Link Posted: 8/25/2021 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

That'll probably trigger some selling.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Think or Swim is taking notice of you guys buying back your calls.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NIevo:
Well ZOM has been moving in the right direction lately for those still in that POS.
View Quote

Think those long in ZOM may be in for a treat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
View Quote

Someone ping Fellis, if he has any puts sold for Fri now is the time to buy them back.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Total53:

I'd give my left nut for some volume right now.

One would think MVIS would PR their 4 levels of LRL sensors before the show.
Or the Sharp MicroHUD, for which the contract was extended but no revenue has ever showed on the books.

Maybe today after the bell - and thru 15.50 she's gone.
View Quote

Above the averages.  MVIS need to start dropping hints about the show to get some of that volume for sure.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]

It got posted a couple of pages back.  It seems...dubious.
View Quote

Yeah. It was much weirdly placed in the article.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Guilty as charged.  I had a 16.50 for next week and that's below my basis.  I rolled it another week into profit range and made a smidgin more when I did it.  I don't want to give up my shares, but if I do I at least want to do it in the green!
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I just sold my first options contract  😅  -1 means I sold a call,  +1 is buying a call right? (I hope) made $5.31 offering up quik at $7 a share expiring mid Sept
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]
MAVIS needs to learn to dodge the mid-day down turn.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By goodasgone81:
I think I just sold my first options contract  😅  -1 means I sold a call,  +1 is buying a call right? (I hope) made $5.31 offering up quik at $7 a share expiring mid Sept
View Quote

Yes for Options sold my position shows a "-1".
What FI are did you sell? SENS? ME?
5.31 seems like an odd number, was the contract for .05?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Total53] [#12]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#13]
almost regretting that $16 strike/MVIS call I sold this week when it was like $13 this week to make a few bucks to round out a SENS holding. WHoops.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ticker quik .... 6 cents, after chase took their cut $5.31. Since I just wanted to get a feel I picked a stock I have with not a lot of activity and something I would have sold before it even got to $7
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Someone ping Fellis, if he has any puts sold for Fri now is the time to buy them back.
View All Quotes

I’ve no puts sold for this Friday.

Right now, thirteen contracts for 9/10 so there’s some time value left on those.  I’m speculating they’ll be waaay out of the money since 9/7 is the IAA Mobility (if it isn’t cancelled) so I’ll wait until next week or the following to consider those being bought back.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Got out of NSAV at .06. Clean double in less than 2 weeks.

Of course it doesnt even make up for the MRIN bags im holding.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jb31:

Here are a few inverse S&P500 ETFs that I am interested in.  I am trying to make some decisions so I can have some money waiting when I think the market is ready and move cash there until we hit bottom.  

Proshares -
SPXU 3x leveraged
SH 1x
SDS 2x

Exponential ETFs -
RVRS reverse cap weighted

Direxion -
SPDN daily 1x
SPXS daily 3x

@RatherBeLifting

View Quote
Daily: rebalances...daily.  So if you're +10%, -10%, +10%, +10%, -10% for a week, $10.00 turns into $10.78.  If one of your up days is a down day instead, 10.00 = 8.82; 5 down days in a row, 10.00 = 5.90 (to be fair, 5 up days = 16.10).  Not something to hold over a weekend, much less long-term.  A market that trades sideways will lose money the longer you hold it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Ticker quik .... 6 cents, after chase took their cut $5.31. Since I just wanted to get a feel I picked a stock I have with not a lot of activity and something I would have sold before it even got to $7
View Quote

Got it, Chase has a trading app, didn't know that.
Seems like you received a discount, IBKR charges me a dollar per contract, but then again I'm onesie and twosie'ing them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
almost regretting that $16 strike/MVIS call I sold this week when it was like $13 this week to make a few bucks to round out a SENS holding. WHoops.
View Quote

You could always roll.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Got it, Chase has a trading app, didn't know that.
Seems like you received a discount, IBKR charges me a dollar per contract, but then again I'm onesie and twosie'ing them.
View Quote

TD is .65.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been trading for a few years but nothing crazy,  love em or hate em I'm heavily tied to chase..... 5 or 6 years ago they were offering up to something like 100 trades a year free and being I already had checking with them it was/ is convenient to have a one stop shop.

That said it's not a very robust trading platform,  up until a few days ago I wasn't even sure I could do options through chase
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bugonawindshield:
Daily: rebalances...daily.  So if you're +10%, -10%, +10%, +10%, -10% for a week, $10.00 turns into $10.78.  If one of your up days is a down day instead, 10.00 = 8.82; 5 down days in a row, 10.00 = 5.90 (to be fair, 5 up days = 16.10).  Not something to hold over a weekend, much less long-term.  A market that trades sideways will lose money the longer you hold it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bugonawindshield:
Originally Posted By jb31:

Here are a few inverse S&P500 ETFs that I am interested in.  I am trying to make some decisions so I can have some money waiting when I think the market is ready and move cash there until we hit bottom.  

Proshares -
SPXU 3x leveraged
SH 1x
SDS 2x

Exponential ETFs -
RVRS reverse cap weighted

Direxion -
SPDN daily 1x
SPXS daily 3x

@RatherBeLifting

Yes!  The most difficult thing with these is the daily reset which can deteriorate the share price over time for the 2 and 3X leveraged funds.  I have held successfully monthly reset leveraged funds however with no noticeable decay.  REML, for example
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

TD is .65.
View Quote

IBKR charged me $1.06 per contract on the SENS calls I sold yesterday.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:52:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steviesterno16] [#24]

You could always roll.  
View Quote

@kaik

this is what I see when I'm in my options in RH. I know, but I had my money there already. I don't see a roll option, just what's here. Do I want to do anything to it or just let it ride and see what happens? Looks like Buy to close costs me $25, but sell to open gets me $25 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:02:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#25]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]

@kaik

this is what I see when I'm in my options in RH. I know, but I had my money there already. I don't see a roll option, just what's here. Do I want to do anything to it or just let it ride and see what happens? Looks like Buy to close costs me $25, but sell to open gets me $25 https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/Capture_JPG-2065698.JPG
View Quote

Ha IBKR which is hard to learn and charges you out the ass if you are a small retail trader has this....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

On Robinhood you have to manually buy the call back and sell another one.
View All Quotes

You could always roll.  

@kaik

this is what I see when I'm in my options in RH. I know, but I had my money there already. I don't see a roll option, just what's here. Do I want to do anything to it or just let it ride and see what happens? Looks like Buy to close costs me $25, but sell to open gets me $25 https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/Capture_JPG-2065698.JPG

Actually have a question relating to this.... from my brief research it sounds like if you want to "cancel " a covered call early, you just purchase a call for the same strike price etc..... does that mean if you sold a covered call with shares that were long term capital gains,  if you buy them back they'd now be short term ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Actually have a question relating to this.... from my brief research it sounds like if you want to "cancel " a covered call early, you just purchase a call for the same strike price etc..... does that mean if you sold a covered call with shares that were long term capital gains,  if you buy them back they'd now be short term ?
View All Quotes

You could always roll.  

@kaik

If you sold covered call and want to close it out early, the option you would be looking for is "buy to close".
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FelisTacet] [#30]

Actually have a question relating to this.... from my brief research it sounds like if you want to "cancel " a covered call early, you just purchase a call for the same strike price etc....does that mean if you sold a covered call with shares that were long term capital gains,  if you buy them back they'd now be short term ?
View All Quotes

You could always roll.  

@kaik

Actually have a question relating to this.... from my brief research it sounds like if you want to "cancel " a covered call early, you just purchase a call for the same strike price etc....does that mean if you sold a covered call with shares that were long term capital gains,  if you buy them back they'd now be short term ?

No, as long as your shares were never “called away” they will retain their LTCG status.

It’s when they’re called away that you decide on which shares to use for the called away shares (FIFO, LIFO, Spec ID)  if you haven’t selected that up front when it comes to selling shares.

If LTCG shares ARE called away and you turn around and buy the shares back (different from ‘selling’ and ‘buying’ the actual call contract)  the new shares will be STCG status for a year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#31]
If MVIS closes below 15, I'm going to be a tad pissed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:31:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wyomingnick] [#32]
OK I am confused, I did my first covered call. I sold a covered call on MVIS, immediately it shows as down 18%. I think that is because the value of the call went up and I sold it for less than that.

Where is the premium that was due me for selling the call  ? I figured that would go right into my account. It did not.

Google suggests it should be immediate. Later today ?

Looks like maybe it is not settled cash and will be entered later when settled ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#33]
One thing I'm struggling to understand is if you're the person buying a call, are you just shit out of luck if the person that sold it closes it out early?

Like say you bought a call that doesn't expire until Feb 2022.... but then in say Sept 2021 the dude that sold you the call closes it out for whatever reason.... does that mean the guy that bought it thinking he'd have the option to purchase the shares until Feb 2022 has no option to buy said shares after the call was closed early

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:
Originally Posted By NIevo:
Well ZOM has been moving in the right direction lately for those still in that POS.

I hope so....
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Looks like you might need to be ready to be pissed
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:
OK I am confused, I did my first covered call. I sold a covered call on MVIS, immediately it shows as down 18%. I think that is because the value of the call went up and I sold it for less than that.

Where is the premium that was due me for selling the call  ? I figured that would go right into my account. It did not.

Looks like maybe it is not settled cash and will be entered later when settled ?
View Quote

If Fidelity it's been taking 1 day for mine to show up, had been immediate until last week.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vengeance6661] [#37]
Originally Posted By mygreenkaw:

I hope so....
View Quote

I just can't imagine there isn't a huge market for Truforma. Pet ownership is at an all time high due to covid.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:08:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FelisTacet] [#39]
One thing I'm struggling to understand is if you're the person buying a call, are you just shit out of luck if the person that sold it closes it out early?

Like say you bought a call that doesn't expire until Feb 2022.... but then in say Sept 2021 the dude that sold you the call closes it out for whatever reason.... does that mean the guy that bought it thinking he'd have the option to purchase the shares until Feb 2022 has no option to buy said shares after the call was closed early

View Quote

Think of it just as a stock.  

You sell it to a person for two dollars premium, and it goes into a pool of contracts that were sold for prices anywhere from a dollar to ten dollars (in reality it’s a huge pool on a much grander price scale)

You buy it back for a dollar and made money.  There’s still contracts out there for varying prices, all the way down to the lowest price.

The guy you sold it to is still holding that contract at that premium price value.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Are you pissed yet?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#41]
August 9th mvis had a volume of 10 mil.... since then (excluding today)  it hasn't even been close to 5 mil.... today it's almost to 7 mil.... not sure what the volume was before the March down but wondering if it's shorts throwing whatever they can at it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I am so tired of these diving exercises.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

This is a misconception of how the contracts are actually handled.
For each contract sold there must be a matching buy. These transactions are handled thru the Options Clearing House.
Your broker has taken on the risk of resolving the contract thru the clearing house and are held on your behalf.

If you are going to buy back a previously sold contract, your broker again handles it thru the clearing house.
The premium of the contract reflects not only the underlying value but also the availability. If no one offers contracts to be sold you will have none to buy.

Like today - $16 strike MVIS calls became popular and the premium reflected both the pps of MVIS and the volume of contracts available until she fluttered back down.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#44]

If Fidelity it's been taking 1 day for mine to show up, had been immediate until last week.
View All Quotes

Ok that is what I thought. Maybe tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Dang, almost shed some MVIS at $16

At least my Friday $15.50 calls I sold are looking safer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#46]

@kaik

View Quote

Will they let you do a calendar trade?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

It depends on the trading platform.  TD does not give you the money until the contract is closed. Or it starts losing value.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:33:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#48]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

Are you pissed yet?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

Are you pissed yet?

Give me about 17 minutes....
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Should have waited until today to sell a call on lady Mavis.
Page / 1686
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top