BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was confused by the "spook"(?) in the command center who, after Colonel Moore's "Broken Arrow" call, said "There's no hiding it now."

Hiding WHAT exactly? That they thought we were going to lose a full bird Colonel and his SgtMaj, in our first major engagement with the NVA?
View Quote

He was LtC at the time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had the chance to meet STGMAJ Plumley at WRAMC about 18 years ago. Great guy. Great to talk to.
View Quote

Other than the stolen valor stuff, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Read Galloway's book.  Part II tells about how 2/7 got overrun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the book for my lieutenants.  It is generally better.  The description of CPT Myron Diduryk and Rick Rescorla laying in their company defense was  textbook perfect and leaps out as the most professional characters in the book.  If memory serves the fire support was brought in REALLY close, Rescorla was personally getting in every hole and checking depth, and cracking jokes as his green troops had a very high pucker factor.  

I am going to say, as I got older the book left a bad taste in my mouth when I think of how you have Moore writing a book where part one is "look how awesome my battalion and I were" and Part II is "Look how much my fellow battalion commander, McDade, screwed up and got his people killed."   I always thought that was in poor taste.  Tell your story and stay in your lane, or let Galloway be the sole author.

The made-up bayonet charge was stupid, but I guess I really didnt care for how Diduryk and Rescorla were air brushed out.  Cant think of a good reason for that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think that was what he was stroking
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stroke mine every once in awhile when alone sitting in my garage, its nice and feels familiar and comforting.

Good Movie

Did you have an m16 with you?

I was talking about my M16 clone!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Last time I did that with the garage door open my neighbor called the cops and they told me to put pants on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stroke mine every once in awhile when alone sitting in my garage, its nice and feels familiar and comforting.

Good Movie
Last time I did that with the garage door open my neighbor called the cops and they told me to put pants on.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the book and the DVD.  There are some pics in the book that show an NCO and an Officer, each with his wife.  You can tell by the looks on their faces that they know whether they are going to die or survive. The looks on their wives' faces are the opposite of their husbands'.
There are some things in the book that jell with the special features in the DVD.

I don't think the "instant" illumination Arty round was too far fetched.  The guys on the firebase that was supporting Moore's unit had one purpose, which was to provide supporting fire exactly when and where they needed it.  I know those 105s, or whatever they were using had to be loaded, with the crew right there and awake, all night long.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a great movie. Mel did a pretty good job of portraying Hal Moore. There are a lot of great leadership moments in the movie that you can use for LPDs.
View Quote

Agreed.
If you like the movie, read the book. Seriously.

One of the most moving, and, honestly, depressing, remembrances of a battle I’ve ever read.

It was also one of the most uplifting, hopeful, and patriotic.
Might be the best book I’ve ever read. Read it the first time in one sitting,  was up to five in the morning, completely sober.
Couldn’t sleep after.

Gave that version to my FIL, who spent two days visiting us reading it.

I’ve read my second version twice more. It’s moving and speaks to me somehow.

The movie is my top five.

The interactions between SGM Plumley and Sgt. Savage crack me up.
Casting is awesome, and it sticks pretty close to the book.

I DGAS how old it is, it’s awesome.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#11]
The book is worth reading, iirc (the ole biological HD is getting full) it goes beyond the battle and what happens to the troops that relieved them.

Or am I muddling up my 1st Cav books.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
RIP Joe
View Quote

I attended a reunion in Vegas last year for one of the Air Cav units. Among the large pictures on their Wall of Honor was one of Joe Galloway.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The instant artillary rounds and air support, and the midwestern terrain could have been better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The garrison parts of the movie were tolerable, but the battle scenes were just cheesy as fuck.

The instant artillary rounds and air support, and the midwestern terrain could have been better

Were you expecting triple canopy jungle?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Holy shit. You watched a 20 year old movie??? Definitely make a thread about it!!!
View Quote

And yet you were interested enough to click the thread and post something stupid.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have the DVD there's one of the best scenes I've ever enjoyed pulled in the extra content.

It involves that gungho Sergeant Major and a uniform inspection that he forgot to wear his ribbons.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The movie is just called "We were soldiers". We get it. You know what the book is called.
View Quote

In fairness the movie only covered the first part of the book.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Love that scene but FSE
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If they guns were laid on priority targets, the rounds should be shot in under 30 seconds.  

Arty can be qucik as hell, if the redundant checks and clearance of fires procedures were stripped out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The garrison parts of the movie were tolerable, but the battle scenes were just cheesy as fuck.

I think they at least cut the scenes, even as a kid I assumed time had past.  I wouldn't want to wait 5 minutes for artillery to start landing as a viewer or an hour for bombs if it's anything like my experience in Afghanistan.  

I thought the combat was pretty good with the exception of the bayonet charge at the end.  

An LZ Albany pt II would be great.

If they guns were laid on priority targets, the rounds should be shot in under 30 seconds.  

Arty can be qucik as hell, if the redundant checks and clearance of fires procedures were stripped out.

I worked the Ia Drang area late in the war with my pink team, so I am familiar with the location.   I don't recall exactly where their Arty support was coming from during the battle in'65, but I suspect it was Plei Me and Duc Co FSB's were both close by (14-15 miles).  Flight time for those illum. rounds would be very short.  As you say, the tubes were surely prepped for such things.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What is an LPD?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a great movie. Mel did a pretty good job of portraying Hal Moore. There are a lot of great leadership moments in the movie that you can use for LPDs.

What is an LPD?

A big Navy ship that hauls Marines and their stuff.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you have the DVD there's one of the best scenes I've ever enjoyed pulled in the extra content.

It involves that gungho Sergeant Major and a uniform inspection that he forgot to wear his ribbons.
View Quote

The one that clearly never happened?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I worked the Ia Drang area late in the war with my pink team, so I am familiar with the location.   I don't recall exactly where their Arty support was coming from during the battle in'65, but I suspect it was Plei Me and Duc Co FSB's were both close by (14-15 miles).  Flight time for those illum. rounds would be very short.  As you say, the tubes were surely prepped for such things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they at least cut the scenes, even as a kid I assumed time had past.  I wouldn't want to wait 5 minutes for artillery to start landing as a viewer or an hour for bombs if it's anything like my experience in Afghanistan.  

I thought the combat was pretty good with the exception of the bayonet charge at the end.  

What did you think of the ending battle with the Huey Helicopter "Gun Ships" rising up from BEHIND the charging troops and firing forward while the Troops were "charging" into the NVA area?

Bit "Hollywoodish" as I can easily imagine some Blue on Blue casualties ... ? ?

Bigger_Hammer

@Snake_driver
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What did you think of the ending battle with the Huey Helicopter "Gun Ships" rising up from BEHIND the charging troops and firing forward while the Troops were "charging" into the NVA area?

Bigger_Hammer

@Snake_driver
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger_Hammer

@Snake_driver

Yeah that charge and the helicopter hovering in to mow down the enemy was all Hollyweird bullshit trying to make the shot work.  NOBODY did that shit!  In my time in '72-'73, stopping to hover would have got your shit waxed.   Speed was life!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He was LtC at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was confused by the "spook"(?) in the command center who, after Colonel Moore's "Broken Arrow" call, said "There's no hiding it now."

Hiding WHAT exactly? That they thought we were going to lose a full bird Colonel and his SgtMaj, in our first major engagement with the NVA?

He was LtC at the time.
My bad.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#24]
The book is my favorite regarding the Vietnam war. It goes into detail about individual soldiers the movie left out.  I recall one soldier’s story of a guy who’d been wounded, then a NVA soldier found him, then shot him point blank in the eye as an execution.  The guy managed to live and eventually flagged down a helicopter.  I don’t remember much else about that guy so I think I’ll re-read the book
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep, and you posted an edgy response in it, and bumped it back to the top...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit. You watched a 20 year old movie??? Definitely make a thread about it!!!

Yep, and you posted an edgy response in it, and bumped it back to the top...

Took a great dump this morning. Decided not to make a thread about it. In spite of your aspirational 20 year old movie watching thread, I held my fire. Carry on.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top