Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2021 4:38:17 PM EDT
Got a book in the mail the other day and I haven't started in it but I've flipped through the pages. The author had asthma and was still taken into the Wehrmacht! So, what were the health standards for a landser; even if he was an artilleryman (Fourth Gebirgjager Division)?

You'd think that if the Wehrmacht needed warm bodies that an asthmatic would be made a clerk where no strenous activity would trigger an attack.

Book is Klaus Willmann's Death March Through Russia. See page 65.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
There are different types of asthma, some quite mild and others debilitating.  I have exercised induced asthma that restricts lung intake but still didn't prevent me from running long distance races.  I suppose it depends on the person.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother has asthma and was a medic with the Marines in Iraq for two tours during some not so good times.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brother has asthma and was a medic with the Marines in Iraq for two tours during some not so good times.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw more than one trainee/airman who decided to not disclose they had asthma and their condition reared it's ugly head at the worst time for them.  One kid had an attack during a commanders PT run.  They sent him to the hospital, he played stupid and he was gone like yesterdays trash.  Another had an attack right after a ruck march, the docs figured it out, she copped to not disclosing her condition at MEPS and they sent her packing with a fraudulent enlistment.  

I saw other people who ended up being diagnosed with exercise induced asthma after they'd been in awhile, but they went through hell with their PT scores and leadership until a doctor would diagnose them right.  However their military careerers were done after that.  I've spoken to tons of people who think the military's stance on asthma is wrong who wanted to join up, but I can tell you the military just isn't the place for that kind of problem.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
DefenseFortis - classmate's daughter enlisted into the USAF and was washed out for asthma.  They tried to get her for fraudulent enlistment and she asserted that she never knew she had it before.  Anyway, she got her discharge w/out the fraudulent enlistment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Just found out about an asthmatic GI who was 4F but managed to squeeze into the service.  He felt strongly about serving and doing his duty.  Dunno how he got through boot camp either. or AIT.  Afterward he belonged to the 399th Infantry, 100th Infantry Div. when he was KIA while firing his BAR at the Germans near Lemberg.  PFC William G. Zilliox was KIA on Dec. 8, 1944.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The Wehrmacht also had “stomach” and “ear” battalions made up of soldiers who had various ailments, but who could be put to use serving in fortifications and defensive positions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top