Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/25/2021 12:50:37 PM EDT
WW2 1911 .45 CAL Pistol Training

To the guys who love them AND todays refined gems of 1911 exellence.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I got lucky and snagged a couple before the prices went insane. Got one for $350 and had to pay $1200 for another. The one for $1200 came from an old co-worker who's Dad carried in post WWII Germany as an MP.  I also have his brass MP whistle too.
For years he talked to me about selling it to me, never would come up with a price.  One day I walked in and started throwing $100 bills on his desk and said "Say when"  He said when after my hands were empty.  

Another friend carried this one when he was in the Army.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thinking about all the fantastic plastic i have, something is definitely missing here

Quoted:
I got lucky and snagged a couple before the prices went insane. Got one for $350 and had to pay $1200 for another. The one for $1200 came from an old co-worker who's Dad carried in post WWII Germany as an MP.  I also have his brass MP whistle too.
For years he talked to me about selling it to me, never would come up with a price.  One day I walked in and started throwing $100 bills on his desk and said "Say when"  He said when after my hands were empty.  

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1936/hFKKy8.jpg
View Quote

And that is exactly what i mean ^

There is a soul in those... nice find
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I love 1911's. Cheap 1911's suck.
After owning higher dollar 1911's, relatively speaking, I'm a 1911 snob.
I'd still like to own a USGI 1911 sometime, but don't care to pay the prices, so I'll probably never own one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously considering giving Rick Mcdowell a call...
The fourth digit is gonna be a 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Auto Ordnance 1911s. They need some polishing but they run.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
1943 Remington Rand bought at a pawn shop in 1988 for $250.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Can someone fill me in the rest of the way on Colt. They have a history of putting their pants on head first and have been out done by meticulous crafters left and right, Yes. But they still have this quality that commands a dan wesson-ish price still.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can someone fill me in the rest of the way on Colt. They have a history of putting their pants on head first and have been out done by meticulous crafters left and right, Yes. But they still have this quality that commands a dan wesson-ish price still.
View Quote

They make a quality and consistent 1911; if you have a problem with one, call Colt and send it back and they make it right. Like everyone the occasional lemon gets through, but they're generally pretty good about fixing their mistakes.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a base gun for $800-1000 or so, or get one with most of the bells/whistles for $1400 or so. The only real known out of the box issue you'll probably run into is that their new guns tend to run light in the extractor tension department; a slight tweak and they're in-spec and will give years if not decades of reliable service. Their 45ACP guns are %100 sorted out otherwise. Same with their 38 Super guns. 9mm, the one I had needed some extractor work more than anything else...it was extracting ok but it failed the 10-8 test pretty miserably. I wound up moving it on because I didn't want to fiddle with it, and it really didn't do anything any better than my other 9mms.

If you run into a Colt that won't run out of the box, it'll be unusual, and contact Colt for an RMA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I asked a WW2 pilot about his .45. He said they gave it to him one day, he wore it, but never fired it. He dropped it off with his other stuff when he returned Home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They make a quality and consistent 1911; if you have a problem with one, call Colt and send it back and they make it right. Like everyone the occasional lemon gets through, but they're generally pretty good about fixing their mistakes.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a base gun for $800-1000 or so, or get one with most of the bells/whistles for $1400 or so. The only real known out of the box issue you'll probably run into is that their new guns tend to run light in the extractor tension department; a slight tweak and they're in-spec and will give years if not decades of reliable service. Their 45ACP guns are %100 sorted out otherwise. Same with their 38 Super guns. 9mm, the one I had needed some extractor work more than anything else...it was extracting ok but it failed the 10-8 test pretty miserably. I wound up moving it on because I didn't want to fiddle with it, and it really didn't do anything any better than my other 9mms.

If you run into a Colt that won't run out of the box, it'll be unusual, and contact Colt for an RMA.
View Quote

Ok then my pants are on wrong here, too much bias from too few people. I was hoping to see something like this. I traded my philippine wonder once i deducted that i was buying the damn thing over again to make it perform up to a respectable par. “Would rather glock my little heart out” was the next thought that took over
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Top is a '44 Colt.

The other side is pretty gnarly, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah - Colt still does make a solid 1911. There are plenty of things to gripe at Colt about, but their 1911s aren't one of them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I asked a WW2 pilot about his .45. He said they gave it to him one day, he wore it, but never fired it. He dropped it off with his other stuff when he returned Home.
View Quote

God damn man...
J. Browning wept
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
As much as I'd love an issued 1911, I'm not paying that much for one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1943 Remington Rand bought at a pawn shop in 1988 for $250.

https://i.imgur.com/yx3dDKH.jpg
View Quote

Nice rig there, did it come like that or did you put that together? I have a fetish for those pistol belt rigs
like that, I must have at least 6 of them complete, one is all the WW1 parts, I will take a pic and post it here.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's nothing wrong with the current offerings from Colt.

I'm the first to bash a UAW shop, and Colt has shit the bed several times over the years, but what they've been putting out for the last decade has been fine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nice rig there, did it come like that or did you put that together? I have a fetish for those pistol belt rigs
like that, I must have at least 6 of them complete, one is all the WW1 parts, I will take a pic and post it here.
Gimme a sec.
View Quote

Please and thankyou
ETA
Lovely
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive owned a few 1911's over the years. From cheap High Standard to Original matching 1943 Remington Rand. They each had a purpose.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

As others have said, Colt 1911s are good to go, even their basic models (at least those made in the past 20 years). I recently bought one of their last Series 80 1991s (recently discontinued), and it's been flawless.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Please and thankyou
View Quote

I did, a 1919 gun, replaced barrel, hammer too and grips, it had plastic ones on it when I got it. Picked up locally from friend whose
Father carried it stateside as an MP during ww2.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I did, a 1919 gun, replaced barrel, hammer too and grips, it had plastic ones on it when I got it. Picked up locally from friend whose
Father carried it stateside as an MP during ww2.
View Quote

Excellent yeah the one that slipped through my fingers a couple years ago was a Series 70 MKIV im almost positive. Too little too late and i think it still haunts me, and as far as some of the older ones, the more personal becomes the more cherished.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Excellent yeah the one that slipped through my fingers a couple years ago was a Series 70 MKIV im almost positive. Too little too late and i think it still haunts me, and as far as some of the older ones, the more personal becomes the more cherished.
View Quote

Thanks! Attachment Attached File
how about this one? my series 70 (okay one of them anyway)
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks! https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/143978/80_colt_001_jpg-1841080.JPGhow about this one? my series 70 (okay one of them anyway)
View Quote

Get it out and let all ‘merica hear your freedom ring!
Life is short
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Get it out and let all ‘merica hear your freedom ring!
Life is short
View Quote

For sure, shot it a bit last Spring, I paid 1000 for the series 70 a few years back at my local shop.
I was shocked to even find it there to begin with, older Colts tend to get snapped up FAST.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a parts build Colt/Rem Rand. Awesome gun. Now I only have an older SA Loaded. But I still love that one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Custom 1911 Demo - 100 Yard Plate Rack Shot!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Now that guy can SHOOT...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I wanted a shooter 1911A1, so I built my own. Then I started cloning them like cloning issued M16s/M4s.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I love threads about GI 1911s.

I've got two 1911s - a minty 1944 (I think?) Remington Rand that I'm pretty certain had never been shot before I owned it, and a commemorative Colt series 70 (not really rare or desirable though) with a bunch of engraving on it that has never been shot.

I keep going back and forth on whether I should keep shooting the RR (I popped the cherry, but only have maybe 2 boxes of ammo through it and it's still minty) or the commemorative, or if I should buy a shooter and keep these two nice and (relatively) unfired.  But why worry about at all? I'll never sell them, and the price difference between minty/near minty is negligible anyway. But it's a MINT WWII 1911! But guns are useless if you don't shoot them! It's an argument I have with myself all the time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Dad's 1944 Remington Rand that he carried as an officer in WWII (non-combat), Korea (combat), and during the Vietnam era.
Attachment Attached File

He had ordnance set it up for army pistol matches with a matched HS barrel and bushing, and a very crisp 4 lb. trigger with a hardened sear.

It is the most accurate handgun that I own and my most valued possession.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1936/hFKKy8.jpg
View Quote

lol...nice score.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks! https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/143978/80_colt_001_jpg-1841080.JPGhow about this one? my series 70 (okay one of them anyway)
View Quote

Oh that brings back fond memories. My first 1911 was a series 70 I bought in '82 or so, I loved it dearly but I was struck down with a bad case of dumbass one day and traded it off.

I like my current herd of Colt's a lot but as God is my witness I will find another one of those some day.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

Mine... a 1943 Remington Rand
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I sent my paperwork in for a CMP 1911..............probably wont see it for a year or two
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#42]
This one watched the Japs surrender on the Mighty Mo. Given to my father by the man who carried it while he watched.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#45]

I think I've added a couple since then, I know I have a bunch of Sistemas I didn't put in there..
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This one watched the Japs surrender on the Mighty Mo. Given to my father by the man who carried it while he watched.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/307202/4F40BDD0-F4D0-445F-ADEE-CA09CD8D3A52_jpe-1841254.JPG
View Quote

Woah, a US&S no less.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#47]

1943 Colt
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#49]
This poor pistol was found in an abandoned cabin in SW Alaska and given to me.
1945 Remington Rand. She's  ugly, but still shoots nice.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fun Facts:

From the first 50 made during December 1911, after acceptance testing found one of the War Department Trials pistol fire 10,000+ rounds without malfunction, to the next one purchased by someone here, there is a receiver fixture at the factory to this day which every Colt has been through, have not been able to improve it.

Colt's were made by workers born circa 1860 to 1890, sons of the War Between the States. In an era of miracles, the output of the Industrial Age produced the sewing machine, icebox, telephone and washing machine yet were crude at best, the M1911 was instantly recognized as a handmade work of art.

During the period from 1915 to 1919 when three Prime Contractors built the Model for the War Department (Springfield Armory, our National Arsenal, not the private company of today), Remington Union Metallic Cartridge Company (the Service Pistols Remington built) and Colts Patent Firearms Company, the Ordnance Department Inspectors were confounded by serious problems with interchangeability of parts, not only among the contractors but among pistols from the same company and the same shipment... One Off Quality

Every company had serious trouble persuading artisans on the Line to "sloppy-up" tolerances for easy fitment. We are custodians of pistols in high condition (meaning low round count, parts wear and limited "break in") by all 3 Companies made during the same year, the struggle was real. Even among SA and Colts, pistols from the same year have parts trouble with each other and in some cases, they will not exchange certain parts (barrel bushing, thumb safety, mainspring housing, etc.).

Only the ignorant or willful fool might ignore successful Service to Country employed by a number of sidearms well after the Colt pattern auto, yet here is a weapon that cannot be discounted beyond inevitable armament evolution or mere personal preference:

far more than any other, the following weapon design is mentioned in 55 Medal Of Honor Citations

M1911/A1

______________________________________________________________________________________

From December 1911 of unparalleled importance to US Military Heritage are Serial No. 4, 10, 30, 31, 33

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top