Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2021 5:00:03 PM EDT
My oldest turned 5 this year and I got him a firefighter themed watch off Amazon. Battery died not long after. Then it wouldn’t keep time and now the case is cracked in half

He doesn’t go out of his way to smash stuff but he is 5.

Are there kids watches that will fit tiny wrists but actually hold up? Need to be analog displays too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Any particular reason for analog? I would think an original style Timex would work:

https://www.timex.com/browse/collections/kids-watches/
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any particular reason for analog? I would think an original style Timex would work:

https://www.timex.com/browse/collections/kids-watches/
View Quote

I want him to tell time the hard way before he gets the east way
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
All kids watches are horrible. Even way back when I was a kid.

My dad bought me a used Tudor when I was in first or second grade. It lasted until my house fire.

I bought myself a Star Wars R2D2 C3PO watch. It lasted one battery worth.

Throw a caliper on that fireman and tell us the diameter you consider a kid’s watch.

Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Analog G-shock from their women's or Baby-G lines. It'll be smaller than the men's versions, but still tough enough for a 5 yr old.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All kids watches are horrible. Even way back when I was a kid.

My dad bought me a used Tudor when I was in first or second grade. It lasted until my house fire.

I bought myself a Star Wars R2D2 C3PO watch. It lasted one battery worth.

Throw a caliper on that fireman and tell us the diameter you consider a kid’s watch.

View Quote

I don’t even own a Tudor myself so he’s not getting one yet.

My omega and similar will ride up past his elbow. None of the natos get tight enough snd then the 40mm bezels hang over the side of his arm in both sides.

I measured, his is 26mm across the whole watch and the strap is 14mm

Shown next to a 40mm bezel

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Women's Citizen Eco-Drive. No battery worries...ever.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I would hit up a few garage sales / goodwill / local trift store with him.

You should be able to buy some for about under $10.

That way if he kills or loses it no big deal.
You might have to a battery on them, or get some links out no big deal.

And it gives him a collection to change them out & rotate them, just like you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I would not suggest a Tudor for him, especially at current prices. The one my dad bought me wasn’t much more expensive than a Timex.

I would suggest watching the Japanese pawn shops on eBay. The ones with very high (multiple thousands) feedback. They have a lot of boys and ladies watches that are very inexpensive for what they are. An old quartz Tag Heuer Formula One would take a lot of abuse. Bought at the right price it might be a point of pride years down the road
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would not suggest a Tudor for him, especially at current prices. The one my dad bought me wasn’t much more expensive than a Timex. worth it for me eventually? I like the bronze black bay they just put out and can't imagine I ever buy a rolex at current prices

I would suggest watching the Japanese pawn shops on eBay. The ones with very high (multiple thousands) feedback. They have a lot of boys and ladies watches that are very inexpensive for what they are. An old quartz Tag Heuer Formula One would take a lot of abuse. Bought at the right price it might be a point of pride years down the road
View Quote

have a link or names for the japanese pawn shops? that sounds interesting to consider
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

have a link or names for the japanese pawn shops? that sounds interesting to consider
View Quote

If Tudor makes a model you like, go for it. Prices are a little crazy right now though.

Boy’s and Women’s size watches are always cheaper than the full size models. Especially used.

I don’t want to endorse any one seller over the other. As long as they have a good history and a ratings in the thousands you should be OK. Those types of business are pretty highly regulated in Japan. Closer0924 has a lot of inventory and might be a good one to start with. I’ve bought from them as well as several others over the years. Never a hiccup that wasn’t caused by the USPS.

You will find the same watch listed with different sellers. You will also find a single seller with multiples of the same model watch. Don’t let these things scare you.

The watches are usually over polished, but not overly cleaned (meaning there is polishing debris left behind). When you look at multiple listing of the same model from one seller look at the details (like polishing dirt), you will see they are different watches.

Multiple Japanese sellers listing the same watch is typically some trying to broker and sell to their repeat customers.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought my son one of the brass/plated cased Timex watches, put a canvas strap on it. He loved it, but 3 months later it looked like it was drug behind a car. The case plating was dinged up pretty bad and whatever material they used for the crystal did not have a 4th grader in mind.

I actually went out and bought him a 38mm quartz Invicta Pro Diver for $50. It's held up decently so far and he likes it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top