Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2019 10:41:45 AM EDT
So I got a new laptop and a docking station that does work.  I was able to test the docking station and it works well except with the main thing that I bought it for.  I have 2 scepter monitors that have VGA hookups.  I purchased VGA to HDMI adapter to plug into the docking station and I cant get anything to work.  What am I doing wrong?  Does VGA to HDMI not work?  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
What type of laptop and docking station?

Have you checked Device Manager to see if you have any issues with display adapters?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
its a hp pavilion 15 brand new laptop  and a hiearcool docking station purchased from amazon

compatible for windows 10
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I got a new laptop and a docking station that does work.  I was able to test the docking station and it works well except with the main thing that I bought it for.  I have 2 scepter monitors that have VGA hookups.  I purchased VGA to HDMI adapter to plug into the docking station and I cant get anything to work.  What am I doing wrong?  Does VGA to HDMI not work?  Thanks guys!
View Quote
This is what I read:  You have two Scepter monitors that have VGA.  You purchased a VGA to HDMI adapter.

Does the dock have VGA or HDMI?  If the two Scepters have VGA, wouldn't you require an HDMI to VGA?
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Dock has HDMI.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
First, if you have a monitor with HDMI inputs, plug it into the docking station to make sure that the ports work - it is possible that the driver or other software are not working correctly and the dock isn't passing video at all.

Second, it is possible that your dock has a low power HDMI port, which needs a converter designed for low power ports, such as this one.  You didn't specify what exact model of dock you have, but if it is listed as "green" then it is probably a low power system intended only for use with monitors - it won't provide the power needed to run a "standard" converter.  Devices such as the PS4, mac mini, and others have low power ports and need devices intended to operate with them.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are specific and one-way.

You need HDMI(source) to VGA(monitor) not VGA  (source) to HDMI (monitor).

Amazon Product
  • COMPACT DESIGN - The compact-designed portable Benfei HDMI to VGA adapter connects a computer, desktop, laptop, or other devices with HDMI port to a monitor, projector, HDTV, or other devices with VGA port; Tuck this lightweight gadget into your bag or pocket to do a business presentation with your laptop and projector, or extend your desktop screen to a monitor or TV; A VGA cable is required.
  • SUPERIOR STABILITY - Built-in advanced IC chip converts HDMI digital signal to VGA analog signal; It is NOT a bi-directional converter and cannot transmit signals from VGA to HDMI
  • INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE - The HDMI male to VGA female converter supports resolutions up to 1920x1080@60Hz (1080p Full HD) including 720p, 1600x1200, 1280x1024 for high definition monitors or projectors; Gold plated HDMI connector resists corrosion and abrasion and improve the signal transmission performance; Molded strain relief increases cable durability

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6XXTH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Never embedded before...….flame me later.  This is what I got.  I cant tell if it is source to monitor.  Little help?  Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6XXTH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Never embedded before...….flame me later.  This is what I got.  I cant tell if it is source to monitor.  Little help?  Thanks!!!
View Quote
That should convert HDMI (dock/output) to VGA input
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#9]
So technically I have the right thing?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So technically I have the right thing?
View Quote
If that's what you picked up.  If you have VGA only monitors its probably time to upgrade secondary screens, newer, brighter, bigger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top