Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2021 12:05:20 AM EDT
Never will use chrome.

Edge is rebadged chrome

Ditched Mozilla due to their recent statments...

Loaded brave today but I read that some former Google employees  were involved. so is it basically chrome?

Samsung browser is what I use on my phone....

Silk on my tablet...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Dissenter

ETA: Also looks like repackaged chrome (Version 0.70.122 Chromium: 78.0.3904.87)
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Duck Duck Go. It will show you when they block people from tracking your activity.

ArfCom gets tracked by a ton compared to other sites.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I installed Brave and I think it sucks. On default settings, images are sometimes rendered incorrectly (color negative) and the color themes seem to jack up the text readability. Some of that may be that people are coding their site to work best with Chrome but regardless, I don't want to have a jacked up browser.

B
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I was a Chrome user but recently switched to Dissenter. Works great so far.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Iron is one I used a while back without issues:

https://www.srware.net/iron/

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Chromium is the open source version that Google and other repackage with their trackers, features and bloatware.

I still use Firefox (hardened) for things that require logins.

For more private/anonymous browsing...  Tor

Good to go on mobile or desktop.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Never will use chrome.

Edge is rebadged chrome

Ditched Mozilla due to their recent statments...

Loaded brave today but I read that some former Google employees  were involved. so is it basically chrome?

Samsung browser is what I use on my phone....

Silk on my tablet...
View Quote
Brave codebase is indeed Chromium.  It's not accurate to say "it is basically chrome" however.

WHY are you changing browsers?  Because you don't want to be tracked?  Then Brave or Chromium is probably just fine.  If you want a browser that works well, then use Chrome, because it does. (My only real compliant aside from the spying is the memory hog/memory leaks.)

Edge will become better and better and more sites will cater to it as well.

You would do yourself a bit of service by learning what a software forking into a new project is, and how open sourced software is developed.

If you are talking about on a phone, you are fucked anyway as far as privacy goes already no matter the browser unless you are using one of the cleaned linux phones. If this is phone use, just use what works best for you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much everything is Chromium based or FireFox based.  I've been using Brave, desktop and mobile, for several months with no issues though I'm forced to use Chrome at work.

Is Pale Moon still a thing?  It was a Firefox port.  If you don't want Chromium then that could be an option.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Brave on desktop, Vanadium or Bromite on mobile.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Duck duck go app and TOR app on phone.  Make sure you chang phone to developer mode.  Added NordVPN.  
Tutanota for email.  Signal for text and phone.

And use alias as much as possible.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Started using Pale Moon a few days ago. Was able to import bookmarks and logins from Mozilla. No real problems so far.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know more about Brave? I liked it until I heard it was build of google BS.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone know more about Brave? I liked it until I heard it was build of google BS.
View Quote
See my post above. Chromium based, yes. Full of google spying, no proof of that and it's open source so go look.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#15]
What about Vivaldi, Opera, or Avast?  They are Chromium based.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brave was created by Brendon Eich to be a safe no-nonsense adblocking browser after Mozilla fired him for believing in traditional marriage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know of a search engine that doesn't report to Google? I am using DDG on Brave now but I can go to Chrome/google and everything I have searched in Brave/DDG is right there. Worse, my search term list shows up on other computers when pulling up Chrome/Google.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:28:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey I've been out of the game for a while. Does the Chromium browser core interact with proprietary Google services at all?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of a search engine that doesn't report to Google? I am using DDG on Brave now but I can go to Chrome/google and everything I have searched in Brave/DDG is right there. Worse, my search term list shows up on other computers when pulling up Chrome/Google.
View Quote
Bing.

There's that russian one too.

Keep in mind, your ISP may be reporting to google, as might your operating system (Chromebook for example) and if you are logged into your google account, or facebook, they might have tracking bugs too. It's not a guaranteed thing that the browser is doing it, nor the search.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey I've been out of the game for a while. Does the Chromium browser core interact with proprietary Google services at all?
View Quote
Chrome plugins work in Brave. Probably do for Chromium too. Gmail, Docs, etc. all that google crap works in Brave.  What proprietary services in particular are you talking about?  (And why worry about switching to brave if you still have google lodged in your daily activities?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top