Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2022 8:39:39 PM EDT
So I recently got a promotion and the whole summer off so I’ve decided a new watch is in order . A little backstory of my journey. I’ve mainly been into Omega having owned a couple Seamasters, a Planet Ocean, and like 3 Speedys ( not necessarily all at the same time). Then went into a period where I was uninterested in them so I sold them off for stamps and such. I’ve also owned a 116610ln and a 214270 but found I just don’t care for Rolex. Very meh and overrated imo. Got rid of em. Now my only watches are a custom Seiko SKX (XW Watches), Apple Watch and a Armourlite T100 tritium watch and I’ve found over the years that I love wearing my $300 Seiko as much or more than any of those luxury watches, the exception being the Speedy which I will buy again but not today.

All that being said, here’s some examples I’ve been looking at. I’d like to stay around $500 but don’t mind going up a little. Not looking for anything specific. 20mm lug width a big plus though as I have a handful of straps I could use. A manual wind would be cool but not really into the 38mm Hamilton afield watches. Pretty open.

-Gshock full metal square, either the B5000GD1 or the MB1. On the GD1, I’m not sure I like how shiny the black coating is. On the MB1, I like the matte black but not sure I like that brushed bit on the top.

-Seiko SPB239, 1965 diver reinterpretation. Preowned it’s a bit above what I’d like to spend at a cunts hair under $900 but I do like the look. Not sure about the gilt color though.

-Seiko Speedtimer, not sure if I like the all black or the panda version better. I’ll eventually have a Speedy though so this one may be redundant.

-Steinhart Ocean 39, nice Sub homage which doesn’t bother me but I had the real thing already…also I’m not sure I like how shiny the ceramic bezel is.

Anything else I should check out?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an SPB239 as my daily, its pretty sweet.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an SPB239 as my daily, its pretty sweet.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369083/spb239_jpg-2420632.JPG
View Quote

Do you find the gilt look clashes with different outfits? I know…. But I’d like something that’s casual enough for cargos and a tee or nice enough for a button down and Chinos.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Do you find the gilt look clashes with different outfits? I know…. But I’d like something that’s casual enough for cargos and a tee or nice enough for a button down and Chinos.
View Quote

IMO, no.  I have the same color/finish scheme on other Seiko divers and it looks good on any level of casual.

Not to stir the pot, but have you also looked at the SPB153?  Should be around the same price used and is a wee bit more unique. I think the case is more comfortable for long-term wear, too.  Different style, perhaps you prefer that one, but worth mentioning IMO.

If you go the Speedtimer route, I nod to the panda.  Always a more popular option and worth more in the aftermarket later.  I have an early 80s 7a28 and Panda versions are always double or triple apples-to-apples. Plus they look cool, I’m not just basing that opinion on theoretical resale.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you considered the Seiko SPB143, 1965 diver reinterpretation? No gilt, would fit your versatility requirement including the 20mm lug width. Could be picked up new for ~$1k in hand not too long ago so used might be close to your desired budget. I have been wearing one as a daily on and off and really like it, quickly became one of my favorites. One caveat, wears a little small for a 40mm, to me at least. Might be a plus to some.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

IMO, no.  I have the same color/finish scheme on other Seiko divers and it looks good on any level of casual.

Not to stir the pot, but have you also looked at the SPB153?  Should be around the same price used and is a wee bit more unique. I think the case is more comfortable for long-term wear, too.  Different style, perhaps you prefer that one, but worth mentioning IMO.

If you go the Speedtimer route, I nod to the panda.  Always a more popular option and worth more in the aftermarket later.  I have an early 80s 7a28 and Panda versions are always double or triple apples-to-apples. Plus they look cool, I’m not just basing that opinion on theoretical resale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve looked at the 153 but definitely not a fan of that case shape. I’ve never like the Willard style case.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]
A few comments:

Mechanical Options:
     I’m very partial, but I like the Sangin Atlas a bunch. Sangin is a veteran owned and operated company. They certainly support active duty guys and produce awesome watches for the money. They mainly use Seiko movements, but for the money you can’t go wrong. Saphire crystals and their alignment make it worth more than the comparable Seiko for me. Don’t pay secondhand prices for Sangins, they’re really only a $600 watch, they’re not a $1200 watch. I’d be hesitant to pay secondhand prices for them. Make sure you are ready to buy when they release a drop, they sell out quick.
     If you’re considering the SPB Seikos, I would also highly recommend the SPB143. They grey dial is perfect for any casual attire and looks nice in the office or at the range. The grey is quite a bit more versatile than the gilt dial. It’s a killer watch on the bracelet or a NATO. They might be over your budget, but it’s worth it in my opinion.
     Another option, although its pushing your budget a bunch might be the Sinn 556. It’s a step above the other watches listed here, but it’s another killer watch.
     Baltic watches are great options too. I think they’re using the Chinese Seagull movement in their watches, but they’re still really cool. The company is making some huge strides forward and you’re getting a lot of watch for the money.

Quartz Options:
     Casio GMWB5000D is a killer watch if you like Casio Squares. I have the yellow gold version and it’s a super fun watch to wear. I usually hate negative displays, especially the EL display, but the better screen in the 5000 series is perfect and very legible regardless how much lighting there is. The metal band is so so, but much better in person than their website makes them look. I still wear my 5610 when I’m working in the shop or working in the fields. A rubber band is nice for a beater. If you’re wanting a nice daily watch, the 5000 would be great for it.
     Sangin makes some other good options that are quartz. Not much to say other than they’re tanks and the owner does lots of testing before releasing watches.
     Brew makes some Mechaquartz Chronos that are really cool. Kinda yuppie styled, but I dig them.

Hope this helps and congratulations on the promotion!
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread needs pics
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A few comments:

Mechanical Options:
     I’m very partial, but I like the Sangin Atlas a bunch. Sangin is a veteran owned and operated company. They certainly support active duty guys and produce awesome watches for the money. They mainly use Seiko movements, but for the money you can’t go wrong. Saphire crystals and their alignment make it worth more than the comparable Seiko for me. Don’t pay secondhand prices for Sangins, they’re really only a $600 watch, they’re not a $1200 watch. I’d be hesitant to pay secondhand prices for them. Make sure you are ready to buy when they release a drop, they sell out quick.
     If you’re considering the SPB Seikos, I would also highly recommend the SPB143. They grey dial is perfect for any casual attire and looks nice in the office or at the range. The grey is quite a bit more versatile than the gilt dial. It’s a killer watch on the bracelet or a NATO. They might be over your budget, but it’s worth it in my opinion.
     Another option, although its pushing your budget a bunch might be the Sinn 556. It’s a step above the other watches listed here, but it’s another killer watch.
     Baltic watches are great options too. I think they’re using the Chinese Seagull movement in their watches, but they’re still really cool. The company is making some huge strides forward and you’re getting a lot of watch for the money.

Quartz Options:
     Casio GMWB5000D is a killer watch if you like Casio Squares. I have the yellow gold version and it’s a super fun watch to wear. I usually hate negative displays, especially the EL display, but the better screen in the 5000 series is perfect and very legible regardless how much lighting there is. The metal band is so so, but much better in person than their website makes them look. I still wear my 5610 when I’m working in the shop or working in the fields. A rubber band is nice for a beater. If you’re wanting a nice daily watch, the 5000 would be great for it.
     Sangin makes some other good options that are quartz. Not much to say other than they’re tanks and the owner does lots of testing before releasing watches.
     Brew makes some Mechaquartz Chronos that are really cool. Kinda yuppie styled, but I dig them.

Hope this helps and congratulations on the promotion!
View Quote

It does, and thanks!

So, I’ve owned a 2nd Gen Neptune and it really felt like an SKX that was 3x the price. I definitely can appreciate what Sangin represents but for me, in the end, they’re just super expensive Seikos.

I’ll look up that 556 though, thanks ??
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

In most cases I would say no it goes with basically anything but I will add a caveat that the watch changes colors drastically in different lighting conditions.

Indoors its mostly black dial with predominantly silver accents, outdoors its a grey sunburst dial with a subdued gold accents. If you put the peanut butter colored nato on the watch it then appears drastically more gilded than with the chocolate brown/black nato.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This thread needs pics
View Quote

Pictures of mine in their own respective environments

Sangin at Thunder Ranch

Casio in Destin, FL
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
These are all in-your-price-range-ish.

another Sangin

Christopher Ward

A-13A

A Squale I shouldn't have sold

SBDC001 w/ bezel mod

best damn beater watch evah
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Been enjoying the heck out of  my Seikos

Cant tell you the official pre-fixes off the top of my head

but its the Arnie, the 42mm Arab, and my dress/casual watch

Ive had a couple of higher end watches before, but my last TAG, i gifted to my brother when he was considering a career change ---but  i think ive got all the bases covered that i personally need with these 3

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Mimo's has a Seiko SB239 in his barnfind section right now. I've purchased from him in the past and it was a good experience.

2022 SPB239
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mimo's has a Seiko SB239 in his barnfind section right now. I've purchased from him in the past and it was a good experience.

2022 SPB239
View Quote

Ha! That’s actually the one I was looking at. Just don’t think I want that gilt dial though
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ha! That’s actually the one I was looking at. Just don’t think I want that gilt dial though
View Quote

I don’t have the same model but the gilt dial and bezel on my Seiko has grown on me.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]
First off, I don't much of anything about watches

That being said I do like them and just picked up a Traser P96 Pioneer.

But if my budget was around yours, I would've picked up a Lum-Tec Solar Marine 3. A little over your budget but I think it's a great looking watch.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My go to is Steinhart Ceramic Premium in 42. Double Green is my go to!
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Steinhart makes a 39 with black dial, a  cyclops and green aluminum bezel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#19]

My 42mm Ocean One Ceramic.  I beat the crap out of this thing and she still keeps running.

Chainsaws, lawn tools, hammering, Jeeping, shooting and a very high voltage blast ( low amps, obviously ) that knocked me halfway across the room last week (long story with a short ending...HA! Get it?) and she runs like a...well...Swiss Watch.  I am sure any of my other Swiss ones or Japanese would have offered me the same performance, but this is turning out to be my lucky watch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
4 years in and I still love my SRP777

Turtle Behind The Wheel by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy a Sinn from a German dealer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top