Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2022 2:11:28 PM EDT
So...simple enough, Got a new house being built, and after having the last several places completely reliant on wireless, I want this place wired up with a robust internal network that's going to be fine for a long while.

While I can completely understand real world performance between cheery picked file sizes and typical data loads, I would still like to have 10GbE internal connectivity to certain areas for use with a local NAS and media server, but also realize that some areas will not benefit at all from that much bandwidth.

Already have in mind to use Synology for the NAS, but still in the planning stages, and I don't know what all is out there, so well open to suggestions. They seem to have the better customer service between them and QNAP on purpose built NAS enclosures that are 10GbE capable with 4-6 bays.

I am planning on roughly 6-8 PoE security cameras. While I would LIKE to have the ability to get alerts to events while I'm away, I have no problem with this being isolated and completely closed circuit. These I reason would be easily covered with a simple Gigabit ethernet connection, so 10GbE would probably be wasted on these devices.

What I would like to get is some recommendations on decent equipment. Anything to look out for on setup/wiring/etc.

Still in the planning stage, but wouldn't bother me to start gathering equipment and getting things setup on a small scale so it's ready to drop in and go.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look here. I have seen at least one thread recently on the topic:

https://www.snbforums.com/
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran shielded Cat-6A throughout my house in 2015 and have had zero regrets. When the time came for 10G equipment, wiring was not something I had to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So...simple enough, Got a new house being built, and after having the last several places completely reliant on wireless, I want this place wired up with a robust internal network that's going to be fine for a long while.

While I can completely understand real world performance between cheery picked file sizes and typical data loads, I would still like to have 10GbE internal connectivity to certain areas for use with a local NAS and media server, but also realize that some areas will not benefit at all from that much bandwidth.

Already have in mind to use Synology for the NAS, but still in the planning stages, and I don't know what all is out there, so well open to suggestions. They seem to have the better customer service between them and QNAP on purpose built NAS enclosures that are 10GbE capable with 4-6 bays.

I am planning on roughly 6-8 PoE security cameras. While I would LIKE to have the ability to get alerts to events while I'm away, I have no problem with this being isolated and completely closed circuit. These I reason would be easily covered with a simple Gigabit ethernet connection, so 10GbE would probably be wasted on these devices.

What I would like to get is some recommendations on decent equipment. Anything to look out for on setup/wiring/etc.

Still in the planning stage, but wouldn't bother me to start gathering equipment and getting things setup on a small scale so it's ready to drop in and go.
View Quote

I’m going to assume you’re willing to run with a “Prosumer” level budget here.

The gold standard for reasonable price with good capability is Ubiquiti for wireless and PoE switching. For router, I really like Netgate / pfSense but, admittedly, these require you to know a little networking to get them performing. Ubiquiti Security Gateway is Ubiquiti’s router and it looks a little less involved than pfSense from a technical standpoint.

You may not really need a decent router. A Walmart router might really be good enough. If your cameras make an outbound connection to a service to provide notifications and you don’t need a vpn to your home network, a cheap router is probably fine. If you need connectivity inbound directly to your home network, you’ll need a real router.

If you go with Ubiquiti switching and wireless make damn sure you use the UniFi branded equipment and the UniFi central controller. The UniFi controller makes it dead easy. You can install the controller on an old desktop no longer in use, or it can be purchase as an appliance from Ubiquiti.

For physical infrastructure, if you want reliably 10gb Ethernet, you’ll likely have to run shielded cable with shielded connectors. Cat-6A should work. For RJ-45 ends, you’ll need shielded connectors. For wall jacks, you can get shielded keystone jacks.

For the patch panel, you can get a shielded version of the traditional punch down patch panel. If you prefer a modular patch panel that you install keystones in, use the aforementioned shielded keystone jacks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For physical infrastructure, if you want reliably 10gb Ethernet, you’ll likely have to run shielded cable with shielded connectors. Cat-6A should work. For RJ-45 ends, you’ll need shielded connectors. For wall jacks, you can get shielded keystone jacks.
View Quote

When I set out to do the wiring in my house, I could not find any data indicating that unshielded Cat-6A reliably carried 10GBASE-T. But I knew that shielded cable and jacks could work just fine with unshielded peripherals.

Vertical Cable Cat6A 10G, Shielded, 23AWG, Solid Bare Copper, PVC, 1000ft, Bulk Ethernet Cable, Blue

Leviton 6ASJK-RW6 QuickPort Atlas-X1 CAT6A RJ45 Jack Module, Shielded, White

These are the two components I used. For 10GBASE-T, using sloppy punch-down terminations can likely cause problems. These jacks prevent that by preserving twist.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gigabit would be nearly wasted on them too.

I have 20+ 8MP cams doing 30 FPS w/ h264 and a bitrate of something like 11264... so basically maxed out/overkill settings. Each camera is only pushing ~18 mbps. 6-8 4MP cams doing around ~20 FPS shouldn't be able to even saturate a 100 mbps switch.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
CAT6A is the way to go.  I have a 10GbE backbone in my house, though I ran all the ethernet cable afterwards.  You're in a great spot prior to the house build.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Cat6a is perfect for this (as others have said).
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CAT6A is the way to go.  I have a 10GbE backbone in my house, though I ran all the ethernet cable afterwards.  You're in a great spot prior to the house build.
View Quote

I became intimately familiar with my crawl space. Then I had nightmares about being trapped down there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top