User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2018 8:45:16 AM EDT
Had Salomon GTX- soles fell off

Adidas GTX.... GTX failed

Any cheapos that don't fail?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#1]
"Waterproof"

Over 45 years of adult offroad experience on my own and military sponsored. They are only waterproof if you duct tape them to your ankles, and even then, sweat fills them up.

Worst case situation - wading thru knee high grass covered with morning dew. Nope. It soaks thru your pants legs and dribbles down inside your socks filling up your waterproof shoes which now act like two large sucky Tupperware containers.

Fantasy feature sold by merchandisers to a gullible public.

If they don't drain you will be in pain.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Waterproof"

Over 45 years of adult offroad experience on my own and military sponsored. They are only waterproof if you duct tape them to your ankles, and even then, sweat fills them up.

Worst case situation - wading thru knee high grass covered with morning dew. Nope. It soaks thru your pants legs and dribbles down inside your socks filling up your waterproof shoes which now act like two large sucky Tupperware containers.

Fantasy feature sold by merchandisers to a gullible public.

If they don't drain you will be in pain.
View Quote
Dude, bro, I don’t need to cross the Limpopo.

I just need to cross the neighbor’s lawn with early morning dew to begin my 3-4 miles dog walk.

The adidas used to stay dry but at some point the GTX stopped repelling water.

Four years infantry, yea, I know wet feet suck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dude, bro, I don’t need to cross the Limpopo.

I just need to cross the neighbor’s lawn with early morning dew to begin my 3-4 miles dog walk.

The adidas used to stay dry but at some point the GTX stopped repelling water.

Four years infantry, yea, I know wet feet suck.
View Quote
I get that (now,) bought some used Merrells but they were originally $85. Under $50 will be a serious challenge for a quality shoe. Maybe some duck boat low cuts or ?

Rubber is going to be a common material at that price level.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Big 5 sporting goods stores area good bet if you're trying to stay within a budget. I bought a pair of Itasca hikers there last week for $30. Sierra Trading Post is a good online source IF you're willing to roll the dice and but boots you can't try on first. The have some top-flight brands at deep discounts, bit you have to search the site to make sure they have your size.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Big 5 sporting goods stores area good bet if you're trying to stay within a budget. I bought a pair of Itasca hikers there last week for $30. Sierra Trading Post is a good online source IF you're willing to roll the dice and but boots you can't try on first. The have some top-flight brands at deep discounts, bit you have to search the site to make sure they have your size.
View Quote
Sweet.

Just ordered a pair from STP.

$34.99 and they're not even that ugly.

Nord Trail Mt Hood.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Youtube reviews seem to say those shoes are not waterproof.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top