Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2020 4:51:31 PM EDT
I inherited this watch from my grandfather. It needs fixing. I recently moved so I don’t know how to find the right place to do the work. It probably needs a cleaning and some other work because the main stem slides out of it. I don’t want it overhauled with a new crystal or any changes to the face or hands. My grandfather put years of honest wear on it and I don’t want to lose that. How would I go about finding a place to do the work and not rip me off? St. Augustine area of Florida but willing to go through Jacksonville or farther South to get quality work done.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a fantastic watch!

I don't have any recs for local Florida, but there are quite a few reputable servicers which you can ship to. I'll let the locals chime and and perhaps some guys who deal more with vintage pieces.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn’t mind shipping but want to make sure they don’t just start swapping crystals and other parts. I just want the internals repaired and to be able to use it. I have a dislike of springy metal bands so I would swap the band but I would never get rid of the band. I have seen the same watch with a nice black leather band.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Dupity dupe
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
@M4Real is in Florida. Has a jewelry business and repairs Rolexes, etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
@unreformed66 ..

I still have an Elgin I need to send unreformed. Get him in on this post to see if he can take care of you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@M4Real is in Florida. Has a jewelry business and repairs Rolexes, etc.
View Quote
Thanks! OP, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my contact info. I can help you out with that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks! OP, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my contact info. I can help you out with that.
View Quote

PM sent!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
It all works out! You better post some updates here when you get it back - give us a sensual vid of that thing ticking away...
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It all works out! You better post some updates here when you get it back - give us a sensual vid of that thing ticking away...
View Quote

That would be awesome! I will do it for sure!
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Soon!

It is finished but I am not trusting shipping lately. Going to pick it up from M4Real at the shop next week!
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Soon!

It is finished but I am not trusting shipping lately. Going to pick it up from M4Real at the shop next week!
View Quote

Excellent! Can't wait...
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked it up today. Matt has it running like a Swiss Watch! I’m still on the road and will get that video and some after pics up when I get to a better camera at home. I gotta say after emailing and talking with him I felt confident my watch was in great hands.I was worried about shipping it but after he let me know it arrived I had no worries. It wasn’t cheap to replace the broken parts and service it but I now have a working family heirloom that I will be able to wear and pass down some day. Next update will be better pics and I will try like crazy to get a ticking video up!

Thanks again Matt, it was great to meet you, your wife and staff!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Picked it up today. Matt has it running like a Swiss Watch! I'm still on the road and will get that video and some after pics up when I get to a better camera at home. I gotta say after emailing and talking with him I felt confident my watch was in great hands.I was worried about shipping it but after he let me know it arrived I had no worries. It wasn't cheap to replace the broken parts and service it but I now have a working family heirloom that I will be able to wear and pass down some day. Next update will be better pics and I will try like crazy to get a ticking video up!

Thanks again Matt, it was great to meet you, your wife and staff!
View Quote

Next time you're in town we should go grab a beer or something. I'll look you up when we head over your way also.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I love a happy restoration story.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Wakmann Triple Date Chronograph

Quoted:
View Quote

@MonFusil
@M4Real
@Jack19

Challenge met!
Best I can do video from my iPhone. I need to set up some lighting to take the good pics with the DSLR so might be a few days till I get those.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I made another video after running the timer for just over 6 and a half hours so you all could see the hour, minute, and second hands all snap into alignment.

Wakmann Triple Date Chronograph Stopwatch Reset
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#18]
That turned out great! Glad to hear it went well. I love getting restored watches back, especially when they have sentimental value. Congrats!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top