Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2022 7:51:27 AM EDT
My father had one of these while I was growing up. It was this cool looking huge silver contraption with big dials and tons of buttons to push. To me it was the control center of a spaceship as well as a device that could “tune into Tokyo”. Connected to it was a set of Acoustic Research 12” speakers, a Teac tape deck and a Dual record player. When I was about 13 or so he upgraded to a new surround sound unit that added speakers all around us. It was the latest and greatest. We built speaker cabinets together using Audio Concept, Dynaudio, Seas and Focal parts. He would build the cabinets and crossover boards. It was a good time back then and I really didn’t know how much I would learn being part of that process. The old Sansui and other components eventually made their way into the garage for storage. I had always figured that I would someday get them when he got older

This past year he passed. Prior to that, my niece who was about 16-17 at the time was showing interest in playing records and stuff so aparently he took her to the garage and let her have the old stereo equipment. I had no idea he gave it to her. When I found out, it was a huge blow. There are so many memories of my father surrounding that stereo that I would love to be able to keep near to me. Over this past Christmas break, she was home from school, I asked her about the stereo, which had up to this point, been at my sisters house. I asked her if I could borrow it while she was still in school and she told me she had intended to take her stuff back with her when she left, including the stereo. I don’t know why, but that hit me in the gut again. I talked to my mom about my dad giving her the stereo and she confirmed that it was legit. I think my dad had just forgot that I had wanted this stuff all along.

So I am now on a search to rebuild my dads stereo system. I have already found the Dual 704 record player. I have a set of speakers he and I built together with 2 AC 8” and a tweeter in each cabinet. It came in a kit back then. I’m now looking for a replacement Sansui stereo but those on eBay are either super expensive or rebuilt. I’m not sure if I trust rebuilt or not. If anyone has any experience with rebuilt vintage stereo stuff please let me know if it is worth it or if anyone knows of a Sansui for sale, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks for reading. I haven’t really thrown my thoughts together before regarding this issue and it really helped to lay it out here. Thanks for listening.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay in contact with the "JUST AUDIO" shop. They recently had a Sansui G8000 reciever for sale. This shop takes in vintage stuff; repairs/refurbishes them, and puts them up for sale.

Link to G8000 video

or go to tapeheads.net and check in with the poster named "Pacific Stereo" He refurbishes a lot of stuff.

Also, use one of the nationwide Craigslist search engines to hunt for that unit. There are still good repair shops scattered around the country too.

PS: Yes, eBay has gotten STUPID expensive on old stereo gear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Another approach is to offer to upgrade the niece's stereo system in order to get back the original stuff.

PPS: Wish I had my old Sansui 8080DB back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another approach is to offer to upgrade the niece's stereo system in order to get back the original stuff.

View Quote

This is probably the most affordable option
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She doesn’t want to give it up. Says it’s the only thing she has of her grandpa’s.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:58:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

She doesn’t want to give it up. Says it’s the only thing she has of her grandpa’s.
View Quote

In that case, set search notifications on eBay, and local classifieds apps. Make an account on audiokarma forums and post a WTB. Find any vintage audio shops locally and let them know to contact you if they get one. Be prepared to wait months.

I eventually gave up my desire to own a Nakamichi Dragon deck. Its too much hassle, money for a toy I'll barely use.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If anyone has any experience with rebuilt vintage stereo stuff please let me know if it is worth it or if anyone knows of a Sansui for sale, I would really appreciate it.
View Quote

Any type of audio equipment from the 70's is going to benefit from being rebuilt. If it is done right. Unfortunately it is hit and miss when you are buying something that is already rebuilt. You might get a do it yourselfer that did a fantastic job. You might get one that came out of a repair shop that didn't know and/or care what they were doing. Check Facebook for vintage audio groups in your area and ask who they recommend in your area. Someone in a group like that might even know where you can get a G 7000.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In that case, set search notifications on eBay, and local classifieds apps. Make an account on audiokarma forums and post a WTB. Find any vintage audio shops locally and let them know to contact you if they get one. Be prepared to wait months.

I eventually gave up my desire to own a Nakamichi Dragon deck. Its too much hassle, money for a toy I'll barely use.
View Quote
Speaking as an amateur, what made Dragon decks so good? I've never heard one played so I can only assume they were quality based on current prices. Were they better than Tandberg?
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Check with my friend Eric at Gig Harbor Audio, he gets tons of sansui and other vintage gear, and has a guy that can go thru them, good people, he ships all over the world

I see a few Sansui's listed now.

I have 3 sansui receivers(forget the models) and a few amps...one is very sought after..it's 80lbs. I am currently just running one in my office.  i like the sansui sound, but prefer Marantz of the same vintage better...probably because that's what I grew up with.  

https://www.gigharboraudio.com/used-gear
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies, Still keeping an eye out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top