 becomes a grind.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]
At 331 lbs. and 6'1" you are obese according to the NIH BMI Calculator, which is the standard used by medical professionals throughout the USA.  

Unless you have had your body fat percentage calculated by a professional and are 24% or below in body fat percentage than you are most definitely obese.  

Have you checked with your family doctor to make sure that your blood pressure and cholesterol levels are normal? You may be at risk of heart disease and could require medication.  Have you had your liver enzyme levels checked? You may have fatty liver disease.  I would also get checked to see what risk you might be at for diabetes.  So, get in and get a good solid medical check-up.   Make sure you're fit for the activity level you are undertaking. Everyone always hears the "consult a medical professional before starting an exercise regime" and dismisses it, but in the case of those who are obese it's super important!  Could save your life.

At this level of obesity it is time to actually invest in your health and your life.  Nothing is more important than your health, no toys, no vacation, no car, nothing is more important than your health.  Sadly, most people don't realize that until they've had a serious medical issue.  You should invest in a nutrition coach/counseling.  I hired an individual who set my Macro numbers for me and I reported to him weekly my daily weights, activity level, and macro numbers.  At the end of each week he would either adjust my macros or tell me to keep going on the ones I was set at.  Through that action I lost 1.5 to 3 lbs a week consistently over and over until I lost a total of 70 lbs.  My wife used him and lost a total of 30 lbs. and my best friend who is a martial arts instructor for a living and his wife who is a certified fitness instructor use him still even though they're in great shape.   Long story short, it's not cheap, but it's a damn good investment in my opinion to get a nutrition coach.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I was 331.

I’m 214 now. Wearing size 34 pants, playing soccer with my kids, and starting 5x5.

Appreciate the sentiment. Came for the same conclusions, just afew years ago.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was 331.

I’m 214 now. Wearing size 34 pants, playing soccer with my kids, and starting 5x5.

Appreciate the sentiment. Came for the same conclusions, just afew years ago.
View Quote

Make sure you're tracking your weight correctly. Your actual weight will be your average weight over the course of one week.  Weight yourself every morning before you eat or drink anything (I like to go to the bathroom first) and before you shower (your dry naked fasted weight).   Take your weekly average and then you've got your actual weight for metric purposes. This is important, because weight will fluctuate up and down (typically around 3 to even as high as 5 lbs. depending on a number of factors).  

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]
How many ounces in the glass of bourbon and do you drink 2 every night?

One ounce is 100 calories and it takes a lot of exercise to burn that off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I sure does!

However, the issue isn’t the bourbon. I’ve lost 120 lbs since covid and kept it off.

The jump was not from habit or diet. I mean, water I believe (with the repair of damaged muscles). The jump happened when I started lifting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top