Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/15/2021 1:01:56 PM EDT
I need the hives thoughts!

There’s a toxic liberal at my gym.  Practically every day he’s been in the gym for the past three months he wants to talk politics, ranting & raving, cussing up a storm like it proves his point more, about Trump and his supporters.  He’s said “true Americans vote democrat”, that he “bought a 9mm because some Trump supporter might rape his daughter”, “people who support Trump are nazis”, and that “no true Christian would support Trump.”

I’ve never engaged before and he had no idea I was a conservative until... I told him to his face when he asked last weekend who I voted for after one of his usual tirades.  It blew his mind that I wasn’t liberal; he had no idea and didn’t see that coming lol.  

Now I’m not at the gym to talk except saying the usual friendly things to the regulars you see all the time.  I’m there to workout as it’s a gym, not a chat session.  

I think it’s a safe bet that he’s going to keep bringing it up as he said last week he’s going out of his way to “call out” anyone who supported President Trump.  He got into a cussing match with one other member that I’ve heard of over it, but I wasn’t there that day.  

I’m thinking, nope, you’re not going to heckle me.  My beliefs are not up for debate to anyone, least of all to someone like him.

When he brings it up this weekend I plan to tell him that it’s a gym, not a political forum, that I’m there to workout, and ask him if he can respect my wishes and agree to disagree.  Something tells me this unhinged fellow isn’t going to leave it be.

Should I:
1. Ignore him, put the headphones in, and workout.  
2. Quietly record audio of him lose his mind & play it to management and get his membership terminated - which would likely lead to me having to switch gyms since I don’t want my car vandalized as he’ll know it was me.  Recording laws in my state appear to allow this.
3. Something else?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Combination of 1 and 2
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ignore him
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Put your earbuds on. Problem solved.  You are the one allowing the problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd just ignore him. Or maybe mention something to the gym about this guy causing issues. Or maybe get a new gym.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Should I:
2. Quietly record audio of him lose his mind & play it to management and get his membership terminated - which would likely lead to me having to switch gyms since I don’t want my car vandalized as he’ll know it was me.  Recording laws in my state appear to allow this.
3. Something else?
View Quote

Based on your post, I would think this is already in play.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely 2. Record everything.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm gonna go with option C - set him on fire in the parking lot and enjoy the 10 minutes of peace?

Or would that be too grim?

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Throw forty-five pound plates at him until he stops bleeding?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Find a gym where people go to workout and not jaw jack.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Piss on him to establish dominance.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#11]
They're kind of like women, the more you argue with them, the more psycho they get. It's pointless
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Why do you talk to anyone at the gym?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Spot him when he's lifting weights and hopefully the barbell doesn't slip out of you hands and crush his wind pipe.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ignore him
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Liberals discovering the people around them that voted for Trump are like Boomers discovering the people around them that smoke weed.

They think it's some distant boogie man, hiding in the shadows, raping your dogs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Just say, your nuts and you smell out loud, embarrass him.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I go to a gym to workout, not talk. Put your headphones in and MYOB
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I would have a talk with management. There is no reasoning with him.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Ask him if he likes riding in helicopters?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Option 2.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Stop going.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They're kind of like women, the more you argue with them, the more psycho they get. It's pointless
View Quote

That right there is a video opportunity. 'Twould be a shame if the OP obliged us, just a cryin' shame.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Make note of the guy.  He is dangerous and will become or is a leftwing brownshirt.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Record him on a tirade and turn it in anonymously to the gym or management.  Say you feel uncomfortable working out and this guy attacking people over political beliefs while you work out.  Otherwise MYOB and politely tell him to fuck off if he approaches you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I would try to engage in a civil discussion with him because the more the leftist spew their BS, the more it becomes normalized.  Do it in public in front of anyone that wants to ease drop.  Be polite and calm, kill him with kindness.  That will likely push him over the edge because it goes against his brainwashed narrative.

Record the whole thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Put earbuds in and ignore him.  But, also tell the management that you (and maybe others) will drop your membership and go somewhere else if his tirades continue.  
Park your car someplace else.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Combination of 1 and 2
View Quote

Plus have front and rear dash cams in car.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#31]
If I were at a gym that a dude like that, I would speak with the owner. If the owner didn't handle it, I would leave. If there was some form of "contract" remaining, I would file a complaint with the states AG office against the owner and the BBB.

Its the owners responsibility to handle it, not yours.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Is acting like you don't understand English an option?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#33]
This is an opportunity.

I'd wear a maga shirt or hat every fucking day.

I do sets pull ups with up to a 45# bumper though so this kind of assumes you are somehow visibly demonstrating that you can back your signal.

If you can throw hands, bring a couple sets of gloves with you and see if he wants to have a little fun. It's a gym after all.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Easy. Ask to see pics of daughter!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I would literally just start mocking him.  Start calling him pedophile and child fondler.  Ask him if he needs spotted since he's such a bitch.  Challenge him to a duel.  just make it uncomfortable for him every time he sees you. He'll avoid you.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ignore him
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
I'd just ignore him. Or maybe mention something to the gym about this guy causing issues. Or maybe get a new gym.
View Quote

The problem is, weve been doing this for years and look how its turned out...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. In 5 years of going to the same gym, I haven't had a conversation with a single human being. On purpose.

I ain't there to listen to, or talk to, retards.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#38]
There’s a guy that goes to my gym that has a Bernie sticker on his car. I bought a Ramones “Kill a Commie for Mommy” shirt and keep it in my car and throw it on whenever I see his car
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Ask your husband to talk with him...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Liberals discovering the people around them that voted for Trump are like Boomers discovering the people around them that smoke weed.

They think it's some distant boogie man, hiding in the shadows, raping your dogs.
View Quote

I thought all the late 60s hippies were boomers?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Gather any like minded people you know at the gym and complain to management.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Easy. Ask to see pics of daughter!
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I need the hives thoughts!

There’s a toxic liberal at my gym.  Practically every day he’s been in the gym for the past three months he wants to talk politics, ranting & raving, cussing up a storm like it proves his point more, about Trump and his supporters.  He’s said “true Americans vote democrat”, that he “bought a 9mm because some Trump supporter might rape his daughter”, “people who support Trump are nazis”, and that “no true Christian would support Trump.”

I’ve never engaged before and he had no idea I was a conservative until... I told him to his face when he asked last weekend who I voted for after one of his usual tirades.  It blew his mind that I wasn’t liberal; he had no idea and didn’t see that coming lol.  

Now I’m not at the gym to talk except saying the usual friendly things to the regulars you see all the time.  I’m there to workout as it’s a gym, not a chat session.  

I think it’s a safe bet that he’s going to keep bringing it up as he said last week he’s going out of his way to “call out” anyone who supported President Trump.  He got into a cussing match with one other member that I’ve heard of over it, but I wasn’t there that day.  

I’m thinking, nope, you’re not going to heckle me.  My beliefs are not up for debate to anyone, least of all to someone like him.

When he brings it up this weekend I plan to tell him that it’s a gym, not a political forum, that I’m there to workout, and ask him if he can respect my wishes and agree to disagree.  Something tells me this unhinged fellow isn’t going to leave it be.

Should I:
3. Something else?
View Quote

Film him to his face... while telling him to leave you the fuck alone...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I simply cannot understand how politicians that give no shits for the common man, are able to control what people do, think, and act.

Why give them the power over you?

Why would some acquaintance think they have some power to persuade me from my personal convictions?

Don't get me wrong.  I like to learn and am open to various perspectives, but when an unhinged person is trying to come at me they do not last long in my presence.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Talk to the gym management and say he is being disruptive to you and others.

Fuck him.
View Quote

I would have to imagine that they know this already??
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This. In 5 years of going to the same gym, I haven't had a conversation with a single human being. On purpose.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#47]
lol...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Plot twist: unhinged liberal is OPs alternate personality.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Combination of 1 and 2
View Quote

This.  Post on youtube.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Definitely 2. Record everything.
View Quote

After a few months of this guy spouting off, other patrons would have assumingly done this also/already. Perhaps management already knows...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top