Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2021 2:14:41 PM EDT
I have an early 80's Canon AE-1 (not the "program" model) a number of Canon and Vivitar lenses and a Vivitar flash. Also an "auto winder" (slower than a motor drive). And some Cokin filters/filter holder

Is there any intrinsic value to any of this stuff anymore? I think the lenses were called "FD Series".

Haven't used any of this stuff in decades its in a large Domke bag in the closet.

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
check ebay for values but probably not much

looks like $40 to $100 for the body
up to $450 with lots of lenses etc and in good to great condition
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have an early 80's Canon AE-1 (not the "program" model) a number of Canon and Vivitar lenses and a Vivitar flash. Also an "auto winder" (slower than a motor drive). And some Cokin filters/filter holder

Is there any intrinsic value to any of this stuff anymore? I think the lenses were called "FD Series".

Haven't used any of this stuff in decades its in a large Domke bag in the closet.
View Quote
I sold a similar vintage AE-1 back in 2016 (body, couple kit lenses, film winder, case, cable release, flash, maybe a couple other small accessories) and I think the final eBay auction price was less than $150.

The one thing working in your favor is the increased interest in film photography in the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You may get more for lenses individually since some fd stuff is sought after by mirrorless shooters
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You may get more for lenses individually since some fd stuff is sought after by mirrorless shooters
View Quote

This.
Many of Canon's FD lenses were pretty nice, obviously not the run of the mill kit lenses, but many nice teles and wide angles.
Also the whole rig has some value for beginning photo students who will be shooting/developing b&w... although those programs are fewer and farther between nowadays.
KEH has a decent website listing used FD lenses and camera bodies for sale. Can give you an idea of retail resale price ranges.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I think film is more of a niche market but there is definitely a market for the AE-1.  I just retired my Minolta and have been looking at the AE-1 for film. There’s an ad on CL in Phoenix for a body at $35 but I’d think if yours was in good shape, you get more than that.  Now, the lenses could be anywhere from dirt cheap to good money. For example, a FDn 50mm in f1.4 would be desired far more than the 1.8. The 35mm f1.2 and the 85mm f1.2 are sought out. Seems like a lot of the Canon flashes on the popular auction site don’t bring much though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#6]
2 years ago I bought a Canon A-1 on eBay for 50 dollars.  The one I’d had since 1981 finally took a dump.
I still have several good lenses. I like to shoot slide film.
As the poster above mentioned most good Fd lenses are worth mor than the bodies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top