Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2022 3:47:57 PM EDT
I’m looking to buy a watch for my 12 year old son. He had some kids character watches when he was younger but needs something more age appropriate. I don’t want to spend a bunc, obviously. I’d like to find a something less than $100 for and maybe a $50 option as well.

Analog
Date window or day/date
Minimum 100m water resistant
Appropriate size but something that will give him a bit of room to grow as well.

Something like the Casio Duro would be great if they weren’t sized for NFL linemen.

He loves my G Shock 2100. It’s a shame they only offer the smaller version in women’s colors.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a bit more expensive, but I have had one for about 20 years and like it.
My only issue is that the band is a bit short for my thick wrist.
I have had zero problems with it in that time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQS1JW?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My 6 year old
Loves his Timex Expedirion snd loved it
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Your son swims 100 meters deep?
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your son swims 100 meters deep?
View Quote

The “meters” has nothing to do with what WR meaning is. It’s a unit of measure that doesn’t mean “100 centimeters” in this context.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
LRW200H-1BVCF

It is a smaller diameter watch that fits most of what you want and won't hurt when he breaks it or losses it.

ETA I would suggest looking at ladies watches in black or blue.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Casio Forester.
- Different colors available.
- Band is nylon/velcro so it should fit his wrist.
- 100 meter water resistant.

- When it dies or is broken, buy another ($19 to $29).

Casio Forester
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I suggest a silicon band for whatever you get.  Kids are hell on leather.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
While I'm not 12 years old, I really like my Timex expedition..  I don't think it is waterproof to 100M though.  My thought was if I ever find myself under 100 M of water, how well my watch works will be the least of my problems.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
My Vote
the screw down making it water tight is a bonus

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCQHSRL?tag=arfcom00-20

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Vote
the screw down making it water tight is a bonus

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCQHSRL?tag=arfcom00-20

www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCQHSRL

View Quote

I agree with the Invicta pro diver. It was my first watch my dad gave me since I was wanting his Submariner. I really enjoyed the rotating bezel.

It comes in a bunch of different color combos. This one is slightly more expensive then the above linked one, but I thought the colors looked good and wanted to throw it in as well

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TWVX22Q?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Can't go wrong with a Casio G-Shock, Ironman, or maybe even a Freestyle Shark Watch.  The Timex Expedition is a good choice too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Seiko 5 Sports.

It's an automatic but BFD, he'll love looking at the internals thru the clear backside.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#14]
How does he feel about Godzilla?  My one son has something like this.   They are around $100 on ebay. Just look for Godzilla Watch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Get a Seiko 5 and put it on a NATO or on a $8 rubber waffle strap from cheapestnato like this.

The SNK381 is around $100 and is a classic. Smaller case so it won't look ridiculous on a kid.

An automatic will teach some responsibility to a kid. Having to set it, wear it consistently. The lume, moving hand and clear case back showing all the intricate guts ticking away will be way more interesting than a generic quartz Timex expedition or G-Shock or whatever. Regulating it can be a fun intro to mechanical tinkering that you both would enjoy, all you need to do it is a $6 Amazon case back tool, a toothpick and time.

He can wear it for the next two years or the next twenty.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought this in the EE a few minutes ago.  I’m going to try not to keep it for myself. Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top