Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2021 3:35:45 PM EDT
In case anyone was looking for a bottle of George T. Stagg, I saw one in the wild today.
I won't mention any names, but it is the liquor store on the South side of Sheboygan, WI that has a reputation for
way overpricing their allotted bottles. (and some others as well)

BUT. The asking price is $2K. (Right in line with pricing on the internet, and they admit that is how they do their pricing)

Well I guess I'll check in there once a month or so just to see how long it sits on the shelf.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, that's ridiculous.  If you can, take a pic of the bottle and price and forward it to Buffalo Trace.  I've heard they're not fond of such practices.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What year?

There is a local shop that has a 2003 bottle for $6500
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What year?

There is a local shop that has a 2003 bottle for $6500
View Quote

Not sure what year, but it wasn't there a couple of weeks ago when I was there last, so I assume it is a recent arrival.
(I mostly go there to see what they have and to check their prices. I can usually get the same things elsewhere for the same price or better.
I refuse to buy from them unless they are the only ones who have what I want, and no-one else can GET what I want.)
They have a bottle of Old Fitzgerald 11yr Bottled in Bond for like $899.
On some things they aren't too bad, or I should say no worse than anyone else, but on some things they are CRAZY!

It seems like in the last few weeks the store I usually go to has gotten a few of the "allocated" bottles, among them some
Col. E.H. Taylor small batch and single barrel. (I grabbed a bottle of small batch for future consumption. I might just have to go back for the single barrel, but am in no hurry because of my sinuses.)
I also think my normal choice of store has a better variety of bottles, both "rare" and non-rare, besides just being WAY closer.
Plus I have found a gas station that has a surprising little liquor supply. I've been in there many times, just for gas and never looked around.
This last time I did look around and it had several bottles of Buffalo Trace bourbon and Four Roses among others.

I get making money, but when you buy something you shouldn't feel like you need to ask for a kiss because you just got screwed.
You can make money, and still make your customer feel like he is getting a good deal.  (That way he will buy from you again. It's a GOOD business practice)

As far as getting in touch with Buffalo Trace, I think this place knows what they think. It is behind glass, and no sticker price is visible.
I had to ask someone behind the counter to look it up for me, and I was pretty sure what it was going to be. (It was)

On the 2003 bottle, I think I know what they are doing. I have seen some websites advertise (or state) that it is 100% Stitzel-Weller. To them
this means it is the older, better stuff and therefore more desirable. (And more expensive)
Not much I can do except take a pass on buying from them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently heard a guy talking about how his buddy won two bottles of pappy at a fundraiser.  A bottle of 23 and a bottle of lot b.  He had $100 invested in raffle tickets.  Some genius allegedly gave hive $5200 for both bottles.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that I would keep them if I won them in a raffle. Up here the only way to get them is to pay whatever price
is being asked at whatever store that has them, or order them off the internet. So if you win one in a raffle, or maybe like in the states
that have ABC, where you win the chance to get one bottle of whatever at retail, YOU KEEP THOSE!!
Then, when the time comes, you savor EVERY DROP!

However, for me, who is just starting out, the ability to appreciate them is probably several years away.
(If ever, as my tastes are usually rather simple.)
But no harm in trying. At the very least if I won it, I would have a cool story to tell.

But I actually have a few questions, now that I think about it.
I've seen online prices vary, usually by year. Are certain years deemed "better" than others?
Which ones, and how was this decided, and where can you go to find this out? And what was this decision based on?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess what he is waiting for is some rich Chicago golfer to come to golf Whistling Straits golf course
and stop by and lay down the cash for it.
It took me five minutes and I found it online for about half that price. Imagine what I could find if I
really spent some time looking.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
This stuff?

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Last one I picked up was $399 I think. Still have it. Drank the other I had. Places without ABC stores have secondary market shenanigans. Like here in AZ. Gotta find the deals when every store has absurd prices.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#13]
A friend had a few folks over for a Christmas dinner party a couple of weeks ago.  He broke out a bottle of Pappy 23 and we drank it.  Certainly the most expensive stuff I’ve ever had.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, but you guys get Weller 12 on supermarket end caps.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last one I picked up was $399 I think. Still have it. Drank the other I had. Places without ABC stores have secondary market shenanigans. Like here in AZ. Gotta find the deals when every store has absurd prices.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20201023_185827_jpg-2219370.JPG

Yeah, but you guys get Weller 12 on supermarket end caps.....

We got lucky as hell lol. I haven't seen a Weller in Walmart in over a year. Pic my wife sent me for proof. Damn that was an amazing find. I love that woman.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We got lucky as hell lol. I haven't seen a Weller in Walmart in over a year. Pic my wife sent me for proof. Damn that was an amazing find. I love that woman.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20200824_131034_jpg-2234780.JPG
View Quote

Go back 8 years and that was pretty normal. Weller 12 and Elmer T Lee were great and less than $40. Now they are unobtainable or $200+ around me on the secondary market
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember the days I used to casually walk into a liquor store and drop $30 for Eagle Rare & Weller 12, and sometimes I'd splurge and buy some Blanton's.

Good bourbon at a decent price.

It really pisses me off what the bourbon market has become over the past decade.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I guy I work with recently smuggled a bottle of what ever the fancy hand painted tequila is called, in from Mexico.  

for the kit he bought, he paid $1500 us and it's selling online for a lil North if $5k.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Well it has been a while, but it is now my turn to brag. (Just a bit)

One of the local grocery stores that has a liquor department started getting some allocated bottles.
(Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace and they are being sold at MSRP - $36)
They were also holding a raffle to be able to buy a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 12 yr old Lot B.
Buy a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve and get an entry form to fill out and submit.
So I figured  "What the Hell, Why Not?"  
So Friday I get home and there is a message on the answering machine saying my name was pulled and was I
still interested? If so please call and let us know. So yesterday I called, and then stopped in to pick it up.
Paid for it and it was $158 and some change, so I assume it was right at MSRP.  It sure made my day, and this was
coming off a kinda crappy week, so it helped brighten things up.

What do y'all got?  Any good stories?
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Can you PM me where. I’ll be at a client in Sheboygan tomorrow. I’m not dropping that kind if coin, but I’d like to look around that store.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Congrats, hope you enjoy it.

View Quote

It will be a while as my palate and sinuses are still wonky, but I most certainly will.
(Or at least try)
My brother is soon to be retiring from the Air National guard (E8 and near 30 years)
and I figure to open it then and give him and my father a taste. (Either this year or next for sure)
I also plan to get him a few good bottles.  For Christmas this year I got him three bottles:
a Scotch, an Irish Whiskey and a bourbon and told him to figure out which one he likes
and I figure to get him something good, something outstanding and something special.
It all just depends on what he likes.

Right now it is in my safe for protection as it is something that I won't be able to replace at the price I paid.
But I am most definitely looking forward to enjoying it.  

Anybody else have some good stories of a bottle that you finally scored?  Let's hear them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top