Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2021 12:10:32 PM EDT
I retired back in October and just received my rating for my service connected disabilities.  Most of it is pretty cut and dry, 10% ratings for various joints with loss of range of motion put me at 40%.  But the biggest issue I had in the service (IBS) was rated at 0% and I would like to appeal it as there is a substantial history and I believe my condition probably falls into the severe condition and that my medical records should substantiate that.  

My question is what is the best way to file the appeal?  My research seems to say that i should file for a "higher level review".  The forms seem pretty cut and dry, should I seek help on this one from an advocate or just fill it out and send it?  Is there anything else I am should be doing?  Should I file this review for the one condition or put everything with a 0% rating on there as well?

-Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
When I applied I contacted the local VA and made an appointment with a counselor.  He was very helpful.  Maybe look into seeing a benefits counselor at the nearest VA facility or AD base.  They might have good advice before you submit your appeal.  

You might get additional medical exams, documents, and Dr. opinions on your condition and how it affects your life to strengthen your appeal.

Best of Luck
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
If you’re not roped into them yet, get with WWP and have them run offense on this.

They’re tuned into the games the VA plays and can make sure you’re properly taken care of.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is that without new information, a Higher Level Review is your only option. Definitely get help from a VSO
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, Ill hold off on doing it myself and go through an advocate.  

I worked with the DAV for my original claim, should I stick with them or contact WWP or a VA benefits advisor as you guys were discussing?

-Mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mjmjr1312:
Thanks, Ill hold off on doing it myself and go through an advocate.  

I worked with the DAV for my original claim, should I stick with them or contact WWP or a VA benefits advisor as you guys were discussing?

-Mike
View Quote

DAV is usually pretty good. I'm not sure if WWP uses them or has their own folks.

I wouldn't think using in-house sources (VA employed) would be a good idea.

Might want to reach out to WWP and ask if they recommend you stick with DAV or use their resources.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have always had great luck having DAV help me with changes in my disability ratings. The last time I requested a change in my rating was 2005. It took until 2007 for it to increase because the VA was waiting to see what Social Security was going to do and visa versa. Once I successfully appealed Social Security, the VA raised my rating to 100% within 30 days.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I was surprised when I put in to change my rating this past December. Took 4 months to get all the doctor appointments in but 2 weeks after my last doctor visit I got my change. 40% to 70%. To be honest I never gave the VA a thought after I got the 40% in 1997. Guess I will check out the clinic and see how it has changed. Been 23 years since I been in one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#8]
A VSO is invaluable. They get the ins and outs of VA decisions and the best approaches to getting you what you deserve.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I need to revisit mine and try to go from 80 to 100.

Not the easiest thing to do consider near Chinese math
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cav-Gunner:
I need to revisit mine and try to go from 80 to 100.

Not the easiest thing to do consider near Chinese math
View Quote

Depends on what's going on. The easiest way to increase SC% is getting an existing disability reevaluated. Adding disabilities is so freakin incremental that I've seen folks with 240% in added disabilities, but only count as 90%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top