Page / 18
Posted: 7/30/2019 1:57:52 PM EDT
Anything 40k related post it here
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
For the Emperor, and for Dorn!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Blood for the blood God, skulls for the skull throne!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Heretics need not apply
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT

(Finished an Iron Warrior book last weekend)
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#6]
We march for Macragge!
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crazytuco] [#7]
Praise be to the Omnissiah.

ETA: it’s probably worth noting that there is a 40k thread in GD that is approaching its second birthday.

Here
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Haven't played in years.
Still have my Tyranids, Dark Eldar and SOB armies.

Pretty sure i still have inquisitor models and BFG  stuff too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrozenWinter:
Haven't played in years.
Still have my Tyranids, Dark Eldar and SOB armies.

Pretty sure i still have inquisitor models and BFG  stuff too.
View Quote
Well, in the next few months you may want to bust out those Sisters.  A new codex is incoming, with a full model range to support it.

I’d also add that 8th edition is pretty good.  It takes some heat online in gaming forums, but a lot of the people bitching about it are I think guys who don’t play very often and just read about tournament lists online.  I’m a casual player with a regular group who all meet every other month or so, and usually also set up about one weekend a year where we rent a house and all meet up.  8th works fine for us.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
Heretics need not apply
View Quote
^^^

Shove that blood right up your Blood God's arse!
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#11]

I just finished up these, right before I got sick and ended up on a ventilator. Still trying to regain the use of my right arm and hand so I can finish the rest of them
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#12]
For The Emperor and Sanguinius!
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dog1:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9749/20181228_193718-788369.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9749/20181228_193722-788368.jpg

I just finished up these, right before I got sick and ended up on a ventilator. Still trying to regain the use of my right arm and hand so I can finish the rest of them
View Quote
Dang, what happened
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By geoint:

Dang, what happened
View Quote
To the pictures or what happened to me? Apparently I accidentally deleted the pictures the other day when I was deleting a bunch of stuff out of my media file here
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I built this guy from parts and painted him up over last weekend.  Kitbashing and modding the miniatures is probably the part of this hobby I enjoy the most.  I'll run him as a "counts as" Hellforged Leviathan Dreadnought in my dark mechanicus-themed World Eaters.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 2:12:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By crazytuco:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3369_JPG-1169953.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3370_JPG-1169955.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3371_JPG-1169957.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3372_JPG-1169960.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3373_JPG-1169961.JPG

I built this guy from parts and painted him up over last weekend.  Kitbashing and modding the miniatures is probably the part of this hobby I enjoy the most.  I'll run him as a "counts as" Hellforged Leviathan Dreadnought in my dark mechanicus-themed World Eaters.
View Quote
WOW!

That's beautiful work man!
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 7:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#17]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3369_JPG-1169953.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3370_JPG-1169955.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3371_JPG-1169957.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3372_JPG-1169960.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77051/IMG_3373_JPG-1169961.JPG

View Quote
@crazytuco

Can you do a tutorial? I've always wanted to try my hand at some models but I'm intimidated by the painting...

What else have you done?
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, thank you for the kind words.  I look at it and see all kinds of mistakes and lazy shortcuts.  I have some other stuff I'm hoping to have finished up over the weekend if I can get the time.

As far as a tutorial, there are lots of people online who do way better painting than me.  I use some shortcuts derived entirely from a combination of laziness and an overall glacial painting pace.  I typically go in bursts.  I'll paint for a couple hours in a week spread over evenings and weekends.  This will go on for a month or two, then I'll probably not pick up a brush for 3-6 months.  It's basically just how things go here as far as spare time.  I've got kids in high school who don't hate my guts, a wife I like to spend time with, I'm self-employed, and I own a house.  Solitary play time (sounds like jerking off, but it's not) is not too common, and as you can probably tell from the name of the website I'm posting on here, I have other hobbies than just smashing little plastic men into each other on a table.

Most of my painting time right now is going toward putting together terrain for five rather large tables that will be used for a weekend my brother and I and several friends have been taking every winter for the past several years.  We rent a house and play 40k for two or three days.

If you have a desire to give it a whirl, buy some minis.  Go to a craft store and buy some brushes.  You don't need the super small, fly-dick-sized brushes.  About 90% of that mini was done with a 0 or 1 sized (sorry, don't remember and the area where the number should be has paint on it) flat brush, not a point.  Also, you don't need to spend a shit ton of money on brushes at this point.  You certainly don't need to go to GW's website and drop $200 on a brush set when you can get everything you'll need for a hundred hours of painting at a craft store for less than $20.  The best way to learn is to get at it.  Everyone who paints has preferences for paint brands.  I use GW's house brand, because I know what colors I'm using and have been using in my armies (I still, after 30 years messing around off and on with this hobby, do not have a fully painted army).  But my early stuff from when I was in late high school was done with cheap craft store paint.  It looks like shit now, but I bet I could do okay if I tried again since a lot of that was just poor technique.

Most of what you see on that mini is drybrushed* up from a black undercoat.  There are multiple techniques, most people use a mix on stuff, I tend to stick with drybrushing because it gives me a fairly quick way to paint up a mini (that one in the picture is probably less than five hours total, including drying time), and it gives a sort of dirty look that I like.  The grim darkness of the far future being bright and crisp doesn't make sense to me.

I'll try to post up some other stuff throughout the next five days or so as time allows.

*Drybrushing is a technique where you get some paint on the brush, then you wipe most of the paint off (I use paper towels for this for several different reasons).  Then you lightly drag the brush over the area you want to paint with that color.  The pigments left on the brush catch on the high areas.  You pick a color and work your way up to lighter shades of that color.  With each step of a lighter shade, you leave less of the paint on the brush.  It's a fairly wasteful way to paint, as you leave more paint on the paper towels than winds up on the miniatures.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deny_Everything] [#19]
1. I thought we had one of these.

2 knowledge is power...guard it well.

3. Repent! For tomorrow you die!
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 2:36:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Deny_Everything:
1. I thought we had one of these.

2 knowledge is power...guard it well.

3. Repent! For tomorrow you die!
View Quote
There was a thread in GD that was quite a few pages, but no one had posted in it for over a month and it got archived.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#21]
@crazytuco

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I look forward to seeing more of your work...

Do you use any type of magnifying glass to see better?
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread interests me, I will be GMing a dark heresy game this week end
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
@crazytuco

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I look forward to seeing more of your work...

Do you use any type of magnifying glass to see better?
View Quote
No, I really don't.  I have shit vision for distance, but up close I see pretty well.  I'm well into my 40s these days, so that may change in time.  But for now I really don't have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:
View Quote
I was heavily invested in 1st Ed and have all the sourcebooks for DH and most of the books for the rogue trader, space marine, imperial guard, and chaos RPGs as well.  My copy of Dark Heresy and Inquisitor's Handbook are first printings from the Black Library subsidy before FFG took over.  I ran one series of adventures that ended with a firefight in the bowels of the reactor of a Rogue Trader ship.  For the final battle I set up a bunch of old Necromunda terrain I had and made up minis for all the NPCs as well as the player's characters.  We fought it out using the rules for the RPG and just made some slight modifications for measuring distances.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm currently reading Horus Heresy and I have Gaunt's Ghost Omnibus on the way. I'm new to the 40K universe.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#26]
If you haven't picked them up, I'd recommend Abnett's first three Eisenhorn books.  They're the best 40k novels in my opinion.  The HH series is very uneven.  A few of the books are great, a few are flat out turds, and most are alright.  It also gets so huge and sprawling that you just about need a venn diagram of venn diagrams to keep track.  I've only read four or five of the GG books.  Those are all fun, consistently so.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I was heavily invested in 1st Ed and have all the sourcebooks for DH and most of the books for the rogue trader, space marine, imperial guard, and chaos RPGs as well.  My copy of Dark Heresy and Inquisitor's Handbook are first printings from the Black Library subsidy before FFG took over.  I ran one series of adventures that ended with a firefight in the bowels of the reactor of a Rogue Trader ship.  For the final battle I set up a bunch of old Necromunda terrain I had and made up minis for all the NPCs as well as the player's characters.  We fought it out using the rules for the RPG and just made some slight modifications for measuring distances.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:
Nice, I love the art in the FFG books, I was thinking about playing the new W&G game but, I'm pretty well versed on FFG system so we went with that. My group of friends and I have played some Rouge Trader, and Only war in the past kinda off and on.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm currently reading Horus Heresy and I have Gaunt's Ghost Omnibus on the way. I'm new to the 40K universe.
View Quote
I only read the first 2 GG omnibuses.  First was great, second was good but losing steam.  Havent bought the third one yet.

I'm only 2 books into the HH but humblebundle had like $620 worth of audio files for $18 for the last few days.  I bought it but havent downloaded the files yet as I'm gonna buy a new device specifically for audio files
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#29]
This one I'll be running as a Chaos Decimator.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#30]
And this one will play the part of a Daemon Prince with wings.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 1:54:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2T2_Crash] [#31]
shit, the original got archived

Kharn, ready to slay friend or foe
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Working on some Havocs too
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 3:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crazytuco] [#32]
That Kharn looks damn good.  I have one assembled and in The Eternal Queue where all my assembled minis sit and wait in an interminable hell on the off chance they’ll get painted.  Have you run him in many games?
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 3:43:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2T2_Crash] [#33]
I have not... I've played exactly one game.

I'm going again tomorrow night, I'm still learning how to play.

That Kharn took me at least 10 hours of painting. I want to spray a protective clear coat on him but when i tested the stuff i bought on a standard Chaos Marine it came out glossy, not the look I was after or established.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 11:36:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#34]
Awesome. Is that a bulldozer blade as a shield?

I'm currently trying my hand at an Imperial Guard Chimera, it's the first model I've attempted in 30 years. Hopefully it turns out...
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 12:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crazytuco] [#35]

Awesome. Is that a bulldozer blade as a shield?

I'm currently trying my hand at an Imperial Guard Chimera, it's the first model I've attempted in 30 years. Hopefully it turns out...
View Quote
Yeah, that's a dozer blade.  It came in a vehicle upgrade sprue from I don't know when.  It's been in my bits for probably more than a decade.  As you can see my photo skills are basically professional level in both lighting and composition, so I'm surprised you had to ask.  I'm expecting GW's miniatures studio to knock on my door any day now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm sure they will....
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Shit we should do a Bits swap thread. I need chain axes and other small shit, I got stuff from Warp Talons and a few others.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#38]
What kind of tiny brushes do you guys use for the detail work?
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#39]
What kind of tiny brushes do you guys use for the detail work?
View Quote
I use Tamiya brushes mostly, for fine detail I have a Tamiya 5/0 long bristle, a Princeton velvetouch 5/0 spotter tip brush and also a Princeton Summit 3/0 round tip brush.

the tamiya holds the paint the best but the tip isnt that pronounced point I like for eyes and extremely small details.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:
Shit we should do a Bits swap thread. I need chain axes and other small shit, I got stuff from Warp Talons and a few others.
View Quote
This is going to sound like confession time at an encounter group, but I have three 18-gallon Rubbermaid tubs full of bits and sprues.  Some of it goes clear back to the plastic GW skeletons of the late-80's.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Here's my first attempt at a model since I was a kid. I made several mistakes but I had fun doing it. I only had 2 colors of paint to use.
I'm going to get some more supplies and try again...

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Forgot to mention it's an Imperial Guard Chimera:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196752/chimera_2_jpg-1183251.JPG
View Quote
looks good, if you want to dirty it up go with a wash all over (Nuln Oil citadel shade is a great no-thought option), that and do a silver dry brushing on raised edges like on the guns.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#44]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196752/chimera_2_jpg-1183251.JPG
View Quote
Excellent work with the transfers.  When I do it they turn out looking like a blind kindergartner did them.  They look nice and straight and centered on the panels.  I usually feel good if I manage to get them right side up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 7:20:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#45]
Thanks. I have a paint kit coming from Amazon. I'm a little intimidated to try painting faces and other small details.

Is dry brushing where you wipe most of the paint off the brush first?
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks. I have a paint kit coming from Amazon. I'm a little intimidated to try painting faces and other small details.

Is dry brushing where you wipe most of the paint off the brush first?
View Quote
Yes that’s dry brushing. Citadel actually has an app out called citadel Colour, it has lots of videos with tips, tricks and various painting and detail methods
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:

Yes that’s dry brushing. Citadel actually has an app out called citadel Colour, it has lots of videos with tips, tricks and various painting and detail methods
View Quote
Yep, totally free.  Links to all their YouTube videos in a way that usually easier to find specific videos than digging through their channel page in YouTube.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Nice!

also, I kinda fucked myself last weekend. I took my 14 year old son to play with me and now he's hooked. He wants a Necron army.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Warhammer 40k Thread (Page 1 of 18)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top