Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2021 9:52:51 PM EDT
I've never messed with the video stuff on my Nikons.   Was never really interested in it.   But now, with the addition of the Z6 to my war fleet, wanting to get into it a bit.

Gonna use my D780 and Sigma 120-300mm lens for pics, and the Z6 and........something for video and short range work.   Lenses I have in the arsenal for short range work are a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, and my all time fav lens, my Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2.

Any suggestions?    Really don't know where to to start, but in all honesty, the Z6 seems to make it pretty easy for video stuff.    I just started playing around with it, and am pretty happy how things are going.

The slow mo stuff is cool, too.  

Trying to think of the best times to switch to video.   When I have a good feeling the running back is gonna come towards me?   Goal line trying to punch it in?   QB passing?

Gonna be a great year, as the kids went to the final dance back in January, but got beat by a couple td's.   All the backs are coming back  minus one, and most of the line.  (#79 is a cousin of mine)

Here's a couple pics at their last playoff game before they went to State.

Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Those FX cameras are really good sharp. I can't get that from my D7500, but then I don't have lug around huge tele lenses.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those FX cameras are really good sharp. I can't get that from my D7500, but then I don't have lug around huge tele lenses.
View Quote

As u can see, their last playoff game was in the daytime, so one didn't have to push the ISO.   But those pics were with my D750 and trusty Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2 lens.   I really like that setup cause' it's light to carry around AND not unGodly big.   Those pics r heavily cropped, since 200mm just doesn't reach out very far.

I had a D7500 a couple years ago.   Really liked it, but the D750 is a big step up.   Low light performance and image quality from my experience is much better.   Only thing "bad" about the D750 is the small buffer.   D750 is an amazing camera.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
vmax84: As for when to start doing the videos, you will have to just learn from experience, and just do what works and doesn't work for you. Everyone's brain and camera equipment is a bit different.

I am around HS football, but I am a "band dad," I do half-time field shows;  things for me don't move quite as fast, this is where your D780 really shines in those fast action shots which also requires fairly high ISOs.

BTW have you thought about getting one of those super fast SD cards so to empty the buffer faster? They are pretty pricey, but your case it will be well worth it.

Our local marching band is really good, the football team's record is a bit erratic, but they are not that bad. The football team made to the semi-finals a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As u can see, their last playoff game was in the daytime, so one didn't have to push the ISO.   But those pics were with my D750 and trusty Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2 lens.   I really like that setup cause' it's light to carry around AND not unGodly big.   Those pics r heavily cropped, since 200mm just doesn't reach out very far.

I had a D7500 a couple years ago.   Really liked it, but the D750 is a big step up.   Low light performance and image quality from my experience is much better.   Only thing "bad" about the D750 is the small buffer.   D750 is an amazing camera.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did notice my Z6 buffer fills up quicker than my D780 (D780 buffer is great!!), but then again, it only has one card, and I'm writing both jpeg and raw to one card.   The Z6 is still better than my D750, tho, by quite a bit.  

The video stuff I"ve been messing with quite a bit lately, and as u pointed out, I just had to find what works for me and am quite pleased with my results so far.   It's pretty easy and I think the few videos I do take at the games will be pretty good.   Really looking forward to trying out the slo-motion, too.  

Like I said, i really liked my D750.   Other than the fairly small buffer, about the only other thing that bugged me was getting the white balance right.   I would leave it in automatic, and the colors were just not quite right.   Have noticed both my Z6 and D780 seem to do much better with auto white balance.

Here's a typical pic with the white balance dinked up with the D750.   But I have to give credit to the D750 with everything else, as our home field is natural turf and the lighting is from the 1950's......horrible lack of light and the turf soaks up what little light there is.   The good high ISO with the D750 was much needed, and, it did pretty darn good.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top