Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2020 2:10:34 PM EDT
I am thinking of using my TSP - .gov 401k to pay off my land mortgage.

Current Mortgage at 3.79%, 15 year fixed @ $600/month... Balance $35k - worth $70k +,

We have had the land for 5 years, it does not have a home on it and we will be building our dream home. 11 acres on a creek - 10 minutes from work, no HOA etc.  I am there every day tending to the garden and animals.  We already have the lot cleared and house plans picked out. Once our home is built on the land we would either sell or rent the house we are living in now.  

The TSP Loan would be at 0.75% interest re-payed over 5 years at a monthly payment of $285/mo. Current total in TSP is $100k.  Currently contribute 10% of salary to the Roth TSP, most of my current TSP is in traditional unfortunately.  

We are currently living 5 minutes away in a nice home we recently purchased for $100k ... appraised at $180k.   Heavy military presence in the area so selling or renting is feasible.  Could rent the home we are living in now for about $700-900 more than the mortgage payment (30 year fixed @ 4.3%)

Annual income is $85k, wife is stay at home mom, ages are early 30s.  Wife expects to go to work part time in the next few months as a real estate agent. My job is secure, family is within an hour and we have good neighbors.

The other option is to just pay it down over time with wife's extra income once she starts working OR use a HELOC or refinance our current house to pay off the land.  Once the land is paid off we would then use that as our down payment of more than 20% to do the construction loan   (Main purpose of paying it off).  

No car payments, but i do have $10k in 0% credit card debt form current home renovation with balance due May 2021. $22k in cash and about $8k in a separate vanguard account.

What says the hive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
pay off your credit cards, and let your 401k grow
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the benefit of doing this in your mind?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jmo371:
pay off your credit cards, and let your 401k grow
View Quote

This is the advice I would typically tell to someone as well....but I just want to be there and be done with all the temporary living, I am anxious to settle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
What is the benefit of doing this in your mind?
View Quote

The benefit is to finally be at our homestead, where i can spend every afternoon and weekend where we want to be instead of just another temporary solution to living.  We have gone from renting,to living on the property in an RV, to living a few years working/traveling abroad and now we are finally home and I am ready to be where I want to be, Established. Basically I don't want to wait until i am 40.

The reason we bought the current home we are living in is because we had to have a place to live once we returned from overseas. Its nice and fits our needs, but we both know its a stepping stone to being on the land.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BlackDogFarms:

The benefit is to finally be at our homestead, where i can spend every afternoon and weekend where we want to be instead of just another temporary solution to living.  We have gone from renting,to living on the property in an RV, to living a few years working/traveling abroad and now we are finally home and I am ready to be where I want to be, Established. Basically I don't want to wait until i am 40. 

The reason we bought the current home we are living in is because we had to have a place to live once we returned from overseas. Its nice and fits our needs, but we both know its a stepping stone to being on the land. 

View Quote

I just dont see how this makes a difference. You said you are building your home on the property?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]

I just dont see how this makes a difference. You said you are building your home on the property?
View Quote

Once the land is paid for I will use the land as collateral to construct a new home.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]
<--- No Expert

Doing that now would be taking money out of the TSP while it is in a low.  As the market moves up (assuming this will happen as the economy starts opening up) you will miss out on those gains.

Should it go up 5% for those 5 years, you are essentially paying 5.75% interest and not the .75% it appears.  And missing out on the compounding money.

(Again i'm no expert but that is the way I'm seeing it.  Someone smarter than me may be by shortly to correct me I'm sure)
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Tigers1363:
<--- No Expert

Doing that now would be taking money out of the TSP while it is in a low.  As the market moves up (assuming this will happen as the economy starts opening up) you will miss out on those gains.

Should it go up 5% for those 5 years, you are essentially paying 5.75% interest and not the .75% it appears.  And missing out on the compounding money.

(Again i'm no expert but that is the way I'm seeing it.  Someone smarter than me may be by shortly to correct me I'm sure)
View Quote

It's generally wisest to have a "never touch the 401k unless it is a crisis" rule.  I didn't....and it sucks.

A refi on your current house may be an idea, rates are as low as 3% for a cash out.  Really need to spreadsheet it all to see what is best long term (at least for us non experts)
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Another example is that the loan would be used to pay off a physical asset, which also grows in value.  Or let it sit through a crash and lose 30+% like it did in March.  hard to swallow.

I am looking into refinancing as well
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Biggest financial mistake I ever did in my life was cashing out my 401k during the financial crisis of 2008 to buy my home.  

That money is at its lowest value.

10% penalty for early withdrawal.  

The following year you will pay more taxes on that money as income, jump a bracket and you are raped.  

Just don’t do it.

ETA: I would be able to retire now if I had not done that.  Now I have to work till I am 67 to be able to afford retirement.  A house is NOT an appreciating asset.  

Heat pump = $6k
New roof = $11k
Emergency foundation repairs =$21k
Shed = $8k
Shelving = $3k
Lawnmower = $6500
Plus all the other money I sunk into my house that is not worth crap if I sell it.

You have to look at TCO, Total Cost of Ownership.  

Add taxes, insurance, heat, electricity ... etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Well its a loan so I don't pay any penalties. I am obligated to pay it back to myself.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]
See my edits above.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Once the land is paid for I will use the land as collateral to construct a new home. 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I just dont see how this makes a difference. You said you are building your home on the property?

Once the land is paid for I will use the land as collateral to construct a new home. 

Then you AREN'T building your home, you want to.

I'm gonna give you my harsh financial opinion. You are broke as fuck and on the edge but blind to the risk in your situation. Your wants exceed your abilities and you are cash fucking poor. No I don't think you should borrow from your TSP. I understand your wants but there is a reason building dream homes is for rich people.

Your best bet is to cash out your current home now and live with family or in a teepee on the land until you can get financing to build the home worked out.

You are reaching. It might work out and it might not but this is how families lose it all. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Do a construction loan and leave your 401k alone
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Then you AREN'T building your home, you want to. 

I'm gonna give you my harsh financial opinion. You are broke as fuck and on the edge but blind to the risk in your situation. Your wants exceed your abilities and you are cash fucking poor. No I don't think you should borrow from your TSP. I understand your wants but there is a reason building dream homes is for rich people. 

Your best bet is to cash out your current home now and live with family or in a teepee on the land until you can get financing to build the home worked out.

You are reaching. It might work out and it might not but this is how families lose it all. Good luck.
View Quote

I think I am seeing the answer here...save more, suck it up.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jbirdious:
Do a construction loan and leave your 401k alone
View Quote

Yes, I would have to do a construction loan
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Leave your TSP alone as you will miss the gains when it goes up...

Find alternative way...
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:18:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Drawing from a retirement account is extremely short sighted.

Let go of the instant gratification and FOMO mentality and do it the right way.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am thinking of using my TSP - .gov 401k to pay off my land mortgage.
Already I am skeptical.

Current Mortgage at 3.79%, 15 year fixed @ $600/month... Balance $35k - worth $70k +,
3.79 for unimproved land is a great rate.

We have had the land for 5 years, it does not have a home on it and we will be building our dream home. 11 acres on a creek - 10 minutes from work, no HOA etc.  I am there every day tending to the garden and animals.  We already have the lot cleared and house plans picked out. Once our home is built on the land we would either sell or rent the house we are living in now.  
OK, so you have made the basic payments, with no additional payments toward principal? Where are you getting $70k "worth"? Did it appraise for that? Just saying, don't deceive yourself--it has value to you, but who would buy that particular piece of bare land right now?

The TSP Loan would be at 0.75% interest re-payed over 5 years at a monthly payment of $285/mo. Current total in TSP is $100k.  Currently contribute 10% of salary to the Roth TSP, most of my current TSP is in traditional unfortunately.  
Well, first of all, the TSP Loan Handbook says that you cannot use a TSP loan for the purchase of land only (see last paragraph, pg3).

Second, glad to see you are above 5% for agency/service match. That's good. However, you aren't even close to the annual maximum contribution.

We are currently living 5 minutes away in a nice home we recently purchased for $100k ... appraised at $180k.   Heavy military presence in the area so selling or renting is feasible.  Could rent the home we are living in now for about $700-900 more than the mortgage payment (30 year fixed @ 4.3%)
Again, don't think you should fool yourself; the appraised value isn't going to help you sell (being in a military town might be your saving grace though; and at least it is more liquid than undeveloped land).

You don't mention if you are uniformed services or fedgov, and you haven't mentioned a VA loan, so I assume this is a conventional loan. Recent news reports say that mortgage rates may continue to drop. Maybe 1% is't worth refinancing over, but 2% could be?

Annual income is $85k, wife is stay at home mom, ages are early 30s.  Wife expects to go to work part time in the next few months as a real estate agent. My job is secure, family is within an hour and we have good neighbors.
I am assuming you are likely to remain in the same income tax bracket even if/when the wife goes back to work. I am skeptical that real estate agent is a very viable choice in this economy. If she goes back to work though, will there be other expenses (child care, another vehicle), and does the net income really more than make up for that?

The other option is to just pay it down over time with wife's extra income once she starts working OR use a HELOC or refinance our current house to pay off the land.  Once the land is paid off we would then use that as our down payment of more than 20% to do the construction loan   (Main purpose of paying it off).
I think these are both even worse ideas than a TSP loan.

No car payments, but i do have $10k in 0% credit card debt form current home renovation with balance due May 2021. $22k in cash and about $8k in a separate vanguard account.
You should focus on eliminating the credit card debt right away, but unfortunately this will take from your cash pile, which is really important right now. Unless the renovations were necessary for the function of the house, I kind of think that was a poor reason to take on debt.

Also, do you have the option to put the Vanguard money into your TSP? I don't know the exact rules but I think if it is 401k money, it can be rolled into TSP. TSP may not have quite as low fees or as many fund options as Vanguard, but it may help you for simplicity of management.

What says the hive.
View Quote

SO, yeah: you are cash poor right now, and that's a bad way to be.

So I recommend:
1) Attack the credit card debt first (yes it is 0%, but it will come due soonest of these major items)
2) Re-build your cash reserve/emergency fund (6-12 months living expenses)
3) Increase your contributions to TSP up to the annual maximum (gradually if necessary)
3) Assess whether/when to refinance the house mortgage (watch if rates will drop or not)
4) Assess whether the wife going back to work will really net significant enough additional income to be worth the effort/effect on the family dynamic
5) And last of all, set aside cash for a construction loan on the "dream house". This will necessarily be a few years down the road if you tackle items #1-4 first.

You need a place to live, but the land should be the first thing to cut loose in an emergency (if you could even find a buyer). It is not liquid, and it isn't providing a roof over your head (you say animals and garden, and all I hear is, "additional expenses").

If this seems difficult to do, then you need to find ways to either cut expenses, or increase your income. If your land has no HOA/restrictions, maybe you could find some way to rent or lease it to someone else? You would have to check if you would be allowed to do that, and also be comfortable with whatever purpose they would use the land for.

ETA: You may need to shell out a few bucks for a genuine financial advisor to put all this stuff together. You lay out most of the relevant factors, but I'm just a guy like you, trying to put those pieces together.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess it depends a lot on what "dream home" means to you. Frankly, I think you are trying to do too much, too early in life.  Your current outlay includes mortgages on $100k house, and the mortgage on the land. Plus you have significant credit card debt.

Can you stretch money and do everything you want? Maybe. Why not wait and see how the wife does at real estate - she may make a lot of cash. However, a lot of people come and go from that industry because the jobs follow the housing market. If it cools off in six months because rates are high, there won't be much money to divide up between all the agents.

Finally - as others have said, you will likely be passing up significant gains in your TSP. The opportunity cost of that loan is pretty significant.

If you are living in a renovated house, I would stay there and enjoy it for awhile, and pay aggressively on your debt (land mortgage, and credit card). When those are gone, build a plan for your house.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I wouldnt touch my TSP for anything.

You just lost $$ on the downturn and taking $$ out on a loan means you are losing even more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

SO, yeah: you are cash poor right now, and that's a bad way to be. 

View Quote

Fyi, you may have good things to say but I quit reading bc the sucky orange text is hard to see.

That being said, you stated he can't use the loan to buy bare land. I think you are making the assumption that he would be using a TSP home loan. However, his indication that the term would be 5 years indicates he is using a GP loan which can be used for anything including hookers & blow if he so desires. TSP home loans are 15 years and as you indicated, are limited to use in the purchase or construction of a home.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Biggest financial mistake I ever did in my life was cashing out my 401k during the financial crisis of 2008 to buy my home.
View Quote
I knew a lot of people that did this for remodels, putting kids through college, etc.  And then the company closed its doors.

There were a lot of very pale people in that Friday meeting.  Luckily no CPR was required.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

Fyi, you may have good things to say but I quit reading bc the sucky orange text is hard to see.

That being said, you stated he can't use the loan to buy bare land. I think you are making the assumption that he would be using a TSP home loan. However, his indication that the term would be 5 years indicates he is using a GP loan which can be used for anything including hookers & blow if he so desires. TSP home loans are 15 years and as you indicated, are limited to use in the purchase or construction of a home.
View Quote

Thank you, noted and fixed font color.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Thank you, noted and fixed font color.
View Quote

Thanks! My eyes feel much better now!

Good advice in your post.

OP, I can certainly understand having dreams and wanting to achieve them early. I was in your shoes several years ago (w/o the land though).

Don't let your dreams lead you to take a risk you may not recover from. You don't have the assets to safely accomplish your dream. Dreams take time and sacrifice.

If I were in your shoes and serious about accomplishing the dream. I would take a HELOC, pay for the electrical, sewer, & water on the land, move in a shithole mobile home that was darn near free, then sell the other house and live in the mobile home while saving for the house to be built.

An alternative that would take some cash, but I've seen people do, is to build a pole-barn, build temporary walls/rooms, live there while saving for the house.

There is no way to get a free lunch, you don't have the assets to go through a house build yet. You need to give it some more time and really focus on paying down debt and stacking up some cash...

TSP loans aren't 100% bad. I took one. But that's bc I  went on deployments that upped my pay bigly and I maxed my traditional contributions in order to increase my "liquid assets" so I could take a loan for our dream house. IE, I could have pocketed deployment money minus income taxes, or contribute to my TSP where it isn't taxed immediately and then immediately borrow it back from myself.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I retract my earlier comment about a HELOC; it could work. But I still think the priority in this economy should be to have a cash reserve. At least by waiting a while, you have a chance to see how a couple other things might work out (wife's return to work), and give yourself more time to talk to a financial advisor.

Am I reading correctly that the bare land is only 5 minutes away from your current house? I'm trying to think of a way you could use that to your advantage, but you've got 12 months @ $833/month to pay yourself for that home reno debt first. THEN you might be able to get a mobile, and rent out the current house (but, how's the wife going to feel about that)?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I called the local credit union last week, I can do a cash out refinance on my current house. We bought it way under value. This Drops my interest rate a point, pays off my land mortgage, reduces my overall mortgage payments by $400 and I have $25k cash left from the refi to throw towards the remaining mortgage or whatever else I want to do.  

After talking with the wife we would rather wait a few years until we start building so we would just continue to save money with the perks mentioned above.

No TSP loan ????, thanks for advice guys
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#28]
and I have $25k cash left from the refi to throw towards the remaining mortgage or whatever else I want to do.  
View Quote

You can use it to hit that 0% CC debt when it comes around...

ETA, a rough mental rundown on those refi numbers indicates you may be extending the term. Is it being extended?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

You can use it to hit that 0% CC debt when it comes around...

ETA, a rough mental rundown on those refi numbers indicates you may be extending the term. Is it being extended?
View Quote

No this will not extend the terms.

I have only been in the house since March.  I have to wait to refi until September at the 6 month mark.

We bought the house 45% off and renovated it over the past 2 months.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I called the local credit union last week, I can do a cash out refinance on my current house. We bought it way under value. This Drops my interest rate a point, pays off my land mortgage, reduces my overall mortgage payments by $400 and I have $25k cash left from the refi to throw towards the remaining mortgage or whatever else I want to do.  

After talking with the wife we would rather wait a few years until we start building so we would just continue to save money with the perks mentioned above. 

No TSP loan ????, thanks for advice guys
View Quote

Lot of goodness in this decision. Life is a marathon, not a sprint.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#31]

No this will not extend the terms.

I have only been in the house since March.  I have to wait to refi until September at the 6 month mark. 

We bought the house 45% off and renovated it over the past 2 months.
View Quote

Good deal!

Sounds like you have a good plan! Just pinch pennies and build up your cash reserves while hammering away debt over the next couple years and you'll have your dream house before you know it.

In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with doing some of the preliminary improvements like water hookup, electrical etc now, as finances allow. Just do it wisely.

IE, electrical, my utility still pays for new electrical on residential and residential outbuildings. If yours does as well then wait until you are building the house so you can get it done for free.
IE, water, well can be drilled any time. But municipal hookup is probably best saved for after house is built.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Well its a loan so I don't pay any penalties. I am obligated to pay it back to myself.
View Quote

What happens if you're unable to pay it for whatever reason?  Say job loss or illness.
I believe it comes due fairly quickly.  At a REALLY bad time.  
If I were in your situation I'd rather stop any further contributions and pile on paying off the land.  Then restart my contributions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By VegasEggus:

If I were in your situation I'd rather stop any further contributions and pile on paying off the land.  Then restart my contributions.
View Quote

IMHO, that's worse than taking the loan. Giving up the agency match is just dumb.

That being said, you're right, if you lose your fed Gov job, outstanding loan balance is due 90 days after separation. If not repaid it becomes a taxable (and likely penalized) distribution. I believe there is a provision that would permit the loan to continue if he were reemployed by any federal agency within that 90 days. But let's be realistic, odds are in his favor that as long as he isn't an alcoholic or drug user, abuser, molester, or violent person, his job isn't going anywhere.

Either way, it's not an issue for OP, he was able to figure out a good plan for moving forward without the TSP loan.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I would probably look into refinancing your current home, then renting it out and building a new house on your property.

How expensive of a house are you wanting to build?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I would probably look into refinancing your current home, then renting it out and building a new house on your property.

How expensive of a house are you wanting to build?
View Quote

@jaqufrost that is the plan.  Rental market is strong here due to large military presence, retirees and the coast.

Worst case we sell the house, either way we would live comfortably in it until the new home is built.  At this point earliest we start is late next year ....more realistic would be 2-3 years. If rates get even lower then we will decide to build sooner rather than later.

As far as price, I will shoot for $250k...we would like several items wrapped into the mortgage...small boat dock, driveway, garage, utilities so these are added expenses vs buying a home already built. You definitely pay more when you build your own but you get what you want.

My dad is a GC and Father in Law is a master cabinet maker. So we will definitely do a lot of work ourselves after it is dried in saving some coin.  It just needs to be well thought out, executed and not too expensive.  

All this is completely feasible on one salary with a stay at home wife for now. If the wife works than even better.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#36]

@jaqufrost that is the plan.  Rental market is strong here due to large military presence, retirees and the coast. 

Worst case we sell the house, either way we would live comfortably in it until the new home is built.  At this point earliest we start is late next year ....more realistic would be 2-3 years. If rates get even lower then we will decide to build sooner rather than later. 

As far as price, I will shoot for $250k...we would like several items wrapped into the mortgage...small boat dock, driveway, garage, utilities so these are added expenses vs buying a home already built. You definitely pay more when you build your own but you get what you want. 

My dad is a GC and Father in Law is a master cabinet maker. So we will definitely do a lot of work ourselves after it is dried in saving some coin.  It just needs to be well thought out, executed and not too expensive.  

All this is completely feasible on one salary with a stay at home wife for now. If the wife works than even better. 

View Quote

The more you post the more I think you've got it right, you just needed a little guidance to get you pointed in the general direction. You can definitely save some coin doing a lot of work yourself.

And don't underestimate how much a determined woman can do. We closed on our dream house while I was on my last deployment. With a 2 year old, newborn, and no family anywhere close, my wife single-handedly stripped out all the old carpet, pulled off all the trim and doors, sanded it all, hired a drywall guy to take care of the nasty wallpaper adhered directly to the drywall, and then painted all the rooms when that was done. I returned, painted trim & doors, hung the trim & doors, did the new floors, then we moved in. She kicked arse and had to care for a 2 y.o. & newborn at the new house while she was doing it!

If your wife is the type to dog in and help, weigh the added income of her realtor job vs the cost savings of the house. It may actually be more beneficial for her to do work at the house instead...

ETA, we didn't do everything prior to moving in, we got the house livable then moved and worked on other projects while living there. IE, the newborn didn't have a livable bedroom until he was 9 months bc we wanted to reconfigure a wall/closet layout.

Getting it dried in, getting electrical roughed in, and bedrooms/kitchen usable are the big ones. Moving in then finishing those yourselves can save big.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top