BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
My last Kenmore washer last 20+ years. It was purchased in the late 80’s though. Still rocking my 1994 purchased Kenmore 25cu/ft side by side fridge. New stuff is complete junk.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, quit being such a little bitch.

You aint shit until you've completely disassembled the damn thing and posted pics.

You don't have to be able to actually fix it, or even reassemble it. But you gotta take it apart. Dafug you got to lose. Its already 100% not working.

There probably are 10 youtube videos on the exact issue your common-as-dirt appliance is exhibiting.

You can do this.

You might even have to buy a tool. The horror.
View Quote

This. It’s a motor and signal. Not hard. Solved with a screwdriver and maybe a nut driver.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Speed Queen. I don't consider them ugly at all. Actually quite handsome in my opinion.
Our set is from 2011. I replaced the top on the washer because I noticed it was starting to rust under the lip when I had the top unbolted to clean the top of the drum one day. And the dryer motor started to overheat after a little use (common problem for this year) and replaced that with an updated p/n.
The new TC5 washer is the same but has more electronic shit in it. So find a older set if you can and fix it to new specs again.
This set will never die, not so long as I'm still able to turn a screw driver.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Built in obsolescence.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Speed queen...
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I average a new washer every 5-6 years. Both Whirlpool and Maytag. And not the cheap models.
View Quote

That’s crazy. I’m going on 12 years with my Maytag set. We got middle of the road. The pump has broke twice in the washer but it’s about a 15-20 minute fix and $35 part. I also had a circuit blow on it once but I just soldered a new line in it. So it hasn’t been perfect but it’s been very easy to fix each time it’s broken.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Our dryer broke, so I fixed it, then it burned the same thing out immediately.  Turns out it was a board.  It was 9 years old so I bought that stupid expensive commercial Maytag with a ten year warranty.

We are giving the washer to her brother and I’m buying her a speed queen.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]
While recently shopping for new laundry machines myself, I was told that everything is basically Whirlpool or GE, because they own most of the patents on all of the parts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Maytag Commercial
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Speed queen tc5000 classic is what you seek..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27489/speedqueen_jpg-2036321.JPG
View Quote

Shit I’d have to skip a meal to fit in that laundry room
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My LG washer has been dying the last year , but after 6 people living at my house and five of them girls it’s done ok.

But I feel your pain. My LG fridge just took a dump and it’s only eight years old. Right now I’m living out of four coolers until I can fix it or get a new one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
My Maytag gas (propane) dryer sounds like a car with rocks in the hubcap going down the road.   I just got  parts in, belt, idler pulley's so hopefully I can bring it back to life in a few days.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Maytag gas (propane) dryer sounds like a car with rocks in the hubcap going down the road.   I just got  parts in, belt, idler pulley's so hopefully I can bring it back to life in a few days.
View Quote

You can unbolt the tumblers from the drum, do that and pennies and hair clips are sure to fall out which are causing noise. Also, feel your rollers that the drum rides on for any resistance as that's a big cause for noise. But guessing based on your gravel noise your tumblers are full of shit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Meanwhile my washer from 1994 is cleaning my clothes.  It's noisy but it serves its one function.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought a Samsung kitchen package when we built our house in 2013.

Here is how long everything lasted before we had to replace it.

Microwave = 3 years
Dishwasher = 5 years
Stove = 8 years

So far fridge is still running.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Going over a decade with a no-name spinoff from Whirlpool dryer (Ingles or something)....like two years ago I had to replace a few parts on it and am glad I didn't break down and replace it.

Just replaced Whirlpool washer about two years ago too. Got one for like $500 or something. I forget what model. Got one for two relatives too (with warranty). I didn't get the extended warranty on mine cuz I'm a handy-gal and meh, what the warranty costs (along with possible co-pays), I figure if I can't repair it at some point, then I will just replace it.

Frigadere refrigerator going over 11 yrs now too. Idk, I think maintenance has to do with it. I clean the coils regularly.

Oven/stove needed a repair the other day as top ignitor didn't work. $60 part and me getting my hands dirty fixed it. I was soooooo ready to buy a new one - yea, that's what we women like, to splurge on a whole new kitchen or something

And my Heater/HVAC. The nightmare of repairs I did give me PTSD. I will not discuss that right now...Just imagine sleeping in extreme heat and/or cold. But, I must say Trane has been good to me.

Anywho, my shit lasts thank God to YouTube, me being handy and cheap, and I buy very simple appliances. I figure the more bells and whistles, the more expensive and complicated to fix. OH yea, and IMO, don't buy parts from Amazon....IMO, lots of imitation Chyna junk. Buy parts from a reputable place online.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#18]
speed queen commercial unit.
skip the bullshit features like blue tooth, wifi, and any digital screens
analogue ftw

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Whirlpool sucks.  Everywhere I looked Whirlpool had shit ratings.
I just bought a big, heavy as fuck GE due to a poster here.
I usually buy Bosch but all that are available anywhere around here are small versions.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Samsung I bought didn't last 8 months until it needed a bunch of new parts.  At least it was covered under their ONE year warranty.
View Quote

Just got rid of a Samsung VRT I bought used about 7 Years ago.  
Of course no longer made and Samsung isn’t what it probably used to be.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#21]
LG Trom goin strong 11+ years knock on mother fucking wood.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speed queen tc5000 classic is what you seek..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27489/speedqueen_jpg-2036321.JPG

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Meanwhile my washer from 1994 is cleaning my clothes.  It's noisy but it serves its one function.
View Quote

I've done almost no repairs on the washer.  Cleaned out the timer about 6 years ago.
The dryer was burning out elements in less than a year, even after replacing all the controls.  I'm using a 2012 Maytag dryer I got for free.  I also got the 2012 Maytag washer but it's a HE nonsense and a gigantic piece of shit so I still use the 1994 Kenmore washer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Our washer and dryer went our three days ago. Both are less than 3 years old.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#25]
edit [double post]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Price you pay today is double, comrade, in USA appliances break you.

It's made to break outside of warranty so you will be the lazy customer and buy a newer one. I looked at New washer and dryer when I was at Lowe's $1500 for the junk they sell now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I average a new washer every 5-6 years. Both Whirlpool and Maytag. And not the cheap models.
View Quote

Damn! My Sears kenmore series 70 set has been running without any maintenance since 1993.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought my Maytag in 1986.  It has been used for 2 - 5 loads per week ever since then.

One major repair and one or two minor repairs.  I am afraid to replace it with a new one because of all the horror stories I hear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Dreading the day our 20 year old Maytag Neptune set goes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Probably the clutch.  You can get one for a pittance anywhere and install it with youtube and a few standard tools.  Stop being a bitch.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#31]
To echo the smartest replies so far - get Speed Queen.

Got tired of fixing stupid parts on our washing machine while the laundry piled up - got a Speed Queen. Didn't go with the all-mechanical versions like the commercial or older consumer models - wound up with the TR7. We'll see how the electronics work out in the long run.

Been waiting for my dryer to die - it will be getting replaced with a Speed Queen as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes and its annoying

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:26:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Still using my Whirlpool top loader I bought new in 2003. Not sure why everything sucks today. I had to replace an inexpensive part last year when it wasn't filling up properly. I almost scrapped it then instead of buying a $28 part and for no other reason than the wife wanted a new fancy one that's super quiet. The repair/parts shop owner told me "you'd be an idiot to get rid of that washer!"
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:01:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's not exclusive to appliances..
View Quote

This right here. I’m tired of everything being an over priced piece of shit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:00:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Our six year old Whirlpool Cabrio washer started leaking earlier this year. Repair guy said it was a main seal between the motor and drum, and that you have to replace the motor and drum together as a unit for about $350. We ended up replacing it because...it's six years old. We know the other parts are likely to start going.

We have an older style dryer; I'm ordering parts to fix it and plan to keep it as long as possible.  It's dead simple, no electronics other than the timing switch.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:43:42 AM EDT
[#37]
A lot of these problems with electronics will be mitigated with a quality whole house surge suppression unit.

Expect to pay a couple hundred on up for quality.  The cheap ones are worthless.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:57:35 AM EDT
[#38]
6 year old Stacked full size kenmore laundry center.
5th service call in 4 months. repeated issue.
4 different techs
last guy says he has NO IDEA why it does what it does. Says the unit needs to be replaced.
We have a home warranty due to 20 plus yr old appliances in a modular home.
Warranty company actually agreed and pays us $860 to replace washer..

probably cancel the insurance policy next.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#39]
When i bought my house 11 years ago i was stuffing whatever appliances we could afford into it. Including a maytag centennial top loader and electric dryer. They do several loads per week without issues since then.   Speed queen if they shit the bed beyond what i can repair. 800 for the set. Grabbed a 26cf samsung side x side fridge for 800 then. It is still huming along perfectly fine.
Very basic washer and dryer
I like it that way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Appliances seem to be made as disposable items these days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Every time our 25 year old Whirlpool breaks down, the wife says we need a new one. Then I fix something simple in it and life goes on.
View Quote

Yep,  ours lost one of the pins on that retarded coupler under the drum a few years ago,  I think the part was $6.

Our washer and dryer are the ugliest things in the whole house but they work well and I know better than to replace them with modern ones.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Planned obsolescence is real. Companies can make producst that last a long time but it doesn't pay. What pays is making products that won't last a long time so consumers have to buy another one. Cha-ching! $$$
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There are two kinds of Whirlpool appliance.

Less expensive junk and more expensive junk.

Whirlpool is absolute garbage.
View Quote

All I've ever had is Whirlpool. They last 15 years on average before any issues.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#44]
After fixing, and fixing, and fixing our Whirlpool washing machine, I trashed it and bought a cheap set. When something eventually goes wrong, I will trash it and buy another cheap set. I'm finished working on this junk and cleaning up water that leaked out due to a bad seal it whatever. No more. Break down and it will be gone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#45]
My sister and I fight over who is going to inherit the dryer my parents got as a wedding present in 1978. I'm on my 3rd, so is my sister. Parent's is still going.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm just thrilled when something even works out of the box anymore.

It's getting tiring buying stuff, just to fix it before one can even use it anymore. It's like everything comes pre-broken from the factory.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Speed queens
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#48]
My first dryer, when I went to college, was given to me by my aunt. It was a whirlpool from the late 70’s. I used it all through college, and it moved with me through four moves. It finally gave out in 2015. (I shoulda checked the warranty lol) it didn’t owe us anything at that point. They definitely don’t build them like that anymore, and with the increasing “smartness” of appliances, plan for built in obsolescence to be even faster than before!
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#49]
15 ish year old bosh set chugging along. Logic boards are dirt simple. No giant LCD displays. They've needed Maintainace here and there but a pump, dampers, and a blower wheel is way better than $1600 for replacements that will be lower quality. The modern machines are also so hobbled by epa efficiency standards they don't seem to clean worth anything. Stayed at freinds cabin and the LG there was so stingy with the rinse water clothes would come out soapy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Well GE sold there appliance division to China cheap in exchange for contracts manufacturing the power plants for the dams. They told other companies how great it was going to work out for them and trust China. Then after a few years those orders ended suddenly.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top