Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2023 2:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome]
After Striker posted in GD about the "hacks", can we please get the ability to use 2FA hardware keys? These physical keeps prevents everyone from hacking since you have to touch the key to get access. TOTP would be useful as well.

Everyone needs to use keepass or one of it variants. Encrypt the hell of the database. Fuck hackers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Will you support QR code based TOTP authenticator apps as a 2FA method?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT.

2FA, please add TOTP (time based one time password) with a manual option (so those of us that you a password manager can use the TOTP function. Also yubikeys, usb hardware keys that you have to touch to login, no hacking no nothing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
2FA puts security into the hands of the smartphone companies. Some would rather keep things away from those otherwise omnipotent entities.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
2FA puts security into the hands of the smartphone companies. Some would rather keep things away from those otherwise omnipotent entities.
View Quote
this is a good point
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for TOTP from me, especially providing the pre-shared key during setup via the web site so the
TOTPs aren't emailed like so many sites do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I do 2FA via a hardware dongle or an app on my PC. You can run TOTP on anything.

I agree that whatever is chosen shouldn't be phone (or phone number) dependent, screw that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck 2FA.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#9]
If this does happen, make it optional.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
this is a good point
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
this is a good point

No it does not. Do some research on 2FA, if you use some app on your smart phone, sure. If you use a USB hard key such a yubikey, nope.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#13]
Originally Posted By farfromhome:
No it does not. Do some research on 2FA, if you use some app on your smart phone, sure. If you use a USB hard key such a yubikey, nope.
View Quote
and why would a forum with a huge audience require their members to join something like this? It would cut down on membership like crazy.
I'm not saying it's a bad security procedure. Just that it is unlikely to be adopted.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a big fan of basic 2FA-none of the random app stuff for me as I have enough shit to manage as it is.

I'm not a fan of 2FA on large 'anonymous' message boards.

Opt in/opt out as an option, I'd be OK with and maybe pat some folks on the back.  Requirement?  Nope.

Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheRiddleOfSteel] [#16]
Originally Posted By seek2:
I do 2FA via a hardware dongle or an app on my PC. You can run TOTP on anything.
View Quote

This on dedicated hardware is the smartest way to do it, as far as I know.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
If someone hacks my account, that's fine, just keep the gunshow calendar updated please.  The Tech forums might see significant improvement.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#18]
this is a good point
View All Quotes
this is a good point

Not necessarily.

Yubikey's are a great option. Buy two with one as a backup and theyre a great option for all your accounts (that support it).   Ive used very similar items while during my time in the intelligence community and have come to LOVE yubikeys.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#19]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 for 2FA.

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Unreal that in this era we don’t have 2fa. +1 to adding.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By scul:  +1 for 2FA.

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.
View Quote

How are the old guys going to do 2FA on their flip phones w/o SMS or email?  You going to man the phone bank and call them personally?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

How are the old guys going to do 2FA on their flip phones w/o SMS or email?  You going to man the phone bank and call them personally?
View All Quotes

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.

There are folks on this board who probably struggle with the concept of having a couple different email addresses and these motherfuckers want blanket fancy 2FA, OTPs, or yubikey shit.

It's a fucking internet forum, not an investment account.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By FDC:

There are folks on this board who probably struggle with the concept of having a couple different email addresses and these motherfuckers want blanket fancy 2FA, OTPs, or yubikey shit.

View All Quotes

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.

Wait.  So those ARFCOINs....

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.

Except that FIDO2 and U2F are a low lift for the site and a simple purchase for the user and a painless enrollment process.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mnd:

Except that FIDO2 and U2F are a low lift for the site and a simple purchase for the user and a painless enrollment process.
View All Quotes

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.

Painless?  For 80 year old men?  You sure about that?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#27]
The administrative overhead to add 2FA(Ignoring the code changes) would be insane on this site.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Depends on what you use.   Could use email or a text message too.     Could use a free number like Google Voice if you want to separate it from your smart phone.   There's always a company involved, but you could remove it from your smart phone easy enough w/ text or email.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.

It's not FIPS SP 800-73 so yea, I'm sure.

FIDO2 will work with whatever biometric ID your phone supports, so buying hardware isn't mandatory either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#31]

FIDO2 will work with whatever biometric ID your phone supports, so buying hardware isn't mandatory either.
View All Quotes

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.

You think I'm going to give biometric information to my phone?  Are you insane?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.

I don't think we're having the same conversation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.

I think you have way too much trust in who you're giving your information to.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Purchase.  Yeah no.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mariner82:
Fuck 2FA.
View Quote

This! Unless it is optional so I can shut it off.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I recommend 2FA OTP with backup codes. Too many institutions are still using SMS for 2FA which depends on cellular connectivity and are prone to SIM hijacking.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By cruze5:

didn't say it was required

see my post above.  For those with 200k +collections who post or sell in the ee that want additional security on their account would be nice
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cruze5:

TOTP, FIDO2, etc.  

NOT via SMS or email.

didn't say it was required

see my post above.  For those with 200k +collections who post or sell in the ee that want additional security on their account would be nice

The breach will come from hacking @Aimless, @DK-Prof, or @Goatboy, not you or me.  Some cute little penguin, goose, or goat will come along & then ALL YOUR POSTS ARE BELONG TO US.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#39]
I’m on a big scuba forum that uses XenForo software. They added 2FA a couple of years ago. I use the Google Authenticator app. Text with codes are not an option.

We’ve had several people who got hacked and they were sellers of lots of stuff. The scammers reposted already sold items and got away with some $$. One guy had ling unused accounts on other forums hacked and he had the same username, email, and password for all of them. The people whose accounts were hacked didn’t use 2FA.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Proton mail allows users to setup multiple passwords to use the site.

One to log in, another to access the mailbox.

Just a thought.

Also, fie on IT guys who don't allow ASCII code and every possible special character a full keyboard can make for a PW.

I mean, if some demented person wants to transmit ~5meg of gibberish text for a password...
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#41]
2FA can be optional.

If users are not familiar with it, skip.
If users are familiar  with it, enable it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#42]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Even if it's made optional (and it should be - we're an internet forum, not a bank), I'm still hesitant to throw my own support behind it, unless there's a solid support plan in place.

Every place I've ever implemented it professionally, was backed up by paid employees who's job it was to answer the phone, work helpdesk tickets, etc, etc - and had the authority (and security permissions) to actually resolve the problem. We...really don't have that right now.

A lot of guys don't really appreciate how absolutely non-tech savvy many of our users are (if you could read the emails sent to accounts@, you'd be nodding your heads in aggressive agreement ). And that's fine (we're a big tent), but they're really hard to support when your start throwing things like MFA at them, and it goes wrong. Even if it's optional, a non-trivial number of users are GOING to turn it on (because moar securitah!!!) and...fuck something up. They'll switch phones, with no OTP backups. They won't safely store recovery keys. They'll goof up in ways I can't even think of right now, but will still need help signing back in just the same, and will need support. And we need to be able to reliably give it to them.

We're just not staffed for that, IMHO. And asking volunteer staff members to do it (they'd need to be trained up on it), feels like it'd be a bit much.

IMHO, anyway.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmashedRollpin:  The administrative overhead to add 2FA(Ignoring the code changes) would be insane on this site.

Even if it's made optional (and it should be - we're an internet forum, not a bank), I'm still hesitant to throw my own support behind it, unless there's a solid support plan in place.

Every place I've ever implemented it professionally, was backed up by paid employees who's job it was to answer the phone, work helpdesk tickets, etc, etc - and had the authority (and security permissions) to actually resolve the problem. We...really don't have that right now.

A lot of guys don't really appreciate how absolutely non-tech savvy many of our users are (if you could read the emails sent to accounts@, you'd be nodding your heads in aggressive agreement ). And that's fine (we're a big tent), but they're really hard to support when your start throwing things like MFA at them, and it goes wrong. Even if it's optional, a non-trivial number of users are GOING to turn it on (because moar securitah!!!) and...fuck something up. They'll switch phones, with no OTP backups. They won't safely store recovery keys. They'll goof up in ways I can't even think of right now, but will still need help signing back in just the same, and will need support. And we need to be able to reliably give it to them.

We're just not staffed for that, IMHO. And asking volunteer staff members to do it (they'd need to be trained up on it), feels like it'd be a bit much.

IMHO, anyway.

We don't care about your life, answer the phone and log in my FBI agent pretending to be me, dammit!  
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#44]

IMHO, anyway.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmashedRollpin:
The administrative overhead to add 2FA(Ignoring the code changes) would be insane on this site.

IMHO, anyway.

I volunteer to be a 2FA mode. Make sure users have a recovery option so they do not screw themselves.

I still cannot figure out why commercial websites have better online security than banks. None of my banks will allow to use my yubikeys, only TOTP via text or email, both witch can be spoofed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#45]

I volunteer to be a 2FA mode. Make sure users have a recovery option so they do not screw themselves.

I still cannot figure out why commercial websites have better online security than banks. None of my banks will allow to use my yubikeys, only TOTP via text or email, both witch can be spoofed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmashedRollpin:

IMHO, anyway.

B/c banks have 87 year old customers who just now got a smart phone & discovered texts, and have LOTS of money and would be PISSED and change banks if they get locked out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top