Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2018 9:17:48 PM EDT
Just found my grandfather discharge paperwork with his unit info and have also requested his records from the OPM archives. I was hoping someone could help me with some good sources or could answer a few questions.

He was part of D Co 66th AR possibly under 2AD and would have went ashore at Normandy around D+3 according to some sites I found.

My question is everything it listed by battalion such as 3/66 AR with no mention of the companies. I’m trying to figure out what battalion he was apart of and I’m wondering if no battalion had the same company designation in the regiment?

For example 1/66 has A-D Co, 2/66 has E-I Co etc... or did each battalion have the same designations for companies like A Co 1/66 and A Co 2/66?

Also turn out 66th AR was deployed to OEF in Paktika the same time I was which was also pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
How did you request this?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
It would appear that your sources are correct, in that the 2 AD did land at Normandy on 9 June.  CGSC has some WWII AARs in their electronic library for the 66th AR and 2nd AD.  My apologies if you've seen these already; if not, here are the links to some reports that you may find interesting:

Operations report for period June 1-30 inclusive (2nd Armored Division)

After action report, 66th Armored Regiment, 2nd Armored Division, Aug 44 thru May 45

G-3 report: 2d Armored Division

Unit Report No. 1, 66th Armored Regiment
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I haven’t seen those before. That’s exactly what I was looking for tho. Hopefully I can find the rest of the AARs. I read about 30 pages last night and from the sounds of it they were pretty much in the shit from the start.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a family photo possibly taken by my grandfather that may be his tank crew. The back states its just before they head to Berlin. Can anyone Identify the type of tank they are in front of?

Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a family photo possibly taken by my grandfather that may be his tank crew. The back states its just before they head to Berlin. Can anyone Identify the type of tank they are in front of?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/179B_lVnkBPzQps06QGFdeR6_FanJ50ak/view?usp=sharing
View Quote
To the right is a Sherman.  What they're standing in front of looks too wide and low to be a Sherman.  Either an M-26 Pershing or some variety of Tank Destroyer is my guess.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Photo shows them standing in front of a m26 Pershing. Puts the time frame in winter spring 45.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Pershing was my guess based on how low the hull is and the gun port. I read that that Pershing’s were in very limited service towards the end of the war. The bumper number is 36. Would this be third platoon commander take similar to how things are done today?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Knew a fella who went to Europe in Pershings.  They ended up in what is now Czechia, and were tired of C-rats.  So they mounted a M1919 in front of the passenger of a jeep and went deer hunting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]
D coy was generally light tanks or in this case, the M-5 Stuarts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/179B_lVnkBPzQps06QGFdeR6_FanJ50ak/view?usp=sharing
View Quote
M-26 Pershing.  That may not be their vehicle though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Agreeing, M26 Pershing on the left and an M4A1 76mm Wet Stowage Sherman on the right.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just found my grandfather discharge paperwork with his unit info and have also requested his records from the OPM archives. I was hoping someone could help me with some good sources or could answer a few questions.

He was part of D Co 66th AR possibly under 2AD and would have went ashore at Normandy around D+3 according to some sites I found.

My question is everything it listed by battalion such as 3/66 AR with no mention of the companies. I’m trying to figure out what battalion he was apart of and I’m wondering if no battalion had the same company designation in the regiment?

For example 1/66 has A-D Co, 2/66 has E-I Co etc... or did each battalion have the same designations for companies like A Co 1/66 and A Co 2/66?

Also turn out 66th AR was deployed to OEF in Paktika the same time I was which was also pretty cool.
View Quote
As late as October 1944 there was a Golf Co\66 Armored Regiment listed as assigned to 2 AD, so up to that point the companies were still using the older A Co through I Co regiment TOE. By the end of 1944 armored regiments adopted the generic A Co through E Co BN TOE. Unless you can locate specific AAR's from earlier in the war, your grandfather's service will likely be linked to specific BN's like 3\66, and not companies themselves.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Coys A-C were M4 Shermans.  Co. D was M-5 Stuarts.

Mind you, there were very many different models of Shermans that a unit could have.  It all depended on what got shot up and what replaced it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top