Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2019 11:35:30 AM EDT
I started a thread in GD, the idea is getting great support.

LOTS of members here are getting into 3D printing, there is no good place for 3D printing discussions.

I know I'd be there a lot. I like helping people with 3D printing, and there are TONS of questions for those getting into it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Seconded. It would be a great place to share knowledge and help others that are new to the hobby (like myself)!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thirdeded.

We need this.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
fourthed-ed
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Fifth'ed ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fifth'ed ?
View Quote
We will call "fifth'ed" a thing, just to make you feel better
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
A sub-forum for 3D printing would be great.

Moving these topics out of GD and putting them into a place where it would be easier to find information and better moderate discussions with potential legal considerations would be a good decision.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Would it be 3d printing only,  or would CAD be lumped in there too?  I know there has been a lot of CAD discussion in the big thread in GD.  I'd be all for a 3D printing subforum.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]
3d printing and CAD go hand in hand, don't see why it couldn't be included.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, if a 3d print forum is made I might never go back to GD
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Posting to indicate interest.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I worded that poorly.  I'd be cool with both.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be a regular...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I think this would make life easier for everyone, mods included. 3D printing is only going to grow in capability and popularity from here on out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]
We need it. This is a rapidly growing community among gun folks. Massive community outside of firearms.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 for a 3D forum. I have a project I've been working on that would fit well there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Aye
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Probably an ITAR problem. So unlikely to be able to post anything firearm related in it. But the idea is good.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Probably an ITAR problem. So unlikely to be able to post anything firearm related in it. But the idea is good.
View Quote
No itar issues so long as code isn't hosted on this site
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd contribute for sure!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#20]
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A sub-forum for 3D printing would be great.

Moving these topics out of GD and putting them into a place where it would be easier to find information and better moderate discussions with potential legal considerations would be a good decision.

Thanks!
View Quote
100% agreement.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd be up for this. 3D printing/CNC would be an excellent addition.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Another +1
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is a metal working forum, where I think some CNC stuff shows up.  Perhaps, for traffic sake, that could be turned into an additive/subtractive manufacturing forum?

I do worry that having a separate dedicated forum would actually reduce visibility rather than increase it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I support a 3D Printing sub form!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I would like to see a 3D printing and a CNC router forum.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is a metal working forum, where I think some CNC stuff shows up.  Perhaps, for traffic sake, that could be turned into an additive/subtractive manufacturing forum?

I do worry that having a separate dedicated forum would actually reduce visibility rather than increase it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did just notice that.

Granted metal working is a pretty broad range that doesn't necessarily include CNC. Maybe a computerized manufacturing forum would be a good idea?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think this would make life easier for everyone, mods included. 3D printing is only going to grow in capability and popularity from here on out.
View Quote
Second that!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As somebody who has/does both 3D printing and CNC milling, they are two separate worlds.

The only cross-over really is the CAD modeling. Except for Fusion, the CAM software is its own thing as well.

If the CNC portion got popular, it would clog up the more popular 3D printing forum.

They really are two different worlds.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As somebody who has/does both 3D printing and CNC milling, they are two separate worlds.

The only cross-over really is the CAD modeling. Except for Fusion, the CAM software is its own thing as well.

If the CNC portion got popular, it would clog up the more popular 3D printing forum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but the counter argument is that perhaps neither has a large enough community here to sustain its own separate forum. And while they are different, there is a lot of overlap in the user base. A 3d printer is a type of CNC manufacturing. The same people interested in 3d printing are also often interested in home CNC routers and such. As you said, you do both. So do I. So do a lot of people. The hardware shares a lot of overlap, with steppers/servos, drivers, controllers, gcode, etc. A slicer is CAM, just a different type. The reason people use them is often quite similar.

I think it would make sense to put them together until such clogging occurs. The "cheap 3d printer" thread got like 10 posts yesterday, and the "3d printing for freedom" got like 25, since it's a little newer and novel. The metalworking forum has three threads that were posted in today. I don't see putting all that traffic together as an issue. You'd probably still end up with a week's worth of posting on the first page.

Not a big deal, I'd just rather have a more active subforum to justify the precious, limited site resources. Or else someone will have to construct additional pylons.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes, but the counter argument is that perhaps neither has a large enough community here to sustain its own separate forum. And while they are different, there is a lot of overlap in the user base. A 3d printer is a type of CNC manufacturing. The same people interested in 3d printing are also often interested in home CNC routers and such. As you said, you do both. So do I. So do a lot of people. The hardware shares a lot of overlap, with steppers/servos, drivers, controllers, gcode, etc. A slicer is CAM, just a different type. The reason people use them is often quite similar.

I think it would make sense to put them together until such clogging occurs. The "cheap 3d printer" thread got like 10 posts yesterday, and the "3d printing for freedom" got like 25, since it's a little newer and novel. The metalworking forum has three threads that were posted in today. I don't see putting all that traffic together as an issue. You'd probably still end up with a week's worth of posting on the first page.

Not a big deal, I'd just rather have a more active subforum to justify the precious, limited site resources. Or else someone will have to construct additional pylons.
View Quote
All good points.

If it did become crazy cluttered in the future, it would be easy enough to split them up later.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Hell yeah
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I agree
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
in!
View Quote
Well shit, then you can make it happen
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I made the suggestion a while back that we should have a home manufacturing sub, and move the metalworking, 3d printing, and anything related into it.

I'll fully support this.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I support a 3D and CAD forum.

Not sure about mixing it in with everything else. Maybe CNC.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I support this!

I like the idea of a manufacturing/modeling section.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I support this!

I like the idea of a manufacturing/modeling section.
View Quote
I agree!
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#41]
That's right. That's - that's good. That's good. Unless, of course, somebody comes up with 4D printing.  Then you're in trouble, huh?
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#42]
+87
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top