Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2022 12:41:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest]
I decided I want some nicer Headphones. I've become a fan of Beyerdynamic for its build quality, comfort, and sound.

Bought the Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X closed-back headphones. I am not blown away by the sound yet (not that it's bad), but the comfort is exceptional. They have velvet? ear cups that are super soft.

Feeding this right now:

PC > HRT Music Streamer 2 DAC > Schiit Magnius Headphone Amp > Headphones

I don't even really need a headphone amp for these, but for many stupid reasons decided I wanted to go with one.

The next step is to get the Schiit Modius DAC and hook it up to the Magnius with Balanced cables.

Pic for reference
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:40:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#1]
Still loving this setup.

Here's a pic of the headphone amp:
Attachment Attached File

The volume knob (one of the reasons I bought this model) is silky smooth with a good level of resistance. No cracking or popping when adjusting volume.

Here's a pic of the internals.  Notice the large volume knob. :)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I started with the Schiit Modi/Magni, then moved up to the Magnius/Modius (AKM) stack.

I just finished setting up a Gungnir and a Mjolnir 2.

It never ends.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:47:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#3]
I am using this DAC/AMP
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

with Drop HD6xx

Drop DT 177X go

and drop HE-4XX
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MBentz:
I started with the Schiit Modi/Magni, then moved up to the Magnius/Modius (AKM) stack.

I just finished setting up a Gungnir and a Mjolnir 2.

It never ends.
View Quote

I just bought a Schiit Modius, so now I have the Magnius / Modius stack in black

My balanced cables come later this week.  It sounds good, but not a whole lot different than my old DAC (HRT Musicstreamer II)

However, I'm happy with it, and it's pretty much the "end of the road" for my "Stack" unless I want to buy an EQ...

Still loving the headphones!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you listening to? At some point, the recording quality becomes the bottleneck. Loudness wars severely limits the SQ of a lot of music.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bigx5murf:
What are you listening to? At some point, the recording quality becomes the bottleneck. Loudness wars severely limits the SQ of a lot of music.
View Quote

Everything. Youtube videos, MP3, FLAC files ripped from CDs...
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#7]
look for movie sound tracks. often they dont have the massive compression that most modern music has.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By djkest:

I just bought a Schiit Modius, so now I have the Magnius / Modius stack in black

My balanced cables come later this week.  It sounds good, but not a whole lot different than my old DAC (HRT Musicstreamer II)

However, I'm happy with it, and it's pretty much the "end of the road" for my "Stack" unless I want to buy an EQ...

Still loving the headphones!
View Quote

I rocked the Modius/Magnius for over two years. Really enjoyed it. Then a few months ago I started looking at adding some warmth to the music.

I need to get rid of some headphones now. Too many mid-fi cans when I could have one or two pairs of TOTL cans.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:30:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mars87] [#9]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I am using this DAC/AMP
www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQW1WFX

with Drop HD6xx

Drop DT 177X go

and drop HE-4XX
View Quote

I owned the 4XX and still own the 6XX. When people say you can buy the 6XXs and stop there, they aren't wrong. I did always want to try the 177X Go. My first nice set of headphones were the Beyer DT770s.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#10]

I owned the 4XX and still own the 6XX. When people say you can buy the 6XXs and stop there, they aren't wrong. I did always want to try the 177X Go. My first nice set of headphones were the Beyer DT770s.
View Quote
I bought them because I was looking for a good musical set of closed back. I am pretty happy with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well there's your problem. None of those sources are known for particularly good recording quality, except maybe FLAC ripped from CDs. Even then, it is heavily genre dependent.

Originally Posted By slappomatt:
look for movie sound tracks. often they dont have the massive compression that most modern music has.

These are one of the genres that's usually better in terms of recording quality. Other's to look for, Jazz, Orchestra, Classical. Anything popular, and mainstream, you can assume they're heavily compressed as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Adorama was blowing out new Focal Elegia's for $300 last week, so of course I FO'ed. They sound damn good for $300 so far.

Makes me wonder about the Radiance. Or a used set of Utopias...
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:28:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Adorama was blowing out new Focal Elegia's for $300 last week, so of course I FO'ed. They sound damn good for $300 so far.

Makes me wonder about the Radiance. Or a used set of Utopias...
View Quote

Those look pretty cool. I don't know what "Focal Sound" is like but these Beyerdynamics I'm currently rocking have the sound signature I like and they are so comfortable.

My "Snake Oil" Balanced link came yesterday.

https://snakeoilsound.com/products/hardwood-balanced-xlr-mini-link-interconnect-for-schiit-modius-magnius-free-shipping-to-usa

This thing.

Weird thing though... it's noticeably louder with this compared to RCA cables. Maybe they are lower impedance?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Those look pretty cool. I don't know what "Focal Sound" is like but these Beyerdynamics I'm currently rocking have the sound signature I like and they are so comfortable.

https://snakeoilsound.com/products/hardwood-balanced-xlr-mini-link-interconnect-for-schiit-modius-magnius-free-shipping-to-usa

This thing.

Weird thing though... it's noticeably louder with this compared to RCA cables. Maybe they are lower impedance?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This thing.

If you're running balanced you have significantly more power available to you.

Balanced Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 5.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 3.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 1000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 500mW RMS per channel

Single-Ended Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 300mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 150mW RMS per channel
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#15]

If you're running balanced you have significantly more power available to you.

View Quote

Sweet!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top