Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2020 12:48:18 PM EDT
Do you think this means that the retirees previous department has to offer a qualification for LEOSA?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They are requiring retired officers to qualify annually so that they can carry under LEOSA.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are requiring retired officers to qualify annually so that they can carry under LEOSA.
View Quote
That I get, I'm more wondering "shall" have the opportunity.....

It also states Chief LEO signs off on it.

Question is, who provides the qualification?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it means you have to qualify to an accepted standard annually.

As a retired military LEO under LEOSA, my card is only valid if I have a current training certificate issued from an agency within the Commonwealth.

ETA - I simply coordinate and shoot at one of the local department's range days to get my cert to carry under LEOSA.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think it means you have to qualify to an accepted standard annually.

As a retired military LEO under LEOSA, my card is only valid if I have a current training certificate issued from an agency within the Commonwealth.

ETA - I simply coordinate and shoot at one of the local department's range days to get my cert to carry under LEOSA.
View Quote
Yeah, I qualified at my old department in the middle of December.  Been told that the chief hasn't signed off on the retired guys quals yet.

Kind of pissing me off but dont want to press the issue if they do it as a courtesy and are not required to.

I didn't think they were required but I keep reading the above code.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. They are basically just re-stating the federal law and codifying it into state law it appears. Which is interesting because I’m a federal agent and when I retire In a few years I have to spend my own money to get qualified every year to stay in compliance. I can’t even go to quarterly firearms qualifications with my former agency even if I pay for the ammo and everything and just show up. But whatever it’s worth the effort.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]
VSP has a retiree range, just check the web site for the dates of the Division closest to you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 2:31:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Just to update.

Picked up my card today.

Next year I'll have to do it all over again...lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top