Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2018 12:57:16 PM EDT
My dad passed away Thursday 9/27/2018 at 83 years old.

Dad enlisted in the Marines when he was 17 in August 1952. The Armistice had been signed before he deployed to Korea, but he was there in time to get a Korea Service Medal. Dad was a gunnery sergeant in 1965 when he was temporarily commisioned as a second lieutenant before his first tour in Vietnam at Marble Mountain in 65-66. He had made captain before his second tour at Da Nang in 70-71. Somewhere in there he also made master sergeant. The war was winding down by the time he got back, and the Marines didn't need as many officers so they pulled his commission in late 71. He got an early out and entered the fleet reserve in February 72 as an E-8. He got his first retirement check the week before his 37th birthday, and retired as a captain after his 10 years in the reserves.

Dad was an east coast Marine. My brother and I were born in the JAX NAS hospital. My sister was born at Cherry Point. We spent several years in Beaufort. Dad spent his entire career in aviation. He served as a maintenance instructor, maintenance chief, and avionics and weapons officer. He served in both rotary and fixed wing units but enjoyed his time working on F4's with VMFA-451 more than any other assignment.

The only thing that made dad prouder than his service in the Marine Corps was his family. Nothing made him happier than his grandkids. We are going to bury him in his officer's blues, with his medals just the way he wanted it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear this...

prayers sent for your family, OP
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for your loss OP.

May your Father rest easy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
RIP Devil Dog.  Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Phantoms.  That's awesome.  Sorry for your loss. Semper Fidelis.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear that! I'm  Marine 2002-2006 grunt!

Hope your Dad and Chesty are living it up doing duty in the afterlife! This November 11th have a party for him!

I want my kids when I do go to be happy! Want November 11th to be my second birthday well maybe third as I feel the day of the dead is awesome also even thou I'm not Hispanic!

Easy let his memory live by doing what made him happy! My grandpa WWII vet passed away in 2008 I still on his birthday and death day enjoy a whiskey something that he enjoyed!

Celebrate him! Be happy!! Remember him and talk of him!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top