Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2020 5:06:19 PM EDT
So I bought a water softener and a whole house water filter as the title stated! I have a good house and I was thinking about placing all of it in there!

Do you think there is a better place than these might be placed in?

With my setup now it seems like you would be more complex to attach the water softener and water filter in the good house! I really don't have much room in the house for a water softener water filter because of the water heater that is pretty much crap!

So should I suck it up with less room until I can replace the water heater with a tankless water heater? Or should I find a way to water soften and filter at the tap?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Bro, you don't want to drink softened water anyway. Softeners are for showers and faucets. It tastes like salt to drink.  You need RO for drinking.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bro, you don't want to drink softened water anyway. Softeners are for showers and faucets. It tastes like salt to drink.  You need RO for drinking.
View Quote

I drink softened water sometimes at my house and it has never tasted like salt. I prefer drinking hard water simply because the minerals make it taste better IMO but I don’t hesitate to drink softened water. The only people who might want to avoid drinking softened water are people who are on a severely salt restricted diet. A softener only slightly increases your water’s salt content and you can’t taste it. If you can taste it, there’s something wrong with your softener.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I bought a water softener and a whole house water filter as the title stated! I have a good house and I was thinking about placing all of it in there!

Do you think there is a better place than these might be placed in?

With my setup now it seems like you would be more complex to attach the water softener and water filter in the good house! I really don't have much room in the house for a water softener water filter because of the water heater that is pretty much crap!

So should I suck it up with less room until I can replace the water heater with a tankless water heater? Or should I find a way to water soften and filter at the tap?
View Quote

Find place to install softener and filter. Install softener and filter. Done. Everything will take up some space.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I drink softened water sometimes at my house and it has never tasted like salt. I prefer drinking hard water simply because the minerals make it taste better IMO but I don’t hesitate to drink softened water. The only people who might want to avoid drinking softened water are people who are on a severely salt restricted diet. A softener only slightly increases your water’s salt content and you can’t taste it. If you can taste it, there’s something wrong with your softener.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU can't taste it. I can.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
"good house"  - im confused..

I would do a double or triple Big Blue 10" inline filter before the water softener..  I run a 30 micron, then a 20 micron then a 5 micron filters inline.   I got my filter bank from H2O splash and connected it myself with borrowed pex crimper.

The water softener needs a drain - so that limits where you can put it somewhat.'

biran
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

YOU can't taste it. I can.
View Quote

There’s something wrong with yours then. A softener only uses the salt brine to clean the resin when it regenerates. It rinses the resin multiple times to remove the salt during the regeneration process and only a tiny bit is left behind. The amount you would consume is FAR less than the average person consumes normally in food. If a tiny extra bit of salt consumption is a problem, then just use potassium chloride. Most people use salt because it’s cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't even know what the OP is trying to say.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is in the basement...
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't even know what the OP is trying to say.
View Quote

This..No wonder people are confused over biden vs trump
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This..No wonder people are confused over biden vs trump
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Garage?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Install the whole house filter right after the well tank, before the water softener.  Ideally if you have high iron in your water you'll install a whole house water filter (like the 'big blue') with an iron specific filter, than after the  iron filter a carbon filter, then into your water softener.  After the water softener it feeds the rest of your house (including hot water, etc)..
Softened water isn't salty unless you bought a cheap ass softener, get a Kinetico softener and
https://www.cleanwaterstore.com/1-micron-big-blue-filter-system/big-blue-filter-1-micron-20-gpm-1-npt.html
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Install the whole house filter right after the well tank, before the water softener.  Ideally if you have high iron in your water you'll install a whole house water filter (like the 'big blue') with an iron specific filter, than after the  iron filter a carbon filter, then into your water softener.  After the water softener it feeds the rest of your house (including hot water, etc)..
Softened water isn't salty unless you bought a cheap ass softener, get a Kinetico softener and
https://www.cleanwaterstore.com/1-micron-big-blue-filter-system/big-blue-filter-1-micron-20-gpm-1-npt.html
View Quote

^This^.   Add to it an RO filter under the kitchen sink for cooking and drinking water, plus a line to the fridge for  ice cubes and cold drinking water.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#14]
In our last home the filter and softener units were located in laundry room adjacent to the Water Heater.  Provided easy access and there was a drain handy for the flushing required by the units.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top