Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2021 3:09:48 PM EDT
Over the past (nearly) three years, I dropped over 40 lbs, stopped smoking, cut alcohol to 1x week (3-5 beers), and got back in the (home) gym. Feeling great, best I'd felt in years. Then the bottom dropped-out (likely low-t).

I went from nearly 240, to 190, 6'2", and 63yo. It got bad 3-4 months ago when I hit my bodyweight (195 at the time) in bench press. I've got joint issues, and most likely tendon issues as well. Got so bad I had to lay-off all exercise for a couple months. Pain has eased, so I've been slowly getting back into things, and am currently at about half the weights I was using, using higher reps. No energy at all.

Was looking around on Labdoor the other day, at some of the supps I've been using the three years, and noticed their "grade" has decreased at some point. Been using SprawlMart brand fish oil (amongst a few other supps), which now carries an "F" grade. I ordered one of the higher graded F/Os (VivaNaturals), and am hoping the difference in quality helps. I'm going to continue to find better quality stuff from other sources.

Ditto with the Orange Triad vits (C+ grade) I've been taking, upgraded those to Garden of Life Code For Men (B grade). I'm also going to give Creapure a try, as I've seem to become a non-responder to Creatine.  After hitting the lull, I stopped taking all supps. For 3-4 months (maybe a little longer, 8 week cycles), I'd also tried BPC-157. I honestly believe it helped my knee, but did nothing for shoulders and elbows (direct injections). So I've given-up on it.

Worst part is, I have no Dr. and the area I live in sucks regarding options, and I'm not going into Memphidishu for a Dr. I'm still working on finding someone fairly local who isn't simply a "patient mill", and is an actual Dr, (not a NP). Fortunately, I currently no needs for any prescribed meds, and haven't for nearly as long as I can remember.

Doubt I could afford out of pocket TRT, I know there's a gigantic thread in GD on the subject, and have tried reading bits of it here and there, but that's a lot of info to digest, much of it being "over my head". But, at my age I'm betting that's where my problem lies. Of course, without a blood panel, there's no way of knowing. Still waiting on the price request I'd given the last NP a year and a half ago. Same one took a year to get me a ColoGuard "kit".

If anyone's over 60 (or close to it), who's had a similar experience, I'm all ears.

ETA: Due to the layoff, cold weather, etc, I'm currently 207lbs, and most of what I gained went to my gut. I'm currently in the process of reducing that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Your bench was pretty good for your age / weight group.

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bench-press/lb

Keep at it and get your T checked.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I stopped drinking tap water several years ago. I drink only distilled water. My joints had been aching and my muscles were really tight.  I had read about fluoride causing issues like this. I bought several gallons of distilled water from the store for drinking and cooking. I tried it for a few days and the pains went away.  Then, I bought a water distiller.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stopped drinking tap water several years ago. I drink only distilled water. My joints had been aching and my muscles were really tight.  I had read about fluoride causing issues like this. I bought several gallons of distilled water from the store for drinking and cooking. I tried it for a few days and the pains went away.  Then, I bought a water distiller.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought a Brita Filter Pitcher a year ago, and filter the water that goes into that.

After making my OP, I've ordered some CBT oil to try for joint pain. I'm anxious to see if the hype is true.
(but not holding my breath)

I may still give the distilled water a try, since I supplement anyway.

Quoted:
Your bench was pretty good for your age / weight group.

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bench-press/lb

Keep at it and get your T checked.

That's on the "for sure" list. It's gotta be low, no way it couldn't e.

Thanks for replies.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I seriously doubt this is the cause of any of my issues (I'm blaming it all on age), however it got my attention, and I'll never buy/eat another Pure Protein Bar. I'd buy them on occasion, but have eaten several over the past year.

Long-term or chronic exposure to lower levels of heavy metals may cause symptoms that develop slowly over time. Symptoms may include:

Headache
Weakness
Tiredness
Muscle pain
Joint pain
Constipation
View Quote

(Bolded those that apply)

https://labdoor.com/review/pure-protein#see-more

Heavy Metal ScreeningsFail (see full report)
View Quote

I can't see "Full Report" since it appears you need a social media account to do so

I was shocked at the difference between the SprawlMart Fish Oil:

https://labdoor.com/review/spring-valley-fish-oil#see-more

And the VivaNaturals I've just switched to:

https://labdoor.com/review/viva-naturals-triple-strength-omega-3-fish-o#see-more
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top