Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2021 8:30:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Like paneling, wall paper can be painted if it's smooth and the seams are good. Otherwise you got to score it, steam or spray glue solvent on it and carefully peel it off. Be careful scraping or you'll get into the paper covering the sheet rock. Pray a good base coat of paint was applied before the wall paper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI, that is the process.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Dreading the day I do the master bathroom but it's coming.  Already completed the half bathroom, in the end after removal I skim coated and it was a lot of work as the paper was of the foil type and stuck well.  Fortunately the master br, isn't foil and has started to peel already so I have a little hope.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like paneling, wall paper can be painted if it's smooth and the seams are good. Otherwise you got to score it, steam or spray glue solvent on it and carefully peel it off. Be careful scraping or you'll get into the paper covering the sheet rock. Pray a good base coat of paint was applied before the wall paper.
View Quote

Exactly.  

We bought an older house and the project list was long. New drywall was not an option at the time and taking the older paper down in the three bedrooms, according to the professionals we brought in, was likely to require significant wall work of some kind, including repairs and skim coats. I had about a dozen painters come in and the consensus was the teamwork was great and should yield good results if we wanted to leave it up:

1) TSP wall wash.
2) Repair patch work if necessary.
3) Two coats of a hand laid (not sprayed) "high quality oil primer with binding/blocking properties."  Their estimates indicated they would use Kilz or Zinsser.    
4) A very light sanding.
5) A wipe down.  
2) Two coats of a high quality paint in the colors we wanted.  The have down Benjamin Moore Aura and Sherwin Williams Emerald.

My mother in law ranted we were making a huge mistake and wanted to pay to have it ripped out, skim coated and redone.  Its been ten years in the high sun rooms, and you can't see anything.  Just had two repainted and the new painter had no clue wallpaper was underneath.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1) TSP wall wash.
3) Two coats of a hand laid (not sprayed) "high quality oil primer with binding/blocking properties."  Their estimates indicated they would use Kilz or Zinsser.    
4) A very light sanding.
5) A wipe down.  
2) Two coats of a high quality paint in the colors we wanted.  The have down Benjamin Moore Aura and Sherwin Williams Emerald.

View Quote

This is exactly how its done.
And for the record Im a 20+ year painting contractor who happens to remove wallpaper on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
well, i'll tell you that having wallpaper removed (which was worth every penny) reveals a lot of flaws in the walls.

Just had to do this in our new to us old house.   two rooms were UGLY wallpaper (dark red in one, bedroom, ugh) and had it removed.   plaster walls (old house) and flaws around the new (90's?) windows and such which were not visible until the wallpaper came off.

the drywall guy wasn't cheap, but he came in, skim coated it, fixed the issues and then put on heavy texture (to match the rest of the house) and it looks amazing.  Also, drywall guys (and painters) value cash deals, just saying.

was it cheap?  No, but drywall work is also worth every penny (more art than science) and it looks like it did when it was a new house.   It's also done forever, i never have to futz with it again, the flaws are fixed and all i have to do in the future is just paint.  

over 20 years that 4 grand (total, painters, removal, drywall work) is a nothing burger.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
We had wallpaper in a room that was painted over. Instead of messing with it we had 1/4" drywall  hung over it. Fast, cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly.  

We bought an older house and the project list was long. New drywall was not an option at the time and taking the older paper down in the three bedrooms, according to the professionals we brought in, was likely to require significant wall work of some kind, including repairs and skim coats. I had about a dozen painters come in and the consensus was the teamwork was great and should yield good results if we wanted to leave it up:

1) TSP wall wash.
4) A very light sanding.
5) A wipe down.  

My mother in law ranted we were making a huge mistake and wanted to pay to have it ripped out, skim coated and redone.  Its been ten years in the high sun rooms, and you can't see anything.  Just had two repainted and the new painter had no clue wallpaper was underneath.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  

1) TSP wall wash.
4) A very light sanding.
5) A wipe down.  

This is what I did several months ago for my kitchen. The end result was great and was worth the effort.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Another item to look into is a wallpaper tool called ‘Paper Tiger’. Made by Zinsser. It has a series of toothed wheels that prick the surface of the paper that allows any solution painted over the paper to penetrate better to soften the glue. Made for plastic or foil coated papers in particular.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Hire someone! Haha it’s a terrible process
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
id go over it with 1/4 sheetrock and call it a day.
i removed it at my parents house as a teenager, and ill never fucking do it again.  days of labor, huge fucking mess.  nope.
i know alot of people that do it once and swear theyll never remove it, just sheetrock right over it.  

sometimes, re-drywalling is easier.  even for patch work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I've steamed a bunch off, but mine was 50 years old. The worst was a room someone painted over it. That was a lot of scraping and a major pain in the ass. I also had to skim coat the drywall after. But the room without paint went pretty painlessly. I'd buy a steamer with the wallpaper attachment and give it a try. If it's gonna be horrible, consider painting over.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I started with a spray bottle but that wasn't getting anywhere.  Gave up on that and grabbed a pump up sprayer you'd spray weeds with amd filled with water and some wallpaper remover.  Scored with the paper tiger, hosed the wall down and wait.  Waiting is key, the wetter and looser you can get it, the easier it will come off.  Used one of the wallpaper scrapers to get it off.  It blows, I still have a bedroom and a bathroom to do but dread it lol.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top