Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2018 12:55:34 PM EDT
Where do you guys/gals find the best reference? I need Sissonne-St. Eerme for a little project. Google overload.

Edit title change
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The Michelin company produced a series of 'Illustrated.....Guides to the Battle-Fields (1914-1918)' and they have long been avidly sought after by people interested in the Great War. They were produced very rapidly after the war ended, and it is quite clear that official records were used by the unnamed authors. The scholarship in them is impressive
Example:
https://archive.org/details/michelinguidetob00mill
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I took a small group to the front lines of WW1 way back before it was popular.

I found a lot of maps online and they are mostly good, at least for a starting point.  To this day I think Michilin makes a generic battle field map but it does not show the trench line detail.

Interesting side note, you can still see the traces of trenches in the ground after the farmers plow it. In many areas they left a different color to the ground and I think they call them ghost lines or something like that. Lots of goodies can still be found too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Not completely related, but close enough and I felt the need to share with someone who might see the interest in it...

I am reading Storm of Steel, by Ernst Junger. I opened google to cross reference the map, and try to get my head right on where he was talking about, his moves between battle spots, his path from one spot to another, walking, marching, riding etc. Just for curiousity, no real goal in mind.
As I try to determine where he is in this one particular part, he moves into a little place called Guillemont. So I am scanning around, looking at the map trying to see the terrain, think about where the opposing troops were and where he was taking fire from, maybe see the church he is talking about, and to my surprise right there is a tiny street, Rue Ernst Junger. Just a couple hundred yards long, but there it is.

Not much other than that, just a wierd coincidence that I find that little street in tiny French town, named after a German officer, and I just happened to try to figure out that one spot where he was at that one time, and there's literally a damn road sign pointing to it! I explained it to my wife, who cares not at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top