Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

^^^^ This. That's the #1 reason. Having an official paper trail is important.

I definitely understand the desire to not look like a "Karen" who demands the PD call out the state crime lab for a missing garden gnome or whatever.

However, like Aimless' story, you never know. Perhaps the guy is a potential suspect in a larger pattern of thefts, and the PD is actively out to get him. Or perhaps he's of interest for some more serious crime like assaulting a neighbor.

On the chance  the police are tracking this guy, maybe lockinload is the first to get him on video. Obviously, with Ring doorbells becoming common, having video is not as novel or juicy as it once was to police, but having actual evidence to give the DA to work with, so if they actually do catch him, he can be prosecuted more easily, that can still get their attention.

And having a laid back attitude while being helpful as possible, and conveying to the police through what you say, and how you say it, that your expectations are low, "you know how it works", and are reporting the incident "just in case" etc. can go a very long way.

You have to maximize your status as a non-drunk, non-high,  non low-life who's full of lies and excuses that they've heard a million times before. And as someone who's in the nominal law-abiding people/victim category, you aren't belligerent or in "I pay your salary!"-mode.

In the 22 years at my current residence, I've at least had the satisfaction of seeing people cuffed-n-stuffed for relatively minor things, in terms of what the police otherwise deal with by using this approach.

I'm not advocating that anyone actually tastes the boot polish. I'm just suggesting that a strategic sniff of it might get you some retribution on the criminal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Have them file a report. Usually they will take it over the phone for an incident like this. If the guy comes back again, maybe with friends intent on checking the inside of your house, you might have to clap someone. It would be advantageous to have a police report on file documenting prior incidents. It just makes the whole deal more justifiable from a legal perspective. It would take 10 minutes and could potentially save you a lot of time on the back end.

^^^^ This. That's the #1 reason. Having an official paper trail is important.

I definitely understand the desire to not look like a "Karen" who demands the PD call out the state crime lab for a missing garden gnome or whatever.

However, like Aimless' story, you never know. Perhaps the guy is a potential suspect in a larger pattern of thefts, and the PD is actively out to get him. Or perhaps he's of interest for some more serious crime like assaulting a neighbor.

On the chance  the police are tracking this guy, maybe lockinload is the first to get him on video. Obviously, with Ring doorbells becoming common, having video is not as novel or juicy as it once was to police, but having actual evidence to give the DA to work with, so if they actually do catch him, he can be prosecuted more easily, that can still get their attention.

And having a laid back attitude while being helpful as possible, and conveying to the police through what you say, and how you say it, that your expectations are low, "you know how it works", and are reporting the incident "just in case" etc. can go a very long way.

You have to maximize your status as a non-drunk, non-high,  non low-life who's full of lies and excuses that they've heard a million times before. And as someone who's in the nominal law-abiding people/victim category, you aren't belligerent or in "I pay your salary!"-mode.

In the 22 years at my current residence, I've at least had the satisfaction of seeing people cuffed-n-stuffed for relatively minor things, in terms of what the police otherwise deal with by using this approach.

I'm not advocating that anyone actually tastes the boot polish. I'm just suggesting that a strategic sniff of it might get you some retribution on the criminal.

Or, it could be his third strike and enough to put him away long enough to give the neighbors a reprieve on their shit getting stolen for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As stated before, post pictures of the motherfucking thief for all to see. By trespassing, he lost any and all rights to privacy and you will be doing a civil service. Post them on your local FB and call LE showing them copies of the motherfucker (police report). He stole from you and that can’t be let go. Take out a section of the local paper with pictures. I would go scorched earth on the little ANTIFA fuck (yes I labeled him as such and I don’t give a fuck). I am a vengeful son of a bitch and I got to great lengths to fucking destroy such vermin! I made a fulfilling career out of putting cocksuckers like him in jail for 22 years and I encourage good folks to never let shit like this go. Remember, they are not human anymore. Just vermin. Happy hunting!
View Quote

We can be neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep.
And he'll be bringing his friends with him.
Too much for one man to carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He'll be back, and soon.

Yep.
And he'll be bringing his friends with him.
Too much for one man to carry.

This. Advance scout.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Lucky he didn't assault your girl friend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would shoot the mother fucker on sight if I could get away with it.  Thing is, had my GF opened that door
as she walked by, that "vermin" would have knocked her down trying to get away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As stated before, post pictures of the motherfucking thief for all to see. By trespassing, he lost any and all rights to privacy and you will be doing a civil service. Post them on your local FB and call LE showing them copies of the motherfucker (police report). He stole from you and that can’t be let go. Take out a section of the local paper with pictures. I would go scorched earth on the little ANTIFA fuck (yes I labeled him as such and I don’t give a fuck). I am a vengeful son of a bitch and I got to great lengths to fucking destroy such vermin! I made a fulfilling career out of putting cocksuckers like him in jail for 22 years and I encourage good folks to never let shit like this go. Remember, they are not human anymore. Just vermin. Happy hunting!

I would shoot the mother fucker on sight if I could get away with it.  Thing is, had my GF opened that door

Vermin should I be shot.  Thieving would stop.  I’d be happy with sharia law.  Chop off the hand.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cops wont take prints unless someone died..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either turn the skateboard over to LE and ask it be fingerprinted to identify the perp or take matters into your own hands when he comes back. Lots of folks I know might bust him up with a bat just enough to discourage him from ever returning. Not that I’d recommend that.

Cops wont take prints unless someone died..

LOL WAS ABOUT TO POST THIS LOL
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a client who was caught and prosecuted for a commercial burglary where nothing was taken based on dna. Actually I had another client was caught on a non residential burglary from DNA. Did you call the police?
View Quote

Wow- what PD is that? They have lots of free time on their hands LOL
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Glass half full says you got a free skateboard.

Do a kickflip.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't have a dog?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok, so my surveillance is a basic Lorex with 8 cameras.  It does not have any Wifi capability and must be plugged into
a ethernet cable to access the web.  I am using WiFi for my internet and the server is in the club house where we
had the dinner.  Maybe a wireless router gets me hooked up to it but I'm not sure.  Anyhow, the only way I can backup
or copy footage is to be connected to the internet directly from the Lorex, at least to the best of my knowledge.

It's all a mute point as I am moving in 2 months.  That shed does not have much left in it and after today it won't have anything of value in it.  
Where we are moving, the likely hood of an event like this is pretty slim.  5 miles from a town or stop light.
View Quote

Not sure on Lorex but usually you can put in a USB key and record to that.

On my HIKvision I can also do it from my smartphone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don’t think it’s a livestock business.
View Quote

Privately owned equines here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He'll be back, and soon.
View Quote

Levon Helm (R.I.P): "still got the shovel" | Shooter (2007)

Be prepared with the shovel.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#13]
pics?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He'll be back, and soon.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lucky he didn't assault your girl friend.
View Quote

Lucky for him, you're right.  We were in earshot had there been an incident.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Before I could give any recommendations or suggestions, I need to know if you have access to a back hoe.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
OP:  lock him in the garage and say "now youse can't leave"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shoot a bunch of holes in the skateboard. Write "you forgot something" on it and leave by the street
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Shoot a bunch of holes in the skateboard. Write "you forgot something" on it and leave by the street

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just dig a shallow grave right near the barn and stand the shovel and bag of lime right next to it.

He should get the message... and if not....

Do both of these and put the skateboard in the ground as a headstone.

That should take care of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry double tap...come to think of it...add that to the list.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He didn't give a fuck if he got caught or not.
View Quote

They don't care.
On Ring in my area there are at least 3 videos posted a week where prowlers are checking cars.
The police are powerless to do anything.
The county prosecuting attorney is a piece of shit, catch and release is his motto.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm trying to get a backup of the time frame but the file keeps saying the format is wrong.  I've backed up in MP4 and
AVI and neither will play on my computer.  If can get it I will post it on my Utube channel.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Tranq a bear, put it in the shed, leave unlocked. Win.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Would your collection of historic rusty bear leg traps be safe in said garage? Plus your collection of live bald faced hornets ?? It would be a shame if those were potentially rooted through in the dark…
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#24]
You mean that guy who pulled a knife on you when you confronted him after catching him on your property? Right?

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much does it take for people to realize this is what should be done?

"He only took an air rifle and a sleeve but left the good stuff because he got spooked." By your GF who was only feet away.
Are you waiting for her, you, or someone you care about to get hurt or killed?

You're not going after him because your here talking about it and creating a paper trail here.

Call the cops and create that paper trail incase he shows back up.

By the way, how has your GF reacted to the video?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

You hope. Maybe he rapes her 1st. Then leaves, hopefully.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
The correct term is unhoused.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He didn't give a fuck if he got caught or not.
I will see him around this neighborhood soon.  This was broad fucking daylight and
I have tons of video of him, his clothes, his walk.  He was wearing a pull up gator over
his nose.
View Quote
He'll give a fuck when you beat his scumbag ass with his own skateboard trucks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Would your collection of historic rusty bear leg traps be safe in said garage? Plus your collection of live bald faced hornets ?? It would be a shame if those were potentially rooted through in the dark…
View Quote

I would prefer a face to face confrontation where I need to defend myself.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#30]
You know, if you live on a ranch in a rural area, well...

...no one would probably ever find a shallow grave, were one to (ahem) "appear."

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Pot needles

Why yo hate freedom

This is what happens when you legalize dope.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Suppressor thread?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Has it occurred to you to make a police report and have them lift prints off the skateboard? He did steal a gun after all, even if it was only a pellet gun.
I know that the Sheriff's Department of my County would be happy to clear a few cases on some dirtbag.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We have a majority of the fence lines that are electric but not on this side.  We don't have any livestock
on this side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He just climbs over a barbed wire fence? You need electrified fencing and more barbed wire

We have a majority of the fence lines that are electric but not on this side.  We don't have any livestock
on this side.

And the electric fence for cattle and horses doesn't do s*** to people
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#35]
You were next door in the "club house"? Is this a gated/HOA type setup? LoL ranch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't know what a loafing shed is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like you have plenty of land. I bet you have a shovel too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ambush his ass!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He'll be back when he thinks its safe. Give it a few days to a week. Maybe have the skateboard in sight :)

I live in a part of my state where until 1-2 years ago, there was next to zero crime. Then everyone started moving here from all of the shit places in CA and magically, we ended up with people noticing shit missing and things stolen out of cars. That slowly progressed to hearing about people coming home to people in their house, people trying to break in....and we had our first drive by shooting a few months ago.

I've been thinking of how I can probably catch those assholes who walk around the nicer neighborhoods at 3am and lift door handles, steal shit out of cars and garages. Not sure on the legality, but having a huge garage with multiple doors on it would make for easy bait by leaving one of them open at night as some people do on accident.

I'd tie a rope to the emergency release cable for it, and sit on the far end of the garage in total darkness with my PVS31 on and my carbine. You couldn't see me unless you were 5 feet infront of me.

They'd wander in, looking around at all this wonderful free shit to steal and then the garage door would magically drop down and make the garage pitch black. I can only imagine the level of pissing yourself that would give someone, followed by a voice from the corner of the garage telling you to get the fuck down while a red laser turns on.

I have a camera inside the garage to record it all as proof they actually did come in. Thinking of this again, I need to see what the state law is on this lol
View Quote
Then when the thief says "but aren't you going to call the police?".
You say why would I get them involved when no one knows that you are here except me and you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I saw a documentary where a kid who was home alone  set up booby traps when a couple burglars started to come around.
View Quote

I hear that same kid met donald trump.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is communication the prowler will understand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I meant it was a mute point about getting my surveillance hooked to internet.  Trust me, we are on high
alert.  The GF is quite proficient with a firearm.  We have 4 dogs, two of which would tear into someone.
No not taking this lightly.  
I think I am going to set up some trip wires to an alarm.  To top it off we have 3 bears that are on the
property quite a bit so maybe I can scare them off too.
View Quote

Where were the dogs when the skate rat came calling?  Would think they should have alerted
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:32:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I guess you should lock your doors.
View Quote

Doors should not require locks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:21:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Probably was a canner, I've heard lots of stories about them looking for aluminum cans after parties, especially in states that have deposits on cans and bottles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Replace the barbed wire with razor wire.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:02:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Shotgun shell trap with bean bags. Aim at gut height, then wait.

He will be back with friends. And soon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:16:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Tuco and Saul worked out a pretty good deal with skaters that caused some problems.  Not advocating, just throwing it out there.

Mijo | Season 1 Ep 2 | Better Call Saul
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#48]

If it weren't for folks like you not locking up your stuff, there would be no thieves ...

(kidding - thieves should get "Islamic Justice" - if you know what I mean in Minecraft ...)

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:15:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Board up the window and replace the lock on the door with one that has a handle that doesn't turn.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I would prefer a face to face confrontation where I need to defend myself.
View Quote

then you should get rid off this thread.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top