Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2023 3:47:37 PM EDT
Paid $5 at a yard sale. What’s this worth with the Lens on eBay or fb ?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The AE-1 was a budget camera when they were new. You might get $50 - $100 for it if you can find somebody that wants one. I had a minty Canon FTb that I couldn't give away. I couldn't even pawn it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fish223] [#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
They weren't bad, I've got three A-1 bodies, lenses, motor drives, etc. kicking around somewhere. Those were a step up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
For some reason AE-1s are the darlings of the cool kids right now.  Over $100.   Lens?  Less than $20.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably worth about $5.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
How much does it cost to develop a roll of film now?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
That brings back fond memories. My daughter used mine for photo class in high school a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]
clean it up, make sure it works....
Ebay sample for a AE1-PROGRAM -
I have a minty black body AE1-P and it is an awesome camera.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
View Quote

$14 with scans where I go.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 5:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blueheeler426] [#10]
Thats my current camera; not joking. lol    
Looking to upgrade.  
Dumb question; would the older Canon lenses (bayonet?) be compatible or work on a new modern camera?
Would there be any good reason to keep it vs. selling it and upgrading to a better DSLR?
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 5:19:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blueheeler426] [#11]
pc malfunction
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 4:07:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#12]
Originally Posted By blueheeler426:
Thats my current camera; not joking. lol    
Looking to upgrade.  
Dumb question; would the older Canon lenses (bayonet?) be compatible or work on a new modern camera?
Would there be any good reason to keep it vs. selling it and upgrading to a better DSLR?
View Quote
I THINK, the newer Canon lenses are not compatible with the older cameras, this is where Canon, "bite the bullet" and developed a new, more modern bayonet system. Now most current Nikon bodies will mount older Nikon lenses, but you do lose some automation in the process. Today Nikon is hamstrung by it's old technology
F-mount, and why today's Nikon Z-mount is monstrous compared to the old F-mount. Do your own research before committing funds to your project, speak to experts at K&H etc.

ETA: I just gave away my ancient by still useable Minolta SLR SRT-101 and a TLR Mamiya 6x6cm 120 roll film camera.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
View Quote

Developer is about $20-$30 which will do about 30 rolls of film if you are careful with it.  Give or take for the type of developer and maker.  I develop using D76 for black and white, C41 I use a few different kits and get around 25 rolls out of it, and I just started developing in E6 so I don't have a roll count on that one yet.  

I do all of my own developing at home.  I love doing it myself.  The initial cost to set up is about $120-$150 for a small production kit set up with all the containers and such.

After that, it's just restocking your developers for your film when you need to do it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]

There are other places that deal in film cameras but these guys are still my go-to's. KEH.com. Here's a link to Canon.

https://www.keh.com/shop/cameras/film-cameras/canon.html

I have several. I like film. LOL. They're fine cameras. It uses FD lenses, not the later EF. It's shutter priority or manual. I like my A-1 better, but nothing wrong with an AE-1. Two things to check; battery compartment isn't crudded up and no "squeak" when the shutter works. That squeak comes from the mechanism up top by the prism. If it squeaks, it needs proper lubrication by a PROPER tech. If it locks, a tech can fix it easy so it's not that big a deal. It might need the seals redone but I've bought enough film cameras at yard sales or estate sales that've been in a closet twenty-something years that worked great once the dust was off and a new battery.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I sold this one for 100 bucks to a coworker who gave it to his wife.  She loves it and takes some very nice pictures with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top