Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2018 1:48:14 PM EDT
Some advice I've read is to get a decent Transmitter that has programmable profiles for planes and helicopters and a panic button.  Then get a trainer helicopter that you can bind to the radio.

I was really into RC electric car racing and nitro RC planes back in the 80's but have been out of it ever since.  I don't know the quality manufacturers any longer.  I've never flown an RC copter either.

Budget not more than $500.00.

For the curious I raced Tamiya Frog, Bigfoot, Road Wizard, Team Associated RC12, Bolink Invader, Yokomo SE, Kyosho Ultima on scratch built chassis.  Still have all the old gear in a big box at my folks house.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
On choppers better budget $500 for spare parts alone.  Spektrum makes many models
of transmitters in your budget.  Most have lots of model memory and servo adjustment/mixing etc.

Edit:  I use to favor Futaba but I found the Spektrum radios to be more user friendly.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want bind and fly helis and a panic button Spektrum is pretty much the only option.  Many of the flybarless controllers will support "bailout".  It depends what you expect from it, it will only save you so much.

Hands down the best way to learn to fly helis is on a sim.  Then move up to something like an XK110 heli that is close to indestructible.  Either you will love it or hate it.

These days radios are either Spektrum, Futaba or Frsky/Taranis.  Spektrum best (only) bet if you want BNF.  Nothing wrong with Futaba, but but so help me if I never have to setup another helicopter with them it will be too soon.

I am flying a FrSky Taranis and Q7, with a Spektrum module for BNF stuff.  Some say the programing is  too difficult, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
What happened to Airtronics?  I have several of their pistol wheel transmitters 1986 vintage.

I've kinda reached the same conclusion that a Spektrum radio is the way to go.  Also it is compatible with the Realflight sim which I think will be worth the $99.00 since it has been 22-yrs since I last flew an RC model.

And holy crap have the electric RC cars come a long way.  I remember back in the late 80's in my Radio Control Car Action magazine they were all crazy about an RC car going 70+ mph on an oval track somewhere in Central Florida.  Now it seems even the mid-entry level cars can easily achieve this speed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe Airtronics went with frequency boards.  Into the sunset.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What happened to Airtronics?  I have several of their pistol wheel transmitters 1986 vintage.

I've kinda reached the same conclusion that a Spektrum radio is the way to go.  Also it is compatible with the Realflight sim which I think will be worth the $99.00 since it has been 22-yrs since I last flew an RC model.

And holy crap have the electric RC cars come along way.  I remember back in the late 80's in my Radio Control Car Action magazine they were all crazy about an RC car going 70+ mph on an oval track somewhere in Central Florida.  Now it seems even the mid-entry level cars can easily achieve this speed.
View Quote
Airtronics disappeared a few years ago.  They hung on strong with the sailplane crowd for a while.  Maybe they waited too long to get rid of their wiring standard.  

JR has also disappeared and this pains me greatly.

Depending on the RF version you have, it will probably suit you just fine learning to fly helis.

Best advice I can give about transmitters is find a hobby shop and try a few.  I have a few Spektrums plus a module as I was a JR guy for years.  I have never liked their radios.  I don't like the feel of the radio or the gimbals, but there is no arguing they are popular.  It was a sad, sad day when my 9303 died, but the Taranis case is very similar and seems to work well enough.  The software learning curve was a little steep, but it is awesome once you figure it out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is the deal op.... If you truly want to fly heli's do the below.

1) Sim RF I believe comes with a controller. I used the Phoenix sim which has an adapter for the Spektrum/JR radios.

2) Get a Blade (Horizon Hobbies) coaxial heli to fly in the house while you practice on the sim. (stock up on blades) Blade Coaxial Link

3) Get another blade this time its a fixed pitch heli. This is the next step to flying a collective pitch. If you are doing well and still enjoying flying its time to look at getting a better radio. I suggest sticking with Spektrum here. You should be looking at a DX6i or DX9 depending on budget Link to Blade Fixed Pitch

4) Time to step up to collective pitch this is the end goal. Stick with the blade micro heli's once again. They are cheap, durable, with great parts support. Here is the link to the Blade CP. Link to Blade CP

5) When you can fly that little bastard its time to hit the big leagues. Here you want to look at a 450 and bigger size. I recommend going strait to a 500 class heli. There are many options out there one of the most popular brands is Align with great support. Here is where it really gets expensive. There is very little room for error with the bigger heli's you fuck up you are rebuilding.

The reason to stick with Spektrum is once you get a better radio you can still fly all the previous models you have purchased, all future models you purchase, plus all the bind and fly models in the Horizon Hobbies stable. (they have the biggest and best stable for aircraft)

The hobby is a ton of fun and can consume hours of your time. It takes a while to become proficient at flying, however, if you don't mind the work involved it's quite rewarding.

I should add: Head on over to Helifreak.com its the ARFCOM of heli's. There are tons of start to finish builds to help with your first build. This is also a great place to secure used heli's, radios, and gear.

This is also a good time to say get an airplane its much more relaxing to fly.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:03:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Build a racing drone.

They can 3D as well and survive impacts with obstacles about a 100x better than any helicopter.

Experimental 3D kwad with 2 flight cams
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Start with a Simulator

It will save you a ton of money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top