Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2018 9:37:19 PM EDT
Have some serious sensitivity issues on my face. I mean I get full on acne flare ups if my shave job is rough. Super thick hair that twists and turns. Haven't used anything but cartridge or disposable multi-blade razors yet, so I'm looking into safety razors to see if they do better for me.

So, that said, what's a good safety razor for ~$40? Would prefer USA made but if that's not possible I'd at least prefer something not made in China. I'm ignorant on if there's big differences between razors or not, so if there's stuff I should watch for please let me know. For blades I was going to grab one of those big sample packs and try them all, see what works best for me. Seems like the typically recommended approach.

Also, do you guys like Arko shave cream sticks? Haven't used anything but goo-in-a-can (Gillette Regular). The Arko stuff is cheap and seems to get pretty rave reviews. Just wanted to try something else, see if switching creams would make a difference.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a  Merkur. It is well balanced and was pretty close to your price. I use the green tubes of shave cream from Bath and Body which is repackaged Poraso (check that spelling)
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Been there done that on the safety razor scene. Not into it. Cheap double blade disposable is better and cheaper for me...

Although I can say that the best shave ever is in a hot shower using hair conditioner for shave cream. That shit makes your skin so soft and smooth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Merkur, and I like Astra blades.

Go really easy the first week or two, and use your regular shaving cream. It's pretty easy to turn your sink into a scene from the Saw movies.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a vintage 1953 Gillette Super Speed with Feather blades.  It's not an aggressive razor and should not bother your face too much.  I also have a Mekur.  It's ok but is more aggressive and will irritate my face.

I usually shave after a shower when my beard is soft.  If I'm in a hurry I'll use Barbasol shaving cream and do a single pass shave, with the grain.  If I want to enjoy the shave I'll use Proraso shaving soap and a brush.  Then do a two pass shave, with the grain, lather up again then against the grain.

I also found out I can not use aftershave.  My face will break out and get a rash.  Some aftershave lotions work good and sooth my face after a shave.  Basically you have to experiment a little to find what works best.  Razor blades shave different.  I bought a sample variety pack from Amazon to find what I liked.

I prefer the vintage razors and have a small collection.  Most I have found on ebay.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been there done that on the safety razor scene. Not into it. Cheap double blade disposable is better and cheaper for me...

Although I can say that the best shave ever is in a hot shower using hair conditioner for shave cream. That shit makes your skin so soft and smooth.
View Quote
Or  medium thickness skin lotion can work fine. Doesn’t dry the skin like soaps as you might imagine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the Edwin Jagger and love it. Its very affordable and feels great.

Amazon Product
  • Unique design from the original designers of the DE8 Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor range, offers a very close, comfortable shave, with very low cost blade replacement it saves you money every day
  • Comfortable weight and balance for accurate, close shaving. This is an ideal razor, with a blade angle perfectly suited for both new and experienced Double Edge wet shavers
  • Smart chrome handle with precise lined patterning for improved wet grip and the Edwin Jagger name embossed into the chrome plated collar, a guarantee of authenticity

Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Oops, forgot we have an actual shaving sub-forum, sorry.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use a vintage 1953 Gillette Super Speed with Feather blades.  It's not an aggressive razor and should not bother your face too much.  I also have a Mekur.  It's ok but is more aggressive and will irritate my face.

I usually shave after a shower when my beard is soft.  If I'm in a hurry I'll use Barbasol shaving cream and do a single pass shave, with the grain.  If I want to enjoy the shave I'll use Proraso shaving soap and a brush.  Then do a two pass shave, with the grain, lather up again then against the grain.

I also found out I can not use aftershave.  My face will break out and get a rash.  Some aftershave lotions work good and sooth my face after a shave.  Basically you have to experiment a little to find what works best.  Razor blades shave different.  I bought a sample variety pack from Amazon to find what I liked.

I prefer the vintage razors and have a small collection.  Most I have found on ebay.
View Quote
What do you mean by "aggressive razor"? Do safety razors have slightly varying shave angles from brand to brand or...?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I just went to the drug store and bought the one they had. Takes a few more strokes, but I love that it can't clog and I'm not buying $$$$ blades all the time.

Mine's a MicroTouch.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What do you mean by "aggressive razor"? Do safety razors have slightly varying shave angles from brand to brand or...?
View Quote
Not so much the shave angle but the distance or gap from the blade to the guard.  The wider, the more aggressive the shave.  Which means it is easier to cut or nick yourself.

I suggest you check out the Badger and Blade forums.  Lots of good information on shaving.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Merkur, and I like Astra blades.

Go really easy the first week or two, and use your regular shaving cream. It's pretty easy to turn your sink into a scene from the Saw movies.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
You asked what to get....

Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I use a Merkur 23c with astra blades.  I think I prefer the feather blades, but I have a couple years worth of Astra.  I use Taylor of Old Bond Street cream and a badger brush.  Makes for a good shave.   West Coast Shaving is apretty good online site.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:59:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Merkur razors great German razors. I have one for the safety razor. A little pricey yet worth the price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#16]
If you absolutely must try a safety razor, and I recommend you do, Edwin Jagger. They're not too spendy and supposedly give a milder shave than Merkur.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Mercur razor with Porasso shaving cream.  I used to use Feather blades, but I found Astra more forgiving.  And, practice...a lot.  Invest in an Alum block for nicks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#18]
When I'm in a rush, and don't have the time to use my straight.. (was my great grandfathers)..my go to has been a Gillette Slim Adjustable...they can be found on Ebay... I picked mine up at an antique shop for $5. That was about 15 years ago...but certainly can be found <$40.
The Merkur's are GTG as well. I'm also a fan of the feather blades. I don't know how the new version adjustable DE's are compared to the vintage ones...I would think that today's machining would make a comparable razor.
As stated...Badger and Blade forum is a great resource...check out the for sale section...they sell DE's all the time.
As far as shaving cream/soap.... I use Mitchells Wool Fat. Lot of people like Proraso (I've never used it). The B&B does have people that sell shaving soap.... I do like the sandalwood from TOBS...
Taylor Old Bond Street Sandalwood

Here's a Gillette on Ebay...Slim Adjustable
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought a Van der Haagen-Das razor as an inexpensive way into this style of shaving. I really like the handle, but the blades leave a lot to be desired. Upgrading to better blades will help a lot, since I only shave twice a week and don’t want/need to spend a lot of $$.

The learning curve for me has to do with taking my time, more than anything. I’m used to being able to shave in under 5 minutes with a Gillette Fusion. Attempting to do the same with a safety razor is a good way to carve up my face in a hurry. I’m getting better and don’t need my styptic pencil anymore.

Safety razor shaving is a helluva lot more precise and close than the big multi-blades, that’s for damn sure.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
The Edwin Jaggers, Muhle R89 and the Merkurs are all good razors to start with.

Badger and Blade, The Shave Den and The Shave Nook are good forums if you want good information about certain items.

If you are looking for products Maggards Razors, Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, BullGoose Shaving Supplies, Connaught Shaving, Shaving.ie and of course Amazon & Ebay are all good places to look.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Another comment while I'm thinking of it.  I've bought a couple modern safety razors with smooth handles.  Hard to hang onto when your hands are wet.  A knurled handle of some sort is easier to maneuver around your face.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Edwin Jagger DE89L or Merkur 34C are great beginner razors. I have both. Slight nod to the DE89L. My old man even likes the one I gave him as a gift.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd argue the actual razor is less important than the blade and the soap you use.

I've had great shaves using the same razor combo with the right soap, and very bad shaves with other soap.

Virtually any closed comb razor head will work, as long as the soap provides enough lubrication to allow it to glide, and you have a good blade.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd argue the actual razor is less important than the blade and the soap you use.

I've had great shaves using the same razor combo with the right soap, and very bad shaves with other soap.

Virtually any closed comb razor head will work, as long as the soap provides enough lubrication to allow it to glide, and you have a good blade.
View Quote
I agree with your statement about the right soap.  I've tried many soaps over the years and some are much slicker than others.  I've used soaps that after the shave I nicked my face many times.  Some of the slickest soaps I've used are: Mikes Natural Soaps, Caties Bubbles, RazorRock, and Stirling Soaps.  Some soaps have irritated my skin so you may have to try a few different soaps to find the right ones for your skin.

As for razors, its hard to beat the Merkur 34C for someone starting out wet shaving.  Its a gentle razor and its my go to razor.  I think the Merkur 34C is made in Germany, but I'm not for sure.  The price range is about $40.00 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's different angles at the head, differing blade gap, the weight of the razor, the length of it's handle, and who knows what else.  

You also don't want it too gentle either, then you fuck yourself all up taking multiple swipes.

I personally like the open comb razors and arko soap.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do not discount the glory of an open comb.  They're smooth and they'll hack through a week's growth without batting an eye.  They only LOOK like potato peelers.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 2:25:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Are there modern open comb razors available?
If they are what approximate price ranges?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are there modern open comb razors available?
If they are what approximate price ranges?
View Quote
A quick Google search says yes, with the Merkur 15C being around $30. Just one example I saw.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, saw this thread pop up again and thought of one other comment.

I use a Muhle R89 and feather blades, not anything exotic but a decently solid choice.

I’ve been shaving for a few years now and always got little nicks when the blade was brand new, it would go away after a few shaves. I also have somewhat sensitive skin, and with the nicks and irritation on my neck I wouldn’t like to shave more than once every couple of days (although I could justify shaving every day).

I finally tried stropping my blade with a leather strop and I now consistently get a great shave with zero skin irritation.  I tried a lot of different things, varying pressure and angle, different soaps, shaving different directions, and nothing would get rid of a little skin irritation and a few nicks.  I figure the blades, even though they are sharp and well made (as much as a 10 cent blade can be) they all had little tiny burrs that would catch my skin.  I haven’t actually taken a loupe to the edge to see if any difference is there but the change in quality of my shave before and after is so drastic I can’t imagine the blades didn’t have burrs or rolled edges from the factory.

Give it a try if you’re still having trouble.  It takes all of a minute and my blades last at least a week.  With good soap I can now shave every day of the week and have almost no irritation at all.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#30]
also your water will effect the lather you get, after I moved to a different water district my previous soap I liked a lot quit lathering as nice and I had to find a different soap. I liked astra blades when learning, you will find that it takes almost zero pressure and that took some getting used to for me. once you get the hang of it try feather blades. they are the sharpest and the best out there in many peoples opinion. a little pricey but not too bad. I get about 3-4 shaves before I notice the blades getting a little duller, but they are cheaper and I shave less with the closer shaves. I have a merkur 30C long handle and I'm pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Edwin Jagger DE89L.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I would look for a Gillette super speed my year of birth. You can find them all over for 5 too 20 bucks. And get a sample pack of double edge razors and try them, Feather are super sharp and aggressive, Derby and shark very good for the money.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a 1958 Gillette Fat Boy that I love.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Edwin Jaggers, Muhle R89 and the Merkurs are all good razors to start with.

Badger and Blade, The Shave Den and The Shave Nook are good forums if you want good information about certain items.

If you are looking for products Maggards Razors, Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, BullGoose Shaving Supplies, Connaught Shaving, Shaving.ie and of course Amazon & Ebay are all good places to look.
View Quote
What he said.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I have this one. it's better than my old gillete slim adjustable

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a 34C and then I bought a maggard open comb to try. The 34C was much better than the open comb. I then bought a slant head from maggard about a year ago. I have yet to use my other razors in a year.

The slant head seems to make junky blades cut like high dollar blades. The only difference I can tell now is that a cheap blade will last me 4-6 shaves when a more expensive blade will get me 8-10.

link to slant head @ $19.00

Link to Maggard handle @ $14.00

Combo deal for $30.00
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#37]

A buddy gave me one of these, a Gem 1912 single-blade razor and a pack of Treet blades. It’s by far my favorite razor, and I like it better than the Van Der Hagen with upgraded blades, also from my friend. The 1912 gives a clean, precise shave, just don’t get in a hurry with it.

If you look around, they can be found relatively cheap. My friend looks for old razors in antique/nick-nack shops and flea markets. He said that he gave $6 for mine, and that included blades.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#38]
@astrocreep96

How do you stop a safety razor blade?  In the razor? Just hold the bare blade?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@astrocreep96

How do you stop a safety razor blade?  In the razor? Just hold the bare blade?
View Quote
I have a strop from stropman, I hold the bare razor in the middle and strop each side about 10 times with a fine rouge.  Do that for each side of each sharpened edge, don’t push very hard if at all down on the leather.  I used the medium rouge once and it seemed too rough, it actually made the blade a little worse.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#40]
If you’ve got sensitive skin, I’d suggest a more aggressive razor.

With a medium-sharp blade. I also have sensitive skin and i use Merkur 37c (heavy handle slant bar)

With Gillette blues/yellows, Super iridium, or Rapira Plat Lux blades. I’d suggest you get a sampler pack of though as every face is different.

I’ve got several vintage Gillete razors but I use the Merkur most of the time as it gives me a great shave in 1-2 passes. And that means less scraping on the face which means less irritation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Soap brush. I love the RazoRock synthetic, it feels great for only $10. It’s close enough to my $60-100 brushes, that I was blown away.

https://www.italianbarber.com/collections/brushes/products/razorock-plissoft-synthetic-shaving-brush

Soaps that I like.

Taylor of Old Bond St
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Pre de Provence 63
Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife
Lea Classic (cream only)
L’Occitan
Cella
Valobra
Saponificio Varesino
DR Harris
Klar
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#42]
As has already been said, the blade and cream are key, since they directly contact your skin. I have a super tough, bristly beard. Breakouts are an issue.

Derby & Merkur are ok blades and last longer. Feather brand is the sharpest and I save them for my Sunday shave.

Have spent silly amounts on creme but found none are better than Cremo brand, which sells for $7 at Walmart or Walgreens.

Holders: pre-war Gillette and an adjustable Gillette fat boy. Both have good weight but The prewar shaves better under my nose due to thinner profile.  Merkur is trustworthy also.

Nivea aftershave lotion is fantastic but once in awhile I like a splash of bay rum.

Perfect Shave website gives great training on how to use cutting tools on your face.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I've tried several different blades in my Merkur 34C . Most have been fine but I prefer Feathers, maybe because the 34 is a mild razor. I don't get the doom and gloom stories about needing bandages, blood flying everywhere, etc. I have nicked myself one time on the underside of a nostril, and that was from trying an odd angle to get into the crease under my nose.
One item that I think is great to have is an Alum block. I can get a bit of razor burn on my neck but the block eliminates that nicely.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As has already been said, the blade and cream are key, since they directly contact your skin. I have a super tough, bristly beard. Breakouts are an issue.

Derby & Merkur are ok blades and last longer. Feather brand is the sharpest and I save them for my Sunday shave.

Have spent silly amounts on creme but found none are better than Cremo brand, which sells for $7 at Walmart or Walgreens.

Holders: pre-war Gillette and an adjustable Gillette fat boy. Both have good weight but The prewar shaves better under my nose due to thinner profile.  Merkur is trustworthy also.

Nivea aftershave lotion is fantastic but once in awhile I like a splash of bay rum.

Perfect Shave website gives great training on how to use cutting tools on your face.
View Quote
@reconnaisanceman

What cream's did you buy?
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Edwin Jagger DE89L and Merkur 34C are good, high-quality entry-level razors. Can be found for $40 or less. I have two DE89Ls and one 34C.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Edwin Jagger DE89L and Merkur 34C are good, high-quality entry-level razors. Can be found for $40 or less. I have two DE89Ls and one 34C.
View Quote
this.  I use a Muhle R89, which is the same as the Edwin Jagger.  love it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Go to some flea markets before seasons end !!! Found all my DE razors at dirt cheap prices there. Just picked up a Gillette Black Beauty this past weekend for $5 and am in the process of cleaning her up. I'd go with one of the adjustable razors like the Gillette Fatboy or Black Beauty so you can select your level of sensitivity Picked up the Fatboy for $10 in the original box also at a flea market.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Personna DE blades give a very smooth, close shave for me. The only thing I don’t like is that they get dull faster than some of the other blades in the ‘grab bag’ of blades a friend gave me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#49]
If any of y’all are like me and had a lot of difficulty in the beginning figuring which blades you wanted. This site should be very helpful.

This guy tests the sharpness of DE blades. I was very surprised to find out that all the blades I like are very close together on his sharpness scale (mid 40s). And the blades I despise are all duller than 50 on the first shave.

Also, there’s actually 2 blades that average sharper than Feathers over 3 shaves. And a common complaint you’ll hear about Feathers is that they get noticeably less sharp after the first shave, which was my opinion as well, turns out that’s actually true. 32-40-40 (lower number the better btw if that wasn’t already obvious). Only one other blade actually gets less sharp like Feather and it’s a cheap piece of Paki shit.

Sorry buncha nerdy shit above, but I found it interesting to compare the subjective thoughts myself and others have shared actually turn out to be true.

And it gives you a baseline on a recommendation. If some dude likes Feathers (32-40-40) and recommends a Bic Chrome Platinum (40-33-32) for example but your favorite blade at the moment is Gillette 7 O’clock yellows 46-43-42 you probably shouldn’t follow his blade recommendations.

Anywho here’s the link https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary/
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Go to some flea markets before seasons end !!! Found all my DE razors at dirt cheap prices there. Just picked up a Gillette Black Beauty this past weekend for $5 and am in the process of cleaning her up. I'd go with one of the adjustable razors like the Gillette Fatboy or Black Beauty so you can select your level of sensitivity Picked up the Fatboy for $10 in the original box also at a flea market.
View Quote
@19Cohiba75

If you find another mint Fatboy for that price I’d gladly take it off your hands for $20 & cover shipping. Fuckin retarded ass contractor clean up crew threw away hundreds of fuckin dollars worth of my shave gear after the fire including mother fuckin metal razors. I had three but I’ve only got the one left now. God damn retards.

On the flip side my collection of shit was getting ridiculous. And I didn’t even end up using a bunch of crap I had and it’s covered by insurance so not a real loss I suppose.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top