Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2020 6:42:09 PM EDT
Honestly I was looking for a heavier duty tripod and some of them are pretty over priced, underbuilt, or both. Is there anything wrong with going the vintage route? I ordered two tripods that still cost less than the price of one newer production. They seem heavy/built like tanks.

I'm planning on using this for astrophotography using a Startracker and a DSLR.

Amazingly each Tripod only cost me $30 Shipped, why are these so cheap?

Both are made in Japan and look to be mostly made out of metal.

One is a Sears 8465, the other is a Manon Model 500. Regrettably the Sears is currently "delayed" in the USPS Chicago hub since the 6th. I ended up ordering the Manon and it will be shipping to me via Fed Ex, fortunately the seller is also in my state.

I'm planning on using this for astrophotography using a Startracker and a DSLR.

Im really bummed out about the Sears being MIA. I think I have a good score as far as condition.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The Manon seems to do something pretty interesting. It almost transforms into an Equitorial Mount, and actually can use a counter weight.
Photos credited to Click To View Spoiler
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Ebay Picture

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong with picking up a used tripod but if you're serious about using it spend a little more and buy something that's quality. I've owned cheap tripods in the past and I missed photographs because of them.

I have several tripods some heavy, some light, depends on how much weight you're wanting them to support and how far you have to carry them.

Have a Gitzo safari sport which is the heaviest, don't use it unless I'm shooting with long glass or the tripod is going to be in water. It has reversed legs which makes it perfect for that.

Have a couple Bogen tripods, don't remember the model number, that I used a lot when I shot medium format. They were much lighter than the Gitzo. Pretty good tripods as long as you remembered to keep the locking mechanism tightened up. I always carried a wrench with me.

Currently I use a compact Benro carbon fiber tripod, which I really like. Light, easy to set up, will support most of my stuff pretty well. It's probably a little light for a big, fast, telephoto lens.

Also remember, the best tripod with a crap head isn't going to work well at all. You can find those used as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Nothing wrong with picking up a used tripod but if you're serious about using it spend a little more and buy something that's quality. I've owned cheap tripods in the past and I missed photographs because of them.

I have several tripods some heavy, some light, depends on how much weight you're wanting them to support and how far you have to carry them.

Have a Gitzo safari sport which is the heaviest, don't use it unless I'm shooting with long glass or the tripod is going to be in water. It has reversed legs which makes it perfect for that.

Have a couple Bogen tripods, don't remember the model number, that I used a lot when I shot medium format. They were much lighter than the Gitzo. Pretty good tripods as long as you remembered to keep the locking mechanism tightened up. I always carried a wrench with me.

Currently I use a compact Benro carbon fiber tripod, which I really like. Light, easy to set up, will support most of my stuff pretty well. It's probably a little light for a big, fast, telephoto lens.

Also remember, the best tripod with a crap head isn't going to work well at all. You can find those used as well.
View Quote

Thanks, I'm honestly fine with heavier. If it helps cut down on vibrations from wind on longer exposures (Stars etc) Can't be any worse than lugging around a telescope with it

I figure if the lesser of the two tripods doesn't work for me, I'll be using it with some Binoculars.

The weight seems to add up pretty fast though
Attachment Attached File

+

+
Attachment Attached File

My goal is to get something like this:

I don't know what's worse right now, the weather or USPS Shipping. I'd have to travel to get the Milky way.

But right now I'm dying to get the Orion Nebula with a 60s+ exposure. This was taken with multiple 3 second exposures stacked with no star tracker, with a canon eos t3i rebel on a crappy Amazon Basics Tripod. Kinda nuts I can get this in my own backyard even with some light pollution.

I'm definitely excited to upgrade down the road. Also looking forward to the whole Saturn/Jupiter thing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
That Sears is a rebranded Velbon, I have owned several. They’re not exactly what I’d call sturdy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That Sears is a rebranded Velbon, I have owned several. They’re not exactly what I’d call sturdy.
View Quote

Bummer, Tripod #2 is lighter than I hoped but doesn't seem bad.

I just figured a 5lb metal tripod would be a better option than many of the 2.5lb chinesium alloy/plastic ones out there

The sears is still MIA do I have no way to really know  if it will work for me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bummer, Tripod #2 is lighter than I hoped but doesn't seem bad.

I just figured a 5lb metal tripod would be a better option than many of the 2.5lb chinesium alloy/plastic ones out there

The sears is still MIA do I have no way to really know  if it will work for me.
View Quote

If you want solid, find an old Gitzo No. 2 or 3. They’re amazing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, have you haunted the B&H used web site? Or Craigslist? Ebay?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top