Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1686
Posted: 4/6/2020 1:38:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Osprey61]
Bored, and want to live dangerously?

Company I've been in for 14 years is in it's death throes...got pounded by the 'Rona. They own a wall of patents on MEMS laser projection and LIDAR, and just signed an agreement with MSFT last week to transfer manufacture of the light engine in Hololens II to a royalty agreement. The next day 50M shares traded...and there are only 150M shares total for the company. Looks now like they were cleaning up for a sale/merger because...

..."MVIS-Today announced it has retained investment banking firm Craig-Hallum Capital Group LLC to serve as its financial advisor as it explores various licensing and other strategic alternatives, including a potential sale or merger of the company."

Selling this morning at .22 to .23 a share. Speculation is rampant about what a sale would bring, because potential suitors include MSFT, Apple, STM, Sony and others. Read this thread carefully to see what's going on!...and don't gamble money you can't afford to lose. A reverse-split is also still  on the table, and those almost always destroy shareholder value*.

ETA: *"destroy shareholder value" is a euphemism for "individual investor loses his shirt".

MVIS retains Craig Hallum

Full disclosure: I hold 30K shares at an .84 ASP. If they sell for a buck a share I make beer money. If it goes for $5 I make Porsche money. Point is, at .23 right now a buck sale will be a three bagger...

UPDATE: CEO just sent out a memo begging shareholders to vote "yes" on the reverse split...heavy implication is they're getting hammered by "no" votes, and the motion won't pass, or is in serious danger.

MVIS Reddit is lighting up. I won't pretend to fully understand the repercussions, but it sure is entertaining. If you have proxy voting rights, please use them and support the vote of no confidence on item 3!

Go here and do some (non-technical) Reddit reading. Emotions running high. Share is up 28% as I type.
Form_defa14a
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I still have a few shares from a long time ago, I lost quite a bit on them.

Maybe I’ll break even...
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting...
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
YOLO'd, in for 500 shares.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
What the hell. Just bought 87 shares.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
DAL

LUV

something something..........too big to fail.......bail out............something.

It is better than roulette, I hope.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuckit. Bought 200 shares. Was almost out of cash in my investment account and didn't feel like transferring any.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Osprey61:
Bored, and want to live dangerously?

Company I've been in for 14 years is in it's death throes...got pounded by the 'Rona. They own a wall of patents on MEMS laser projection and LIDAR, and just signed an agreement with MSFT last week to transfer manufacture of the light engine in Hololens II to a royalty agreement. The next day 50M shares traded...and there are only 150M shares total for the company. Looks now like they were cleaning up for a sale/merger because...

..."MVIS-Today announced it has retained investment banking firm Craig-Hallum Capital Group LLC to serve as its financial advisor as it explores various licensing and other strategic alternatives, including a potential sale or merger of the company."

Selling this morning at .22 to .23 a share. Speculation is rampant about what a sale would bring, because potential suitors include MSFT, Apple, STM, Sony and others. Read this thread carefully to see what's going on!...and don't gamble money you can't afford to lose. A reverse-split is also still  on the table, and those almost always destroy shareholder value*.

ETA: *"destroy shareholder value" is a euphemism for "individual investor loses his shirt".
I might short a thousand shares...

MVIS retains Craig Hallum

Full disclosure: I hold 30K shares at an .84 ASP. If they sell for a buck a share I make beer money. If it goes for $5 I make Porsche money. Point is, at .23 right now a buck sale will be a three bagger...
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
eh, WTH, I just bought like 5.00 worth...   with the few bucks I had in my account after buying more (T) this morning.
If it goes up to a buck I made enough for lunch, almost...  

Lets see what it does...
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
IBTL I’m betting.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Sound like the penny stocks on the wolf of wall street.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
In for 50 bucks, maybe I can get some of my loss back on my robinhood account I day trade with. By day trade I mean buy things, watch them loose money, buy more, watch it loose more money. Thank god I only had 400 bucks on robinhood, I mean 300, I mean 275 as of right now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought 300
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandguard] [#14]
Thanks! I picked up 400 shares.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Please, no pitchforks and torches at the gate if this goes south...

At the tech bubble, MVIS was selling for $68 a share. Not kidding.

I used to attend the ASM pretty regularly. The technology is absolutely amazing, they just could never monetize it.

MVIS Homepage
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:44:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#16]
Why the hell not?  I'm in for 1000 shares.  I never do this.  Maybe it'll pan out. If it does, I'll buy OP a steak.  

I promise no pitchforks.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:46:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#17]
LOL, an arfcom funded pump n dump.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lomshek:
IBTL I’m betting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up a Blue Label Glocks worth.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Please, no pitchforks and torches at the gate if this goes south...

At the tech bubble, MVIS was selling for $68 a share. Not kidding.

I used to attend the ASM pretty regularly. The technology is absolutely amazing, they just could never monetize it.

MVIS Homepage
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:50:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: macpherson] [#21]
I've followed this stock for several years now.  It's amazing how much of a following it has for being an obscure technology company that has done nothing but piss away money and dilute its stock for years, but somehow it was always just around the corner from going to the moon.

This acquisition play is clearly a lifeline asking someone to bail the company out because they are on the verge of going under.  Why, pray tell, would a stock trading for less than a quarter sell for $1 or more in an acquisition?

MVIS Homepage
View Quote

They couldn't monetize it because it's not that amazing and the major players who this was supposedly destined for (like Apple, Microsoft etc) knew that all along and didn't buy it.

I bought into the hype a while back when the stock was at $3 and change.  Got out while I could after I realized that if their stuff was that great they would have been acquired long ago.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Meh, I had a couple of bucks sitting in my Robinhood account so, I'm in for a whopping 20 shares.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Surprised its optionable
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#24]
CH does alot of asset backed transitional finance.

aka: going BK.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I've pissed away $200 on worse.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Osprey61] [#27]
Started this as entertainment...for fun...NOT a pump and dump. I've held for 14 years, and right now I'm fucking Slim Pickens riding this fucker into the explosion. Stated implicitly with LOTS of warnings.

Business went tits-up when a contract (widely believed to be with Amazon) for an interactive display speaker fell through as the virus propagated. So much volatility, shorts moved in for the kill.

Wall projector/phone projector never took off, but MSFT looked at all the options for VR/AR before deciding to go with MEMS retinal projection for Hololens II - you know, the one the Army just let a $960M contract for. MVIS owns the retinal projection patent moat, along with a tiny LIDAR that the automakers are very interested in.

Buy, don't buy...it's a huge fucking gamble. Tech companies like this have declared bankruptcy, gone private and screwed their shareholders over royally in the past. It's no secret. THIS THREAD FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. How's that?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#28]
In for like 5 bucks worth, solely for entertainment value
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#29]
What the hell, chump change to what I lost on Lehman. Pocket change bought me 150 shares.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#30]
600 shares now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I made a dollar on this today!
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#32]
For those interested in why MVIS will sell, here's good info on potential buyers and some company background. If you click on the hyperlink in the story on patents, you'll get a better idea of why the IP is worth a great deal of money to the emerging AR/IR market.

Interestingly, the Israeli Army is apparently developing programs for Hololens II at this point. One of MVIS board members is a retired colonel in the Israeli Army...and Microsoft has an estimated $136B in cash to protect their supply chain.

"Ben" is Ben Averch, a long time optical industry insider.

Ben's Blog
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
I made a dollar on this today!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Started this as entertainment...for fun...NOT a pump and dump. I've held for 14 years, and right now I'm fucking Slim Pickens riding this fucker into the explosion. Stated implicitly with LOTS of warnings.

Business went tits-up when a contract (widely believed to be with Amazon) for an interactive display speaker fell through as the virus propagated. So much volatility, shorts moved in for the kill.

Wall projector/phone projector never took off, but MSFT looked at all the options for VR/AR before deciding to go with MEMS retinal projection for Hololens II - you know, the one the Army just let a $960M contract for. MVIS owns the retinal projection patent moat, along with a tiny LIDAR that the automakers are very interested in.

Buy, don't buy...it's a huge fucking gamble. Tech companies like this have declared bankruptcy, gone private and screwed their shareholders over royally in the past. It's no secret. THIS THREAD FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. How's that?
View Quote
Its all good, I took it at just that and bought a few shares to see where it would go.

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#35]
It's an interesting play.   The market says no confidence in management and their ability to make money but the tech is novel.  It does look ripe for an acquisition.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought some
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#37]
My limit order finally triggered so in for a decent amount.  Already up 3%
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I 'bought' 10,000 shares using the PaperMoney* function in thinkorswim

-

* it's fake, they created the function for people to practice their trades.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I threw in a spare $100 for the hell of it
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I had a hundo sitting in Robinhood, I'm in for 433 at .21. Let's see how this goes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought 270
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#42]
As bad as Reddit sucks for so many, many things, the MVIS board is primarily mod'd by a guy called geo_rule who puts up with little to no shit.

Head-and-shoulders above SeekingAlpha and some of the other pump/dump boards.

MVIS on Reddit
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck it. I'll play.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#44]

My humble brag for the day. Small account ( just started 8 weeks ago) but I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#45]
This is step one leading to the first prison riot over beans in chili.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rlltd42] [#46]
I threw a few bucks at it, someone @ me if it gets entertaining.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By AS556:
https://i.ibb.co/DbW67VS/Screenshot-20200408-131003-Robinhood.jpg

My humble brag for the day. Small account ( just started 8 weeks ago) but I'm not complaining.
View Quote

Damn homie. Let's see your plays.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:19:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scdigger] [#48]
$NAK

Northern Dynasty Minerals

Do your DD....don't take this as official financial advice...but, if you've got a few dollars to throw around, it's a steal right now with the potential for a big payout....or lose everything.

ETA: Green today, up 17%.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

View Quote

Find a REIT you like. They're practically giving them away.

My gains today are mostly MFA and IVR.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

View Quote

@burnka871
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1686
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top