Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 8:38:01 PM EDT
What in the actual fuck is this now?

One of our dogs injured her leg. My poor wife spent 5 hours at the vet clinic, and I get it, emergency clinic things happen. But, they were waiting for the dog to "stop being afraid" after they took her away from my wife before they would x-ray her. After hour 4 the wife started complaining and THEN they mentioned maybe sedating the dog for the x-rays. Sedation was not need she was well behaved.

So why did it take so long again?

Dog should heal up on her own...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What in the actual fuck is this now?

One of our dogs injured her leg. My poor wife spent 5 hours at the vet clinic, and I get it, emergency clinic things happen. But, they were waiting for the dog to "stop being afraid" after they took her away from my wife before they would x-ray her. After hour 4 the wife started complaining and THEN they mentioned maybe sedating the dog for the x-rays. Sedation was not need she was well behaved.

So why did it take so long again?

Dog should heal up on her own...
View Quote

I'd have gone somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a challenge. Return wearing a Mike Meyers mask.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought this was a thread about a new trend where covid masks weren't required
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like a challenge. Return wearing a Mike Meyers mask.
View Quote

Better yet....

Take off your mask. Then tell them they aren't allowed to be afraid. Their rule, right?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd have gone somewhere else.
View Quote

There was one other option. Drove over an hour. 50% chance, and I'm wrong 87% of the time...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Trying to sell sedation to impatient people.....duh?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
To be certified fear free the practice has to jump through a bunch of hoops.  The group that does the certification places cameras and views the workers and animals for a period of time.  The vets, techs, helpers get training and instruction.

The idea is good treatment of the animals.  We all want our pets to be well taken care of, happy, and safe.  The whole fear free deal is pretty much a crock of shit though.
Fear free relies a bit too much on drugs and a bit too little on common sense.  A good example is a dog can't be restrained for a nail trim.  Some dogs place their paws in your hand and don't mind.  Others...well they pretty much hate it.  Fear free certification means that dog can't be held down while it's nails are trimmed.  They would prefer to feed it a fist full of pills and bring it back later when it's so fucked up in the head it just lays there during a nail trim.

Again, we all want our pets to be well cared for.  Sometimes it is best to sedate animals for treatment.  Sometimes you have to make animals sit still, get nails trimmed, lay down to get x rays, etc by forcing them.  We are humans and know better than animals.

I hope all turns out well for your pup!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the thoughtful explanation and I agree with your assessment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top