Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2021 7:25:15 PM EDT
If you haven't seen this yet, you should. It's on Amazon prime.
Unknown Soldier – Official Trailer
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the novel but haven't cracked it open yet.  A local Finn I know told me that the kids are required to read it in school.  When their WW II vets were still alive, they used to shower them with honor and gratitude.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd been meaning to see that, but had forgotten it's name. Thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have the novel but haven't cracked it open yet.  A local Finn I know told me that the kids are required to read it in school.  When their WW II vets were still alive, they used to shower them with honor and gratitude.
View Quote

I've got it in a box with other books too. Once I ever get unpacked and find it I need to read it too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks OP. I much prefer foreign movies.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
It's really good, well worth watching.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
"Frozen hell" is a good non fiction book on subject
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
My parents are Hungarian and we spoke/speak it at their home.  It’s interesting to hear Finnish because it, like Hungarian, is part of the Finni-Ugrian languages and it sounds “familiar” even though I don’t understand it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"Frozen hell" is a good non fiction book on subject
View Quote

+1.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought the 1955 version was good too if you can find it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unknown_Soldier_(1955_film)
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTYesNj_sBg
View Quote

Got to watch this movie....Thanks OP
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#12]
watched it last night. great movie. most of the characters are based on real individuals of the Karelian Battalion

most of these men lived in the area that they were fighting for, their homes had been seized by Soviet forces during the Winter War.

the character of Rokka is based on Viljam Pylkäs.  the guy killed 83 Soviet soldiers with a Suomi SMG in his famed encounter

http://www.ww2incolor.com/finnish_forces/Pylk__s.html

Viljam Pylkäs (1912–1999) mostly known for his heroic act during Continuation War, when he repelled an enemy assault, killing atleast 83 of the attackers alone. He is the model for hero character "Rokka" of the book and movies "Tuntematon Sotilas"(Unknown Soldier)
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll have to watch it later. I thought I had already saw it, but from watching the trailer I haven't. I saw another somewhat recent Finnish WWII movie that was decent. The name of which escapes me. Also, another one that I can't recall the name of, a movie from a Hungarian soldier's perspective on the Eastern Front. Both were on YouTube.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Op
Someone mentioned it here awhile ago, but I couldn’t find it available anywhere at the time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#15]
also this is the second Finnish war movie I've seen where they appear to be blowing the fuck out of the forest for real

there is a scene in it where some of the soldiers are taking cover behind a boulder during an arty strike and you can see wood fragments hitting the moss on the rock. damn.

a lot of the forest fighting scenes look like the area I live in, down to the underbrush and ground cover

the scene fighting the T-34s in the forest was very well done with the tank just busting over logs and debris to try and get through
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
also this is the second Finnish war movie I've seen where they appear to be blowing the fuck out of the forest for real

there is a scene in it where some of the soldiers are taking cover behind a boulder during an arty strike and you can see wood fragments hitting the moss on the rock. damn.

a lot of the forest fighting scenes look like the area I live in, down to the underbrush and ground cover

the scene fighting the T-34s in the forest was very well done with the tank just busting over logs and debris to try and get through
View Quote

The artillery was really done. as were the sounds for the shooting (especially with good headphones on)
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll have to watch it later. I thought I had already saw it, but from watching the trailer I haven't. I saw another somewhat recent Finnish WWII movie that was decent. The name of which escapes me. Also, another one that I can't recall the name of, a movie from a Hungarian soldier's perspective on the Eastern Front. Both were on YouTube.
View Quote

If you can find this one Id love to watch it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I've posted a few times with lists of very good Finnish war movies

Found out about this one too late to get on it as an extra, sadly.
Know a few of the blokes that were in it (extras, not main cast)

Also - as per normal for Scotland - there was as UK Premier of the movie when it was released at a small Film Festival in Glasgow.
Next to zero publicity, I literally found out about the film the day of the festival, but it had sold out.
The director was there for the premier as were about 4 or 5 of the main cast

Been doing Finnish portrayal as a re-enactor for a few years now.
It's a very great period in Finnish history and too overlooked in the rest of the world, the sacrifices they made; hence a small attempt to educate a few folk on what went on & how "Uncle Joe" was  not a cuddly peace loving communist victim of Hitlers expansionist policy.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Last time I was in Finland I made it out east to savonlinna and close to joensuu. The forests are thick, the ground is soft with plenty of undergrowth. it would make for some close combat and You can easily stack trees in your line of sight for concealment.

For the filming there is no shortage of remote, wilderness in many parts of Finland to use.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The artillery was really done. as were the sounds for the shooting (especially with good headphones on)
View Quote

one of the scenes has spent 9mm cases from a Suomi hitting the camera lens

and yes like you said you can tell the sounds are not post production, there is a lot of variation in pitch and the difference in report in forest area vs clearing is very distinct

Finland definitely does WWII movies well
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]
One of the stories from the set, was that they had a crew of guys doing nothing for the whole shoot period, apart from fill Maxim belts with ammunition using the old issue belt loading devices.

I used one of those gizmos at a WW2 show in 2019.
It was amazing - we were giggling like schoolgirls, it was so much fun to do!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I honestly didnt have high hopes for the newest, 3rd version of the Unknown Soldier, but its good.

I sent a DVD of it to LAV also, dont know if he has been able to play it.

Funny thing is that the opening scene on the barracks square ( Paloaukea ), the real one is quite near to us. 

This is near to the city of Joensuu, mentioned above.

Our kids have gone to school/day care on the old garrison grounds.

We also conducted a c. 50km ruck land nav from that garrison to ours ( against an unknown time standard and followed by a HF radio transmit test, to earn our unit patch )
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Last time I was in Finland I made it out east to savonlinna and close to joensuu. The forests are thick, the ground is soft with plenty of undergrowth. it would make for some close combat and You can easily stack trees in your line of sight for concealment.

For the filming there is no shortage of remote, wilderness in many parts of Finland to use.
View Quote

one of the things the movie showed very well is how long it can take to cross 100yd clearing in thick forest like that and how it's almost impossible to move without exposing yourself, despite the availability of cover, since moving any distance requires climbing over treefall and small mounds, etc.  and then the next thing you know there are 2-3 enemies behind a cluster of stumps that you never saw from across that clearing until you were right on top of them.

having not seen any real footage of the Finnish wars before, it looked like a war being fought in my backyard

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTYesNj_sBg
View Quote

It's on Prime, but is not included with Prime...you have to rent it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I honestly didnt have high hopes for the newest, 3rd version of the Unknown Soldier, but its good.

I sent a DVD of it to LAV also, dont know if he has been able to play it.

Funny thing is that the opening scene on the barracks square ( Paloaukea ), the real one is quite near to us. 

This is near to the city of Joensuu, mentioned above.

Our kids have gone to school/day care on the old garrison grounds.

We also conducted a c. 50km ruck land nav from that garrison to ours ( against an unknown time standard and followed by a HF radio transmit test, to earn our unit patch )
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I've watched it.  Good flick.  I love Finnish war movies.  They do a great job usually.  

I'm gonna tell the wife it's a love story to get her to watch it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've watched it.  Good flick.  I love Finnish war movies.  They do a great job usually.  

I'm gonna tell the wife it's a love story to get her to watch it.
View Quote

Kalinka girl was smokin hot
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Excellent Movie
watched it twice
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@NoMoAMMO

Found it. It's Dear Elza.

Also the "Finnish" movie I was thinking of was actually Estonian. It's 1944.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Its a great flick.  Didnt know Finnish cinema was so tier 1.  Gonna see what else I can find.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Wish I could watch them but with no fast internet I cannot.

Been finding out that some Sami relatives did fight in Norway and Finland.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:40:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wish I could watch them but with no fast internet I cannot.

Been finding out that some Sami relatives did fight in Norway and Finland.

View Quote

Dang, that looks good.

I haven't seen anything but the trailer yet, but they seem to have included an early war model T-34. That might be because that's the ones they had most available for filming (wonder how that happened?), but still, nice attention to detail.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Had no idea this movie existed. Thanks OP! I will watch this over dinner tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:28:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could be a Ridley Scott situation.

The forested area used for the intro battle of Gladiator was scheduled to be cut down by the forestry service, and they gave him permission to “deforest” it as much as he wanted for filming.

Said Scott: “Deforest it, hell, I’ll burn the whole fuckin’ thing down.”
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

one of the things the movie showed very well is how long it can take to cross 100yd clearing in thick forest like that and how it's almost impossible to move without exposing yourself, despite the availability of cover, since moving any distance requires climbing over treefall and small mounds, etc.  and then the next thing you know there are 2-3 enemies behind a cluster of stumps that you never saw from across that clearing until you were right on top of them.

having not seen any real footage of the Finnish wars before, it looked like a war being fought in my backyard

http://www.willhiteweb.com/washington/fire_lookouts/tahuya/tahuya-lookout-view.jpg
View Quote

Makes me miss being in washington. Both of my grandparents came from finland. My grandpa fought in viipuri during the war. After shit went sideways, he came to the states with my grandma and moved to washington.
Loads of finns moved to the aberdeen area, because it looked like home. Aberdeen to silverdale, and north. The area is littered with finns.
Same with the upper peninsula of michigan and lake worth florida.

Honestly, western finland is the last bastion of true white people. Its the actual genetic phenotype of a what people imagine a white person to be.
They’ll likely stay that way too, as finns typically arent friendly to non whites and foreigners, the language is exceptionally hard (sounds like a russian/spanish mix, and sentences are formed by adding prefixes/suffixes to the starting nouns), and they value personal space/privacy/and silence.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#37]
It's showing I must rent.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might care to read Goodbye Transylvania. It’s a bit of a misnomer in the subtitle “A Romanian soldier...” as he was an ethnic German but from the Székely portion of Transylvania.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Tag
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@NoMoAMMO

Found it. It's Dear Elza.

Also the "Finnish" movie I was thinking of was actually Estonian. It's 1944.

View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You might care to read Goodbye Transylvania. It’s a bit of a misnomer in the subtitle “A Romanian soldier...” as he was an ethnic German but from the Székely portion of Transylvania.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/6F2CED09-8270-46E7-AFA3-3A370CA45A9A_jpe-1905501.JPG

View Quote

Read it a few years back. I mostly read personal accounts and most of those are Eastern Front related. One of these days I'll get the new house setup so I can actually have my books out of boxes again!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Honestly, western finland is the last bastion of true white people. Its the actual genetic phenotype of a what people imagine a white person to be.
They’ll likely stay that way too, as finns typically arent friendly to non whites and foreigners, the language is exceptionally hard (sounds like a russian/spanish mix, and sentences are formed by adding prefixes/suffixes to the starting nouns), and they value personal space/privacy/and silence.
View Quote

Finns aren't white.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#43]
We did this thread recently https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Finnish-WWII-Movie-1944-The-Final-Defense/5-2435502/

It’s been mentioned in this one but the Estonian movie 1944 has the battle of Sinimaëd Hills depicted. This is where my grandpa and great uncle fought.
 Stalin’s plan was to finish off the forces here and then mount an air and sea campaign to take Finland. Had the line not held,there is a good chance that Finland would also have fallen. At least something came out of it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top