Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/17/2022 8:08:38 PM EDT
Growing up in the 80's, I spent many an hour looking over Solider of Fortune and Guns and Ammo magazines, deciding on what all to buy once I actually had any money, and could buy a gun.  

I always liked this Cold Steel ad, where some dudes are playing poker by looks of it, and Cold Steel tanto is there to save the day for the guy in the sport coat.

When I finally had some money, early 90's, I started buying and collecting Cold Steel stuff, and have a decent collection by now.  I'll post pictures of what I have in this topic, and feel free to add your own pictures of vintage, Japan or Carbon V era CS stuff.

Here's the first Cold Steel knife I bought, a magnum tanto, with a 9 inch blade.  Cost I think 120 bucks in 1990, which was about 1/6th of a month's take home pay as an E-3 in the Army.  Beautiful knife.  Thought about packing it along with me to Saudi Arabia, but bought an SRK instead.

Attachment Attached File

Here's the SRK.  This is one of the first generation ones, where the blade is parkerized , as the later ones had an epoxy coating to them.  This is the one I took over for fun and games in the desert, and while re-installing the Emir of Kuwait back onto his throne, this knife opened many an MRE and ammo pallet.  

Attachment Attached File

When I got back, I used some of my 100 dollar a month combat pay I'd earned, and bought this push dagger, the Terminator!  Same one that was used in Platoon, though I had fewer scars than Tom Berringer, and would have actually used it on Charline Sheen:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't remember what I bought next, so the rest of my collection will be in no particular time order.

Let's go with tantos for now, the heart of the Cold Steel knives.

This beauty was my next tanto - an early model, when most still had the brass hardware.  I read later this was a special run for a knife catalog company, and is called the Special Ops Tanto.  Has a serial number on it.

Attachment Attached File

The Recon Tanto is a 7' tanto, in Carbon V.  The early models had a fabric sheath like this one.  Bought this one used, but it's never even had the handle wrapper taken off.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I kept a LTC Kukri behind one of the outer pockets of my ALICE. It got extensive use clearing fields of fire for the gun. Sadly I donated it. to my successor when I ETSd. I wish I had kept it.

I currently have a Recon Tanto in my vehicle and a few just laying around. There is also a push blade, shovel and a few tomahawks around.

Non-vintage pic I have handy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Sold one of the Recon Tantos along with a trainer version while trying to raise funds for a down payment on some land.  Great knife which I never used on anything beside as an envelope opener.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome collection and history man. I really dig that vintage ad.

I loved Cold Steel as a kid - and as a big kid now I still do.

When I was 16, I got hit by a car in a crosswalk. EMT is loading me into the bus, looks down at my belt buckle - "what the fuck?" Still had my Cold Steel Spike mounted horizontal across the buckle, secured by the pants loops and some rubber bands

It was one of the OG models, when they were made of 1/4" stock.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When I was 16, I got hit by a car in a crosswalk. EMT is loading me into the bus, looks down at my belt buckle - "what the fuck?" Still had my Cold Steel Spike mounted horizontal across the buckle, secured by the pants loops and some rubber bands

https://images.ontheedgebrands.com/cdn-cgi/image/f=auto,height=1000,width=1000,quality=75/images/A17-CS53CC.jpg
View Quote
My brother used to keep one of those in his truck. Hanging off the mirror.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Needing a post by itself, is the pride of my collection, an Imperial Tanto.

There were supposed to be I believe 1000 of these made, but CS only made 500 is what I've read, as they were expensive even back in the day, and were not big sellers.

It's a knife that would look at home under glass in a museum.  A gorgeous artwork of steel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I still have the DVDs in which I believe the gentleman's name is Lynn Thomas would slice up meat with samurai swords in his videos.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Cold Steel.
Over the top AWESOMENESS!
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I kept a LTC Kukri behind one of the outer pockets of my ALICE. It got extensive use clearing fields of fire for the gun. Sadly I donated it. to my successor when I ETSd. I wish I had kept it.

I currently have a Recon Tanto in my vehicle and a few just laying around. There is also a push blade, shovel and a few tomahawks around.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/358054/Tomahawk-2469128.jpg
View Quote

Mine are SOG not Cold Steel, but a three pack of throwing tomahawks is some of the best frivolous spending I have done.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/358054/Tomahawk-2469128.jpg
View Quote

The LTC is a great knife.  I have one and will post a picture of it.  

The Recon Tanto is about the perfect military knife.  Nasty looking, super sharp and easy to re-sharpen, well balanced, and maintenance free.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to like their catalogs a lot also.  Traded a 22 revolver for a voyager that I still have .  This was in the 90s and the 22 was cheap.  I always wanted the Gunsite version.  This was pre internet when we could only look at paper ads.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 3 Ventura CA made SRK’s and 2 Trail Masters that have a lot of hard use between them all.  Great blades.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://images.ontheedgebrands.com/cdn-cgi/image/f=auto,height=1000,width=1000,quality=75/images/A17-CS53CC.jpg
View Quote

I have one of those, the Tokyo spike:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There were supposed to be I believe 1000 of these made, but CS only made 500 is what I've read, as they were expensive even back in the day, and were not big sellers.

It's a knife that would look at home under glass in a museum.  A gorgeous artwork of steel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__1_jpg-2493020.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__2_jpg-2493025.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__3_jpg-2493026.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__4_jpg-2493027.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__5_jpg-2493030.JPG

View Quote

Awesome! I didn't know CS made something like that. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember seeing Cold Steel advertisements in 80s magazines.

Showed that very knife you have penetrating a car hood or door.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I still have the DVDs in which I believe the gentleman's name is Lynn Thomas would slice up meat with samurai swords in his videos.
View Quote

Yep, first ones were on VHS, forget what they were called, the Proof or some such.  Lynn would slice and stab and chop up various cuts of meat, thick ropes, bamboo poles, etc.  

It was a bit wincing at time, but fact was their early stuff could slice and dice in a way that other knives of the time could not.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used to like their catalogs a lot also.  Traded a 22 revolver for a voyager that I still have .  This was in the 90s and the 22 was cheap.  I always wanted the Gunsite version.  This was pre internet when we could only look at paper ads.
View Quote

Gunsite you say?

Extra large folder, with 5" blade:

Attachment Attached File

and large with 4" blade:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Awesome! I didn't know CS made something like that. Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

The really rare one is the Imperial Tai Pan.  They only made I think 250 out of a planned 500, for the same cost and demand reasons as the Imperial Tanto.  They go for about $1500 bucks now, and I have my eye out for one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I remember seeing Cold Steel advertisements in 80s magazines.

Showed that very knife you have penetrating a car hood or door.
View Quote

Yeah, they showed it stabbed into a car door, then a shot of the blade, undamaged.  The CS line were one of the first to have the tanto reinforced point for wide sale in the US.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice! I think I'm at 2 SRKs, 2 SRK Compacts, a Mini Pendleton Hunter, 5 tomahawks, 2 axes, 2 XL Voyagers, two of the older 3" Recon 1's (had one in each blade shape, gave one to my brother, the handles don't fit me), a Bushman and one of the cheap tantos. None vintage though. I've had an SRK on my belt working in my yard today, crossdraw and slightly tipped up, with a Glock 48 at 3 o'clock. The SRK Compacts are nice, I need to strip mine and get a patina going.

Attachment Attached File

Any suggestions on pancake kydex sheathes for the SRK and Compact? Most of mine are pretty weak. I cut one of my Trail Hawks down to 14", wrapped the handle, bought the OEM sheath and have it in my passenger seat's rear pocket.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a really nice Japanese cold Steel tanto.
I got a good deal because the leather sheath had a mark on it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I have an old SRK carbon V...road around in the glovebox of my off road buggy....
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#28]
The Magnum Tanto II, is a 7-1/2" bladed version, with an oval handguard:

Attachment Attached File

To round out the tantos, I bought a brass fitting model this year.  So now all I need is a sportcoat, and I'm ready for anything that may come at me in a poker game.

Attachment Attached File

The tantos:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#29]
No Pentagon?

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Recon Tanto is a 7' tanto, in Carbon V.  The early models had a fabric sheath like this one.  Bought this one used, but it's never even had the handle wrapper taken off.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Recon_Tanto___13RT_jpg-2493015.JPG

View Quote

I've got one of those in storage. The cordura/cardboard sheath is next to worthless after a few years in a humid climate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I can not hold on to CS knives. They are usually things I carry and eventually someone looks at it with puppy dog eyes and I give it away.

The only one I've kept is an Urban Dart... and that's just because I've never carried it.

-edit-
Had a terminator. Traded for some patches at a funshow.
Had an AUS8 Japan tanto from the 1980s - Gave to a friend after he commented on how I wasn't giving it the care it deserved
Gave a sanmai SRK to someone headed to parts unknown
Gave away a bunch of the neck knives that had been laser engraved to friends as stocking stuffers
Had one of the high polish Japan SOG bowies... Think that one got traded for a Takedown Browning .22 that I still have
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

They were known as 'Solid Proof' and theres a ton of clips on basically every model they've ever made on Youtube now.

One at random:

Cold Steel Recon Scout Knife: Demonstration & Review

Cold Steel Laredo Bowie Knife: Demonstration & Review, pt 1
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No Pentagon?

View Quote

What is the Pentagon?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can not hold on to CS knives. They are usually things I carry and eventually someone looks at it with puppy dog eyes and I give it away.

The only one I've kept is an Urban Dart... and that's just because I've never carried it.
View Quote

The Urban Dart is a decently rare and expensive model.  I read that they were more difficult to make than expected, so only a limited number were made.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__1_jpg-2493020.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__2_jpg-2493025.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__3_jpg-2493026.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__4_jpg-2493027.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Imperial_Tanto__5_jpg-2493030.JPG

View Quote

That is a knife of dreams!
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread takes me back and makes me smile, thanks to all who've posted.  I remember the DVDs from the late 90s.  

I am coming up on 20 years of carrying a Cold Steel Nightforce (what an 80s name) nearly every day.  It was a Christmas gift from Mrs. C long before we were married, which was a pretty strong hint that she was a keeper.   The knife has been absolutely fantastic.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I had one of the Cold VG1 San Mai III Outdoorsman knives. I sold it and wish I hadn’t.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#38]
An eailer model of the Terminator was the Urban Skinner:

Attachment Attached File

Later on, the push dagger line became the Safe Keeper.  This one is from Taiwan, so not true vintage, but awesome the same.  

Attachment Attached File

The Desperado is a wicked looking knife.  It has the curved and serrated blade from their Vaquero line, with a push dagger style handle.  This one is from Taiwan.  Some were made in Japan, and are really rare.

Attachment Attached File

Push dagger collection:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Urban Dart is a decently rare and expensive model.  I read that they were more difficult to make than expected, so only a limited number were made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's weird. No comfortable way to carry it and the sheath isn't the most secure thing. It also doesn't lend itself to basic cutting stuff because the edge is single bevel on a kinda large triangle blade.
It's basically a highly specialized stabby thing that can slice in extremis.  

It's also so cool (Yes I'm Peter Pan) I don't want to sell it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Need to find myself an Urban Dart.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I had one of the Cold VG1 San Mai III Outdoorsman knives. I sold it and wish I hadn’t.
View Quote

Here's mine.  It's in great shape, but doesn't have the original sheath.  I read they were made for California, which apparently had some stupid law, even then, about tanto edges.

Attachment Attached File

The mini is a smaller sized version of it.

Attachment Attached File

Outdoorsman collection:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#42]

You see them from time to time on Ebay.  They go for 200-300 bucks.  I read that CS had to have them made using a much larger piece of steel then grind them down, leading to the high selling price.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#43]
A friend of mine was a dealer and got me dealer pricing around the late 90's to early 2000's. I've got an original run UWK in my bug out bag,  a trench hawk in my camping stuff,  a brave heart on my belt, some training wasters (rubber knives and polycarbonate swords),  and a hand-and-a-half sword on my livingroom wall.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Here's mine.  It's in great shape, but doesn't have the original sheath.  I read they were made for California, which apparently had some stupid law, even then, about tanto edges.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Outdoorsman___18H_jpg-2493116.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Mini_Outdoorsman___18CS_jpg-2493119.JPG

Outdoorsman collection:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Outdoorsmen_jpg-2493122.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Outdoorsman___18H_jpg-2493116.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Mini_Outdoorsman___18CS_jpg-2493119.JPG

Outdoorsman collection:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Outdoorsmen_jpg-2493122.JPG

Very cool. I liked the curved blade more than a tanto anyway.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Can't remember what I bought next, so the rest of my collection will be in no particular time order.

Let's go with tantos for now, the heart of the Cold Steel knives.

This beauty was my next tanto - an early model, when most still had the brass hardware.  I read later this was a special run for a knife catalog company, and is called the Special Ops Tanto.  Has a serial number on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Special_Ops_Tanto___13_jpg-2493011.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105421/Recon_Tanto___13RT_jpg-2493015.JPG

View Quote
I had one of those brass hilted early CS tantos, identical to the one on top. Think I paid $90 for it at a gun show back in 07-08'.

I was an idiot for selling it, great little knife.

The thing with Cold Steel is if they have something cool you better buy two right now because they love to bring stuff out and then immediately discontinue it and then it sells for double what it did originally on eBay a few years down the road. Still trying to wheedle my buddy's Vaquero Grande away from him after I lost mine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#47]

It's neat looking at the old catalogs.  I'd like to go back and order one of everything they had in them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread makes me want to impulse buy a trail master.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Plenty more pics to come, but as I often ponder, what's left to get?

I have 3 kukris, but I don't have a non-coated version, with the nice polished steel finish.  They were very expensive for CS to make, and were 400 bucks or such even back in the day.

I'd like to pick up one of CS's pre-tanto blades.  Their first items were an all metal, no rubber, key chain style push knife.  They also made something similar, that was more of a Delta Dart sticking knife.

Imperial Tai Pan is on my list too, if I can get over the grand and a half price!

The Bush Ranger is an outdoorsman style knife, that has a nice feel to it despite being big.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top