Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2022 7:57:57 PM EDT
From Reuters:

“Walmart (WMT) shares closed down 11.4% after it reported a 25% quarterly earnings decline and cut its full-year profit outlook due to rising fuel and labor costs, while shoppers, squeezed by decades-high inflation on basic needs like food, reined in purchases of nonessential items.

That put Walmart (WMT) shares on track for its biggest daily percentage drop since an 11.79% tumble on Oct 16, 1987, the last trading session before the "Black Monday" stock market crash in which the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged more than 22%.”

What are the odds?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. They are still the go to shopping place for a majority of people.

Back around 2015 I saw WMT drop 10% in a day to $60. I threw some extra cash at it and doubled my money in 5 years.

Ill be watching WMT.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
At 10% inflation, doubling your money in 5 years would be break even.

We are in for serious turmoil.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At 10% inflation, doubling your money in 5 years would be break even.

We are in for serious turmoil.
View Quote
You're suggesting that at 10% inflation annually, you'd need $200 in five years to buy what $100 buys now?

10% is steep, but it doesn't get there quite that fast. At 10% annually, you'd need around $161 to buy what $100 buys today.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't wuy Walmart stock or any other stock for that matter,
however, it's my favorite place to do my shopping.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm.  When you hear doomers says food is off the shelves, they show walmart.  All that food is still available in other grocers.

If my production is limited to 400 million units instead of 800 million, why would I sell to walmart for 87 cents, when other grocers pay 97 cents?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe it’s because they started closing at 11:00 pm due to fucking covid.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe it’s because they started closing at 11:00 pm due to fucking covid.
View Quote

I didn’t know about that. I turn into a pumpkin at 12,11,10,9 now days..gettin old.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#8]
fuck wal mart
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#9]
FWM
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Walmart and Target prove to me that stocks are not a guaranteed investment during periods of high inflation. They probably aren't even a good investment during high inflation. Companies can't pass on every cost increase to the consumer, and even if they did eventually the consumer would run out of money to spend. I expect a lot of badly missed earnings until at least the end of the year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Walmart and Target prove to me that stocks are not a guaranteed investment during periods of high inflation. They probably aren't even a good investment during high inflation. Companies can't pass on every cost increase to the consumer, and even if they did eventually the consumer would run out of money to spend. I expect a lot of badly missed earnings until at least the end of the year.
View Quote

Yeah the problem is nobody is going to keep up with earnings from the last few years.  The good news is that next years earnings will beat this years when comparing quarters.  Stocks will start to look great next year as they will all be beating earnings from Q2 2023 forward.  At least for a little while.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Dow fell 3.57% so not a black Wednesday. Although 4.04% and 4.73% by the s&p and nasdaq left some bruising.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Walmart and Target prove to me that stocks are not a guaranteed investment during periods of high inflation.
View Quote

stocks are never a guaranteed investment.

and "periods" sorta gets to the whole point of "time in" vs. "timing" the stock market.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

stocks are never a guaranteed investment.

and "periods" sorta gets to the whole point of "time in" vs. "timing" the stock market.

View Quote

I never thought they were guaranteed but I've read a lot of posts that claimed since stocks were assets they would rise with higher inflation. That sounds like a really good argument, but it's only partially correct. Over the long term they will go up with inflation, but they will probably go down a lot in the short term. I feel the same way about PMs as a hedge for inflation. Once the Fed starts raising rates by a large amount PMs are going to crash. Anyway this should be a great opportunity to buy cheap.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I think retail stocks in particular are going to be particularly volatile until inflation gets under control. Target I’m not really surprised as they’re more upscale and carry less of the basic necessity goods that Walmart carries, but Walmart surprised me by how hard they dipped. I figured they’d have weathered this better given their lower prices and how they’ve solidly segmented themselves in grocery for years. Lots of seemingly cheap buys in retail right now if one is willing to hold long.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think retail stocks in particular are going to be particularly volatile until inflation gets under control. Target I’m not really surprised as they’re more upscale and carry less of the basic necessity goods that Walmart carries, but Walmart surprised me by how hard they dipped. I figured they’d have weathered this better given their lower prices and how they’ve solidly segmented themselves in grocery for years. Lots of seemingly cheap buys in retail right now if one is willing to hold long.
View Quote

Target is basically Walmart with a nice dress and makeup on
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Target is basically Walmart with a nice dress and makeup on
View Quote

Except their prices don’t reflect that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, right or wrong I bought $12k of WMT today at 125.92.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, right or wrong I bought $12k of WMT today at 125.92.
View Quote

I was a bit too timid. Only bought 2.5k at $119 last week. My brain said buy more..There was a disconnect somewhere between there and the hand..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top