Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2023 10:39:56 PM EDT
I have a neighbor who to the best of my understanding is the widowed wife of a Von Hapsburg prince. Also I think he was Wehrmacht in WWII. Would anyone here have any information about such a possibility?
She is a very nice lady, old with not a lot of time left. Next time I see her I would love to have a long conversation with her.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Welp, Hitler hated the Habsburgs!! The Nazis caught two of them and sent them to Dachau after the Anschluss. Hitler saw the Habsburgs and the Dual Monarchy as soft on Jews therefore Bolshevism as this was a Jewish plot and soft on Slavs who were untermenschen and genetically inferior stock in "German" Lands. So, the Habsburgs made the list.

The Guy that was the "crown" prince, Otto who had about 18 or 20 names, escaped to France at first where he contributed to the anti-Nazi movement and also helped with the escape of a number of prominent Jews from the old Empire. When France was invaded, he came to the US.

After the War, Otto was the number one cheer leader for a free, democratic, independent Austria as opposed to a Soviet Satellite/client state. Due to his lobbying, energy and developed friendships, Austria would become a Neutral country and not a Soviet Puppet State. Otto also promulgated the line about Austria being a "victim" of Nazi occupation. This part is absolute nonsense. Hitler was an Austrian as were many of the highest ranking members of the Nazi Party. A majority of Austrians wanted to be "united" with Germany. But, it was because of Otto that Austria was FREE!

The Nazis also created a lot of laws baring Habsburgs from a great deal of Austrian society including politics. They were mentioned by name.
After the War, Austrian politicians kept those specific laws on the books. So, Otto resided in the US for decades while working on European issues and what not. Sometime during the 1960s, Otto was allowed to kowtow and prostrate himself in front of the politicians who were most likely collaborators and promised he would never try to recreate the Austrian Empire. For his confessions, he was allowed back in the Country. No good deed goes unpunished.

Later on in Life, Otto was one of the first people elected to the European Parliament, an organization he helped create. By all metrics, Otto von Habsburg was a decent human being died about 13 years ago, roughly/circa.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I know in late 2002 when I returned from Afghanistan, a friend took me to see the Royal Lipizzan Stallions (Hapsburgs) in Florida. The gentleman directing the show was a very elderly former Wehrmacht officer. I recall they had the Hapsburg brand. I'll have to dig up photos I took then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top